Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone

Posted by wendyn on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016525)

Rick...that's exactly why I'm reluctant to go with the coritsone...just like you, I can get the inflmmation down myself but it comes back. (Nice to see I'm not alone in this line of thinking) We will see what the Ft and Ankle surgeon and neurologist have to say in May. I've always been worried that if I let the first doctor go with the cortisone I'd have the surgeon turn around and tell me that I shouldn't have bothered (this seems to happen between different doctors a lot).

I've had three different pairs of orthotics, one 'dress shoe' type and two sports shoe orthotics. The first two were 3/4 length and the other was a full length orthotic. I never had a problem with them slipping around. I would be happy to have one pair of shoes to wear them in.

It seems I've lost my tolerance for them. I don't think that my last pair (at the least the one on my left foot) was ever made right - it was never very comfortable, and I am SO sick of doctors and feet and orthotics that after I had the left one adjusted twice and re made once I just gave up.

I have to get past this avoiding all members of the medical profession. I am so tired of the whole thing, I haven't even gone back to acupuncture in over a week (even though I think it may be helping) and I don't even want to book an appointment for getting my teeth cleaned...I just want to be left alone!!!

I will hang in though, in general I feel great...actually I don't think I've felt better in my life (with the obvious exception of my feet). Emotionally, I am usually okay although I do have my moments.

Although I would never wish this or PF on even my worst enemy, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in all this...I can honestly say that finding you folks has kept me sane through this whole thing.

Thanks!

Re: Cortisone

john h on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016503)

did i understand your medical insurance will pay for orthotics once a year? i have spent enough on orthotics to pay for a trip to canada and an ossatron treatment.

Rick R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016531)

Wendyn,

We may not have any evidence to prove we aren't crazy but at least we aren't alone! Believe it or not the dr. that I have spoken rather highly of came right out and said he didn't know what was going on with my situation. I have chosen to treat surgery much as I would the cortisone. Even though the dammage was theoretically repaired, how does that affect the actual cause? Perhaps not at all. That's one reason that I'm continuing to look for information. I still use orthotics and believe arch support to be a key factor. I'm in the process of making my own. You know what they say about wanting it done right!

I sure hope you can find a doctor that takes his science as seriously as he does his status in society. For what it's worth, my 'guy' is an orthopedic surgeon. I'm in the Chicago area if that does you any good. I believe, however, my dr. is now semi-retired. Next on my list is the Bulls team doc. He practices out of Northwestern where my sister is an infectious control manager. Hope your new one works out for you!

john h on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016503)

did i understand your medical insurance will pay for orthotics once a year? i have spent enough on orthotics to pay for a trip to canada and an ossatron treatment.

Rick R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016531)

Wendyn,

We may not have any evidence to prove we aren't crazy but at least we aren't alone! Believe it or not the dr. that I have spoken rather highly of came right out and said he didn't know what was going on with my situation. I have chosen to treat surgery much as I would the cortisone. Even though the dammage was theoretically repaired, how does that affect the actual cause? Perhaps not at all. That's one reason that I'm continuing to look for information. I still use orthotics and believe arch support to be a key factor. I'm in the process of making my own. You know what they say about wanting it done right!

I sure hope you can find a doctor that takes his science as seriously as he does his status in society. For what it's worth, my 'guy' is an orthopedic surgeon. I'm in the Chicago area if that does you any good. I believe, however, my dr. is now semi-retired. Next on my list is the Bulls team doc. He practices out of Northwestern where my sister is an infectious control manager. Hope your new one works out for you!