Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Still pain free / Massage

Posted by Lee M. on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016513)

Sorry it took me so long to respond.
Physical therapy 3 x per week. When the therapist first started, my heel was so tender I would come off the table if he touched the center of my heel. He started at my calf, worked down to my ankle area and then into arch and then heel area. It took about a month before he could touch my heel. He believes it's all related to circulation. I am a hairstylist so I'm in one place all day.
I used to always have leg cramps at night. They also went away with the massage. IMPORTANT; I also massaged my leg, ankle and foot, by hand and with a 'Thumper' massage device. Oh, I always let my foot set on a heating pad for about 10 min before I started massage. Ice never helped me, so I stopped using it all together. I had much quicker response to the therapy than some of the other patients. The therapist believes it's because I was active in my treatment.
I was desperate to get rid of the pain. Standing all day was really starting to get to me. I did the massage morning and night and I always stretch in the morning.
Don't give up trying, pain free feels great. Hope this information helps someone.

Re: Still pain free / Massage

Terrie on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016535)

Lee,
I've been told there are no 'stupid' questions, so here goes. How did you go about getting a therapist. Did you have a podiatrist? I have had this pain for over two years. did just about everything except surgery. Had some quick fixes but nothing lasting. I am desperate don't want surgery but that is what I'm looking at now. How long have you been seeing a therapist??

jeanne b on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016541)

Did you use a specific massage technique, or just general rubbing of the area that you described? What is a 'thumper' massage device?
I have no insurance and therefore can't seek out a physical therapist.
I have terrible morning pain and I'm trying to massage and stretch on my own. Would appreciate any guidance you could offer. Thanks.

Terrie on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016535)

Lee,
I've been told there are no 'stupid' questions, so here goes. How did you go about getting a therapist. Did you have a podiatrist? I have had this pain for over two years. did just about everything except surgery. Had some quick fixes but nothing lasting. I am desperate don't want surgery but that is what I'm looking at now. How long have you been seeing a therapist??

jeanne b on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016541)

Did you use a specific massage technique, or just general rubbing of the area that you described? What is a 'thumper' massage device?
I have no insurance and therefore can't seek out a physical therapist.
I have terrible morning pain and I'm trying to massage and stretch on my own. Would appreciate any guidance you could offer. Thanks.