Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

One week later...

Posted by Nicole V.R. on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016616)

... my heel is still painful, but getting better every day. I still use one crutch for longer stands on my feet, such as the grocery store. I stopped taking pain medication all together, since my foot only hurts to stand on it. I consider this progress because post ESWT my foot would hurt on occaision when it was at rest. I still find the night splint to be too irritating, since it rubs on the sore spots of my heel. I am gently stretching and will be starting PT soon. Good luck to everyone, and I hope to see updates from my fellow Ossatron adventurers.
posted to the eswt board

Re: One week later...post ossatron

GinaC on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016663)

I still have pain also, but it is not exactly like the PF pain. Somehow this pain seems more bearable. In the last day or two I have spent more time on my feet, both standing and walking, and have not greatly increased the pain level. Am stretching, having ultrasound, and taking Celebrex (as directed by Dr. Gordon). The fascia in my treated foot feels more pliable than in my untreated PF foot(which is doing OK). Am cautiously hopeful--which is great, cause prior to Ossatron I was on the verge of depression. Hope everyone else is improving (and smiling). Gina
posted to the eswt board

Re: One week later...

Matt L on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016668)

Overall, I am cautiously optimistic after one week. My foot stills has a mild/moderate bruised feeling which I can tolerate when walking. Don't really feel the inflammation PF type pain too much but it is a little difficult to differentiate between the two. The real test for me will be standing for an extended period of time.

I have started ultrasound and am streching, and usually icing at night. I have not resumed taking anti-inflammatories at this point because its doesn't seem clear if that is recommended. I am also experimenting for a couple of days without using my custom orthodics. I would love to give these up as I feel they have caused as many problems as they have solved.

In summary, I'm satisfied as to where things are at this early point. Best wishes to my fellow Ossatron gang members.
posted to the eswt board

Scott R on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016674)

Mine seems to hurt a little more than befre the treatment, but it hardly hurt before so that's not saying much.
posted to the eswt board

Helen on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016702)

Glad to see so many responses one week post treatment. I went a bit overboard today, wearing 'sensible' shoes with my orthotics. These shoes were not as good for my PF as my nike sneakers or my vikings (which are like Birkenstocks). But they had caused less pain with orthotics before the Oss. treatment. (remember - I had both feet done). So I am feeling pain tonight, and some frustration , hoping that I haven't reinjured myself. I feel this recovery process is a big mystery. I wish I knew how careful I should be. I can really push it -- before the treatment I was going on two hour walks at times, albeit without carrying anything at all. Often there would be very little pain after such walks. So I am still trying to do that type of activity. However, I was unable to run, or go without orthotics or ever carry anything on my back or heavy groceries.

I really wish I could find some attractive, reasonably priced footwear that would be good for my feet and fit my orthotics. Sorry to sound frustrated, but Nikes just get a bit dull...

Hope everyone is doing well and let's stay in touch. I am trying to stay positive. I must echo Karen in saying that Dr. Galea and his assistant, James were a wonderful team. One of the few positive medical experiences I have had. I am looking forward to my appointment with Dr. Galea next week. I will report any information to this group after that meeting.

Helen

posted to the eswt board

john h on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016777)

karen: you must be much better if you are starting to worry about how your shoes 'look'!
posted to the eswt board

GinaC on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016663)

I still have pain also, but it is not exactly like the PF pain. Somehow this pain seems more bearable. In the last day or two I have spent more time on my feet, both standing and walking, and have not greatly increased the pain level. Am stretching, having ultrasound, and taking Celebrex (as directed by Dr. Gordon). The fascia in my treated foot feels more pliable than in my untreated PF foot(which is doing OK). Am cautiously hopeful--which is great, cause prior to Ossatron I was on the verge of depression. Hope everyone else is improving (and smiling). Gina
posted to the eswt board

Matt L on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016668)

Overall, I am cautiously optimistic after one week. My foot stills has a mild/moderate bruised feeling which I can tolerate when walking. Don't really feel the inflammation PF type pain too much but it is a little difficult to differentiate between the two. The real test for me will be standing for an extended period of time.

I have started ultrasound and am streching, and usually icing at night. I have not resumed taking anti-inflammatories at this point because its doesn't seem clear if that is recommended. I am also experimenting for a couple of days without using my custom orthodics. I would love to give these up as I feel they have caused as many problems as they have solved.

In summary, I'm satisfied as to where things are at this early point. Best wishes to my fellow Ossatron gang members.
posted to the eswt board

Scott R on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016674)

Mine seems to hurt a little more than befre the treatment, but it hardly hurt before so that's not saying much.
posted to the eswt board

Helen on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016702)

Glad to see so many responses one week post treatment. I went a bit overboard today, wearing 'sensible' shoes with my orthotics. These shoes were not as good for my PF as my nike sneakers or my vikings (which are like Birkenstocks). But they had caused less pain with orthotics before the Oss. treatment. (remember - I had both feet done). So I am feeling pain tonight, and some frustration , hoping that I haven't reinjured myself. I feel this recovery process is a big mystery. I wish I knew how careful I should be. I can really push it -- before the treatment I was going on two hour walks at times, albeit without carrying anything at all. Often there would be very little pain after such walks. So I am still trying to do that type of activity. However, I was unable to run, or go without orthotics or ever carry anything on my back or heavy groceries.

I really wish I could find some attractive, reasonably priced footwear that would be good for my feet and fit my orthotics. Sorry to sound frustrated, but Nikes just get a bit dull...

Hope everyone is doing well and let's stay in touch. I am trying to stay positive. I must echo Karen in saying that Dr. Galea and his assistant, James were a wonderful team. One of the few positive medical experiences I have had. I am looking forward to my appointment with Dr. Galea next week. I will report any information to this group after that meeting.

Helen

posted to the eswt board

john h on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016777)

karen: you must be much better if you are starting to worry about how your shoes 'look'!
posted to the eswt board