Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Scholl's Exercise Sandals

Posted by salina on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016677)

OK, don't laugh. Does anyone remember a long time ago when the 'exercise sandal came out? The point was for us ladies to wear these sandals with the toe grip and they would fall off if you didn't literally hold them on with your toes? I remember trying a friend's on and walking around for a little while and gave them back. Too much work. But it was to beautify your legs by strengthening your calves and shins, you know, to look good in your new sandals.
Anyway, the reason I am asking is because on the site 4feetcom or something like that, i went to Dr. Scholls site and there they were. And I remembered the birk Arizona wearers were telling me that those have sort of the same things going with the toegrip thing.Now, you can pretty much look at these things and tell that you don't get PF and then find comfort in these Dr. Scholl sandals. But I am wondering if just putting them on for a short while and walking around in them to get the foot exercise, then take them right off. The ads were for beautifying your legs, but the foot action is sort of the same thing I am doing with the foot strengthening exercises I am doing every day. If anyone is laughing, STOP!! I am seriously thinking of hunting these sandals down and using them as exercise equipment. So if anyone knows of some reason why this is not a good idea, that it could be dangerous or something, let me know. Just tell me what you think. thanks.

Re: Dr. Scholl's Exercise Sandals

Kim B. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016703)

Now that I'm through laughing... just kidding, I say give 'em a try, as long as they can be returned if they hurt your feet, that is. I think I tried a pair on once and found them to be too hard, and uncomfortable. (But that was long before PF and such.) Dr. Scholls hasn't been around this long for nothing. He seems to know at least a little about feet.

Regards,
Kim B.

salina on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016710)

I'll be sure to post it if I end up in traction. I guess I am willing to try anything. I obviously have to hunt them down because I think they are not too popular. Could it be because they are hard as a rock, uncomfortable, and who really wants to exercise their legs just trying to keep their shoes on? But since I'm trying everything else, might as well. If I can find them, I will give a daily Dr. Scholl's Exercise Sandal report. Unless I am too embarassed, that is.

Patty S. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016719)

Salina,
I believe I saw the Dr. Scholls sandals in Target recently if you have one nearby. It's funny 'cause when I saw them I was wondering if they would help at all too! However, I can remember wearing them when they were popular in the seventies and they were very uncomfortable for me. Besided my foot is doing so well I don't want to take any chances and mess them up again! Patty

Lee M. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016724)

I have the hard ones and a soft pair they made about 2 years ago.
Don't bother with the hard ones, very hard and very un-wearable. I think the exercise your foot thing was just a gimmick. You kind of have to grab the shoe with your toes and if your pf is in the balls of your feet (which is where my originally started) is hurts as you take a step. The soft ones were'nt bad but not good for any length of time. My foot had a tendency to slip off the shoe, not enough shoe at the toe for my foot to land on the center of the heel.
Just my opinion of course. I am a definite shoe freak. About 150 pair, last count. Funny, while I had the pf, I only wore 2-3 pairs of shoes for the last 3 years. But I never stopped buying new ones. Always being hopeful. Finally I'm enjoying some of these great shoes.

slwalker on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016726)

I bought a pair last summer, they help some, but they hurt too much to walk around or stand in. I guess you could say they're good sitting shoes. I found them on the net, don't remember the site. Birks work better for me, i can wear them all day and walk and stand in them too.

salina on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016768)

Yes, right now the area right under the ball of my foot is the most tenderest spot. Right where the arch begins there. Further back along the arch I am able to massage with a little pressure now. So not a good idea, huh?
I am really thankful for you guys writing and letting me know what you think. It gave me more to think about.
And what if some poor soul didn't know any better and saw my messge and ran around in them til they ruined their feet entirely.
I guess that is what is so great about this messge board.

Nicole V.R. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016795)

Lee,
I wish you could meet my husband, he thinks I'm a shoe freak, and I only have 15 pairs!!! ( Although I only wear my Reeboks with the Orthotics in them).

Kim B. on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016703)

Now that I'm through laughing... just kidding, I say give 'em a try, as long as they can be returned if they hurt your feet, that is. I think I tried a pair on once and found them to be too hard, and uncomfortable. (But that was long before PF and such.) Dr. Scholls hasn't been around this long for nothing. He seems to know at least a little about feet.

Regards,
Kim B.

salina on 3/01/00 at 00:00 (016710)

I'll be sure to post it if I end up in traction. I guess I am willing to try anything. I obviously have to hunt them down because I think they are not too popular. Could it be because they are hard as a rock, uncomfortable, and who really wants to exercise their legs just trying to keep their shoes on? But since I'm trying everything else, might as well. If I can find them, I will give a daily Dr. Scholl's Exercise Sandal report. Unless I am too embarassed, that is.

Patty S. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016719)

Salina,
I believe I saw the Dr. Scholls sandals in Target recently if you have one nearby. It's funny 'cause when I saw them I was wondering if they would help at all too! However, I can remember wearing them when they were popular in the seventies and they were very uncomfortable for me. Besided my foot is doing so well I don't want to take any chances and mess them up again! Patty

Lee M. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016724)

I have the hard ones and a soft pair they made about 2 years ago.
Don't bother with the hard ones, very hard and very un-wearable. I think the exercise your foot thing was just a gimmick. You kind of have to grab the shoe with your toes and if your pf is in the balls of your feet (which is where my originally started) is hurts as you take a step. The soft ones were'nt bad but not good for any length of time. My foot had a tendency to slip off the shoe, not enough shoe at the toe for my foot to land on the center of the heel.
Just my opinion of course. I am a definite shoe freak. About 150 pair, last count. Funny, while I had the pf, I only wore 2-3 pairs of shoes for the last 3 years. But I never stopped buying new ones. Always being hopeful. Finally I'm enjoying some of these great shoes.

slwalker on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016726)

I bought a pair last summer, they help some, but they hurt too much to walk around or stand in. I guess you could say they're good sitting shoes. I found them on the net, don't remember the site. Birks work better for me, i can wear them all day and walk and stand in them too.

salina on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016768)

Yes, right now the area right under the ball of my foot is the most tenderest spot. Right where the arch begins there. Further back along the arch I am able to massage with a little pressure now. So not a good idea, huh?
I am really thankful for you guys writing and letting me know what you think. It gave me more to think about.
And what if some poor soul didn't know any better and saw my messge and ran around in them til they ruined their feet entirely.
I guess that is what is so great about this messge board.

Nicole V.R. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016795)

Lee,
I wish you could meet my husband, he thinks I'm a shoe freak, and I only have 15 pairs!!! ( Although I only wear my Reeboks with the Orthotics in them).