Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Useless DPM Stories

Posted by john a on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016530)

You say: 'It seems I've lost my tolerance for them. I don't think that my last pair (at the least the one on my left foot) was ever made
right - it was never very comfortable, and I am SO sick of doctors and feet and orthotics that after I had the left one adjusted
twice and re made once I just gave up.'

This was *exactly* my experience with my first pair of $400 'craporthotics'. The right one was bearable, even comfortable after a while at times, but still rock hard. The left was terrible from the get-go, and stayed that way after three separate blind adjustments. I say 'blind' because I described *in prose* what I thought I needed to have done to it to make it more comfortable, and dropped it off at my pod's office, to be picked up by a guy from the orthotic shop to be returned a week later. This was all, of course, without any intervention or direction by the pod himself! I mean, come on, who knew if what I was describing should be done would make it worse or better! I mean, hell, *I* didn't go to pod school to sleep for four years before getting a worthless degree!

The kicker was that when I had these adjustments done I had to give up *both* orthotics so the orthotics guy could make sure they would have the same heel height, etc. Hello, can you say 'ruler'? So, I would be set back a week or more every time I had the adjustment done, since I didn't have anything remotely tolerable to get around in!

After the third adjustment, I said fine, I guess I'll live with it, and as long as I seemed to be slowly improving, I was relatively content. Then I had my 'present-wrapping' setback in late december, and that forced me to go back to this idiot to see if he could recast my left foot. He actually agreed to do it without charge! But when I got it back, it was scarcely any different. I was incredulous, and quite suspicious that they had used the old cast anyway, so I called the orthotic guy directly. He said that yes they had definitely used the new cast, and he knew that because they had thrown the old one out after 6 months! (since I didn't purchase the optional 'repair insurance').

I gave up. And they billed me $25 anyway for the recast (reasonable I guess, but annoying since he said he would do it no charge). I am now wearing the $30 Superfeet 'green capsule' inserts instead. The change has given me achilles tendinitis and some pulled outer calf muscles, but I'm hoping to get over it. Though I'm getting discouraged since it's already been almost 5 weeks :-( I am trying to stretch and strengthen lightly, but I seem to only be making it worse. I have never felt so out of touch with the workings (and not workings) of my own body. I may be a prime candidate for a PFT, and am close to buying one from Mike W.

In conclusion,I think the problem with these custom orthotics in general is that it is more of an art than a science to begin with, and since most pods are not artists at best, incompetent at worst, and non-caring most of the time, the end result is an orthotic that is useless if not actually harmful, 8 out of 10 times.

Re: Useless DPM Stories

Helene M on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016537)

You are right, John a. Orthotics-making seems to be an art, based on my experience with 6 different custom orthotics! Of course, the podiatrist would probably say that's only because we are the unusual, hard-core cases.

Re: Useless DPM Stories

Helene M on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016537)

You are right, John a. Orthotics-making seems to be an art, based on my experience with 6 different custom orthotics! Of course, the podiatrist would probably say that's only because we are the unusual, hard-core cases.