Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

If only we had hooves

Posted by alan k on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016582)

In addition to preventing contraction, which is the first priority, the nightsplint also can give a gentle stretch if your are especially tight in the calves or if you have an adjustable one and crank it up (not recommended, can cause nerve damage among other things). But the important point is right-- it is better to think of its action as prevention of tightening so that when you take your first steps your fascia is less susceptible to fresh micro-tears. When you sleep, your muscles get very relaxed and are so very receptive to the work of the nightsplint, while they can tighten up without them. This tightening is due to natural curling of the feet. Again my anthropology kicks in here-- this is a natural sleep response of primates which mimics an embryonic state and contributes to a sense of safety. Unfortunately it is not good for primates with bad feet and lifestyles. Were we descendant from cows we would be better suited to our lifestyle-- we should have hooves really but unfortunately we have tree clinging devices to walk on. Anyway, that curling response contributes to tightened fascia at night and microtears in the morning. The nightsplint makes a lot of sense and is proven to work. As Nancy says there is no reason to doubt it without trying, as is the case with the many, varied treatments that get expression here on this board.

One should be able to adjust to a nightspline in sleeping (just like if you live near a truckstop you learn to sleep at night), and then benefit from the healing that happens through sleep.

The nightsplint has a high degree of effectiveness in eliminating morning pain, and also is often reported as a total cure for some people. I myself find it very helpful even though I don't have morning pain (though I am very ill-disciplined with it). There is absolutely no reason not to try it, and other things.

alan k

Re: If only we had hooves

wendyn on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016585)

You are the most intersting guy Alan....(and no I'm not being sarcastic). This is so fascinating I think I should take a course in anthropology...one day when I have more time!

Re: If only we had hooves

wendyn on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016585)

You are the most intersting guy Alan....(and no I'm not being sarcastic). This is so fascinating I think I should take a course in anthropology...one day when I have more time!