Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

shooting pains

Posted by wendyn on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016548)

Laurie, I get shooting pains, and 'numbness' as my pain level goes up. Right at this time, I don't really have either - but I do have spots on my right foot where I always have decreased sensation, mostly between my toes. I also think that my feet are no longer as sensitive to cold as they should be...I went all winter in Birks and my feet never got cold, and I went to the pool the other day - just had the bottoms of my feet touching the water on the edge and I thought the water was fine. As soon as I got my legs in I realized the water was pretty cold. It bothers me that the bottom of my feet couldn't tell me that!

I do not get 'numbness' as in my foot cannot sense _anything_, but I get a pins and needles sensation, and a lot of burning. My foot isn't really numb but it feels like it's fallen asleep. The shooting pains mostly go into my toes and then up my leg (kind of follow the same path as the Tinnel's sign).

Laurie, have you considered acupuncture and has your doctor done a B12 and other blood tests?

Re: shooting painsRE Wendy n

Laurie R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016562)

WEndy,
I had Acupuncture in the past for something else and it did nothing for me but, maybe it would help me now.I really don't have the money for it so I would have to wait.My husband had to take a second job because I have been off work now for 5 months with this.

Also I haven't had any blood test done for this I will ask my doctor this week when I see him.

You know Wendy this TTS is more painful than the PF or at least I think it is maybe it is just a combination of both things going on.

We have a friend who also has PF and he had a nerve entrapment he has had this for a few years now and he has been in and out of a cast he has had 4 cortisone shots he also has had therapy and surgery and orthotics ect.and the poor guy is still in all kinds of pain.But I will say for him he does not rest.I still have hope I am really trying to take it easy but,some days I have to get things done for the kids.I am the only one here so at night I do rest massage ice and the night splint.

Wendy what do you do to stop the burning?Sometimes my foot starts burning so bad and there is nothing I could do to stop it.I would appreciate any suggestions.Laurie R

Rick R on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016579)

Laurie,

As you may recall I get the burning sensation at the front of my right foot and through the toes. I have similar numbness to Wendyn. Since my heels have been better this has subsided. I believe this is a direct result of increased activity. What I used to have to do to turn off the flame thrower was to walk it off. The worst part of this is that it usually struck me at night when I was trying to rest the poor old heels, not to mention the rest of my carcass. I'd fumble around for my running shoes and pace around. Do you ever have the burning pain hit you while you are walking? It allways happens at rest for me. It also used to hit me if I drove for any length of time, roughly 30 min or greater. It may seem counterintuitive but see it you can walk it off. Other than that how are things going?

Rick

Re: shooting painsRE Wendy nRE Rick

Laurie R on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016598)

Hi Rick,

Sometimes I get the burning when I am walking and sometimes I get it if I am just sitting but,if I try to walk it off it makes it worst.Ice does help and time and rest.I will tell you it happens the more I am on my feet.How are you doing?I hope you are well.I am going to my podiatrist this week I think I will try other cortisone shot I will let you know how everything turns out..Have a good day Rick.Laurie R

Laurie R on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016562)

WEndy,
I had Acupuncture in the past for something else and it did nothing for me but, maybe it would help me now.I really don't have the money for it so I would have to wait.My husband had to take a second job because I have been off work now for 5 months with this.

Also I haven't had any blood test done for this I will ask my doctor this week when I see him.

You know Wendy this TTS is more painful than the PF or at least I think it is maybe it is just a combination of both things going on.

We have a friend who also has PF and he had a nerve entrapment he has had this for a few years now and he has been in and out of a cast he has had 4 cortisone shots he also has had therapy and surgery and orthotics ect.and the poor guy is still in all kinds of pain.But I will say for him he does not rest.I still have hope I am really trying to take it easy but,some days I have to get things done for the kids.I am the only one here so at night I do rest massage ice and the night splint.

Wendy what do you do to stop the burning?Sometimes my foot starts burning so bad and there is nothing I could do to stop it.I would appreciate any suggestions.Laurie R

Rick R on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016579)

Laurie,

As you may recall I get the burning sensation at the front of my right foot and through the toes. I have similar numbness to Wendyn. Since my heels have been better this has subsided. I believe this is a direct result of increased activity. What I used to have to do to turn off the flame thrower was to walk it off. The worst part of this is that it usually struck me at night when I was trying to rest the poor old heels, not to mention the rest of my carcass. I'd fumble around for my running shoes and pace around. Do you ever have the burning pain hit you while you are walking? It allways happens at rest for me. It also used to hit me if I drove for any length of time, roughly 30 min or greater. It may seem counterintuitive but see it you can walk it off. Other than that how are things going?

Rick

Re: shooting painsRE Wendy nRE Rick

Laurie R on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016598)

Hi Rick,

Sometimes I get the burning when I am walking and sometimes I get it if I am just sitting but,if I try to walk it off it makes it worst.Ice does help and time and rest.I will tell you it happens the more I am on my feet.How are you doing?I hope you are well.I am going to my podiatrist this week I think I will try other cortisone shot I will let you know how everything turns out..Have a good day Rick.Laurie R