Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hyperbaric treatment??????

Posted by joan on 2/29/00 at 00:00 (016617)

i have been reading that hyperbaric chamber treatment is useful in a host of conditions where increased circulation is desirable--however, it is also difficult to gain access to this treatment--just wanted to start a discussion on any thoughts anyone may have about this.....

Re: hyperbaric treatment??????

john h on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016652)

as a former pilot i regularly went for rides in the altitude chamber. we would decompress to an altitude of 40,000 ft with oxygen mask on of course and then have a sudden decompression to 10,000 ft. at 40,000 ft we would remove mask to note our individual symptoms and see how long it would take you to pass out (not very long - 10 sec or so). altitude or pressure chambers would appear to be super expensive as it takes a lot of people to operate them and expensive to construct. i have always wondered what weightlessness in space would do for people with compressed disc since all the weight of the atmosphere would not be on your body and should allow the disc to decompress somewhat.

john a on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016656)

Hmmm, how about a small chamber you could put one foot in, with an air tight seal around the ankle, out of which you could pump the air to create a low-level vacuum and hence increase blood flow to the entire foot. Seems like it might be more effective than hot therapy. ...I'll soon be selling it under the name 'FootVacuum' :-)

Nancy S. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016694)

Gee, John H, that sounds like a nightmare. Maybe the name should be changed to 'hyper-barbaric treatment'!

john h on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016652)

as a former pilot i regularly went for rides in the altitude chamber. we would decompress to an altitude of 40,000 ft with oxygen mask on of course and then have a sudden decompression to 10,000 ft. at 40,000 ft we would remove mask to note our individual symptoms and see how long it would take you to pass out (not very long - 10 sec or so). altitude or pressure chambers would appear to be super expensive as it takes a lot of people to operate them and expensive to construct. i have always wondered what weightlessness in space would do for people with compressed disc since all the weight of the atmosphere would not be on your body and should allow the disc to decompress somewhat.

john a on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016656)

Hmmm, how about a small chamber you could put one foot in, with an air tight seal around the ankle, out of which you could pump the air to create a low-level vacuum and hence increase blood flow to the entire foot. Seems like it might be more effective than hot therapy. ...I'll soon be selling it under the name 'FootVacuum' :-)

Nancy S. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016694)

Gee, John H, that sounds like a nightmare. Maybe the name should be changed to 'hyper-barbaric treatment'!