Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yoga,seeking massage techniques, ankle discomfort

Posted by Jeanne B. on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016540)

I have been suffering from PF for about 5 months now. Morning pain is the worst. I've learned from this web site to stretch my calf before
getting out of bed in the morning. It has helped a little. I've been practicing yoga for years. Last fall I spent several months in Italy. I wasn't practicing consistently and I was walking everywhere! On the hard pavement and cobblestone streets of the city. This is when I first developed my heel pain.

I recommend yoga for exercise because it gently stretches as it strengthens and there is no consistent impact on the ball of the foot. Now I'm back to practicing yoga regularly and the pain stays away for hours after a practice session.

I've read here about the dangers of overstretching so I'm concerned about that. I would appreciate any suggestions on the subject. Especially from those of you out there who might also be yoga practitioners...

Also, I did a search for massage techniques here and didn't come up with much. Please share details on specific massage techniques that helped.

One more thing: I have discomfort on the inside of my ankle in the area behind the ankle bone. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions on how to strengthen and correct this?

Thanks

Re: Yoga,seeking massage techniques, ankle discomfort

Laurie R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016545)

Hi Jeanne,
The area you are talking about is the tarsel tunnel area,There is something called TTS Tarsel Tunnel Syndrome,I have this also I have PF We are still working on a treatment for the TTS It is very painful.Does your foot go numb? Do you get shooting pains in it? Does your foot or ankle burn? Laurie R

MIke W on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016570)

Hello Jeanne,

Eliminating the damage caused by loading cold LL muscles in the morning or after long periods of activity is essential.
It is not enough to stretch just the calf muscle you should also include strengthening exercises as well. You probably are only stretching a few of the muscles in your lower legs. To find out more about improving the elasticity of the lower leg muscles that affect PF do a word search under Personal Foot Tainers .

I do not know much about yoga however it is my belief that any stretch you perform in a weight bearing position is incorrect because the muscles you want to stretch will be automatically contracted. This causes excessive tension on the related tendons that you are trying to heal. Muscles should be relaxed prior to a stretch.

There are several posters on this site who can tell you all about yoga although I believe they can not enjoy it any longer because of sore feet.

Regards,
Mike W

wendyn on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016572)

I've started yoga and I LOVE it!! I do not do anything on my feet though, any of the standing poses I usually do on my knees or not at all. Overall though, I think it's great for stretching and relaxation.

Sinead on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016576)

I need to learn how to stretch more thoroughly, what I'm doing is not making much difference. I swim/excersise/stretch in the pool 3X a week, and it doesn't bother me there, but leaving the pool I'm limping terribly. shouldn't proper stretching mean less pain walking? Massage/pressure hurts terribly also. Sinead

Jeanne B on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016591)

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the info. I will do the Personal Foot Trainers Word Search.
Jeanne B

Jeanne B on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016592)

Laurie,
Thanks for responding. My foot does not go numb. But I do get shooting
pains, especially after having done something physical on my feet.
My ankle also burns sometimes, usually at night. The area in my ankle
doesn't hurt so much. It's more that I can tell something's not working. It feels strange. How does TTS relate to the PF exactly? Does
one cause the other? And isn't it strange to have such a debilitating
condition on one foot, yet the other side feels perfectly fine?!?
Jeanne B

KARENK on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016595)

YES, more often than not, that is where my pain is. I have been thinking of trying Yoga. It sounds promising. The massage that worked for me was deep tissue massage in calf. That is not really a massage you can do yourself. I stretch out my calves all the time by pushing air with my heels, stretching on the steps etc. I do this all day long. Massage at the point of pain by the ankle bone can sometimes be accomplished with deep pressure working up toward the leg. Let me know how you got pf etc. I also have large bone spurs, 'pump bumps' on each heel, not on front of heel.

Laurie R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016545)

Hi Jeanne,
The area you are talking about is the tarsel tunnel area,There is something called TTS Tarsel Tunnel Syndrome,I have this also I have PF We are still working on a treatment for the TTS It is very painful.Does your foot go numb? Do you get shooting pains in it? Does your foot or ankle burn? Laurie R

MIke W on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016570)

Hello Jeanne,

Eliminating the damage caused by loading cold LL muscles in the morning or after long periods of activity is essential.
It is not enough to stretch just the calf muscle you should also include strengthening exercises as well. You probably are only stretching a few of the muscles in your lower legs. To find out more about improving the elasticity of the lower leg muscles that affect PF do a word search under Personal Foot Tainers .

I do not know much about yoga however it is my belief that any stretch you perform in a weight bearing position is incorrect because the muscles you want to stretch will be automatically contracted. This causes excessive tension on the related tendons that you are trying to heal. Muscles should be relaxed prior to a stretch.

There are several posters on this site who can tell you all about yoga although I believe they can not enjoy it any longer because of sore feet.

Regards,
Mike W

wendyn on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016572)

I've started yoga and I LOVE it!! I do not do anything on my feet though, any of the standing poses I usually do on my knees or not at all. Overall though, I think it's great for stretching and relaxation.

Sinead on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016576)

I need to learn how to stretch more thoroughly, what I'm doing is not making much difference. I swim/excersise/stretch in the pool 3X a week, and it doesn't bother me there, but leaving the pool I'm limping terribly. shouldn't proper stretching mean less pain walking? Massage/pressure hurts terribly also. Sinead

Jeanne B on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016591)

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the info. I will do the Personal Foot Trainers Word Search.
Jeanne B

Jeanne B on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016592)

Laurie,
Thanks for responding. My foot does not go numb. But I do get shooting
pains, especially after having done something physical on my feet.
My ankle also burns sometimes, usually at night. The area in my ankle
doesn't hurt so much. It's more that I can tell something's not working. It feels strange. How does TTS relate to the PF exactly? Does
one cause the other? And isn't it strange to have such a debilitating
condition on one foot, yet the other side feels perfectly fine?!?
Jeanne B

KARENK on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016595)

YES, more often than not, that is where my pain is. I have been thinking of trying Yoga. It sounds promising. The massage that worked for me was deep tissue massage in calf. That is not really a massage you can do yourself. I stretch out my calves all the time by pushing air with my heels, stretching on the steps etc. I do this all day long. Massage at the point of pain by the ankle bone can sometimes be accomplished with deep pressure working up toward the leg. Let me know how you got pf etc. I also have large bone spurs, 'pump bumps' on each heel, not on front of heel.