Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A Newcomers Opinion

Posted by Lucy W. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016737)

Just wanted to tell you how much this Board has meant to me and the help I have received from it. I was thinking I was all alone in this battle. You All understand the frustration and pain. No matter what minor disputes are on here I for one say if you have an idea or suggestion, PLEASE post it! You all mean more than you know to someone who has been looking for help for months. Thank You All! Lucy W.

Re: A Newcomers Opinion

Ellen M. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016741)

Hi everyone,
I have been a p/f sufferer for over a year now and have had all the
conservative treatment. I am just now starting to feel a little relief, and I'm getting ready to be released back to work w/ a 4 hour minimun, as I am standing in one place for 8 hours a day.I am a meat packer by trade for 23 years.Has anyone out there had p/f this long??

Nancy S. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016749)

That was all good to hear, Lucy -- thank you for posting. I have felt the same way ever since finding this board. The variety of info. and ideas and generally helpful spirit here made me feel much less alone, and many different ideas and posts led me to try things that appear to be working. I don't know what I would have done if it weren't for Scott's site -- maybe gone crazy. I was ready to amputate my foot and donate it to science! I hope you continue to find as much relief as I have. --Nancy S.

Rick R on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016755)

Ellen,

Don't be alarmed by the fact that many of us have been dealing with PF for a long time. I think the common PF sufferers don't end up searching the internet for help. I have been at it for 17 years. If I could roll back the clock 16 years, knowing what I know now, I believe I could have cleared things up in a few months. Scott's book read like my own lessons learned journal. The time I could have saved!

Don't push your return to work. I know how difficult that will be given the lack of visible evidence of your pain. What kind of shoes can you and do you intend to wear on the job? Now I'm doing pretty darned well, and even running about 30 miles a week, but there is no way I can stand all day without major precautions. Tape, orthotics and running shoes at a minimum would be in order for me. I stood in line with my daughter to get her drivers licence just before Thanksgiving. Had I only known that the computers would go down and that we would be standing for 8 hours (government at it's best)! I wasn't taped and had about a 3 day recovery.

Good Luck,

Rick

Ellen N. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016831)

Thanks for the reply, Rick. I cannot believe all the people that suffer from this. Has anyone ever filed a worker's comp. claim for this injury? My dr. and treating podiatrist say that it is 100% work-related, but the company has denied the claim. Is this on the 'disability' list for social security disability? All I want to do is get well and go back to work, but it has turned into a catch-22 for me. I can't get well to go back to work, and the company won't allow me enough time to get well!! Am I whining or what??!!

Ellen N. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016833)

Oh, Rick, in anwser to your question about shoes, I wear a boot type
comfortable shoe, it's cold and 'messy' in the meat dept. so this is why I wear a boot. I am also back on my treadmill for 35 min. a day, to work up to my upcoming 4 hrs. a day shift. Unfortunatly, I can feel the pain again, but I can't tell anyone, even my husband or either him or my dr. who, incidently, authorized it, will make me quit, and I HAVE to get this accumulated weight off before going abck to work and excercise helps me soooo much.

Re: A Newcomers Opinion To Ellen N

Laurie R on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016837)

Hi Ellen,
When I read your post I just had to respond.I am on workmans comp for PF I have been on it for 8 months and I have learned so much.I hope I can help you.

First of all they can not denie your claim if your doctors say it is work related.You need to get a workmans comp attorney they will help you with all of this and you don't pay anything they get there money from your settlement.Workmans comp will pay all your doctor bills and med and re hab.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have I hope I can help you.Yesterday I had a real hard time with workmans copm and I called my attorney and she took care of everything in one call.

Best to you Laurie R

Ellen N. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016851)

Hi Laurie,
thanks for such a prompt reply. I have, in fact, retained the services of an attorney. I have 2 dr. reports stating that P/T was, indeed, caused by standing on my feet all day. However, they, to date,
have still denied the claim. The att. says that is standard procedure.
I have been denied with the insurance carrier since March 1999. You probably know the routine, you see their dr. you see the your att. dr.
Whose report do they ultimately accept? Why, if 2 out of 3 dr.agree that it is work-related do they keep denying the claim? I have so many questions, Laurie, and I know that you could be thinking 'why not ask your own attorney'? but, at this point he has sent a letter to me just yesterday stating: 'at this time the insurance carrier does not believe that your injuries are work-related, although I cannot give you any final assurance, I fully believe that we will prevail on the issues and that your claim will be picked up by your employer and the insurance carrier> This being base on the well written medical reports and and our conversations, etc.etc. Should I be worried, Laurie? I have 23 years seniority at risk here. Thanks, Ellen

Rick R on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016857)

Ok so you are going to push it and go to work. A far more noble cause than my pushing things to run which I did many times before I had a plan that worked. Boots can be either a help or hindrance. An elevated heel can help direct the force to the balls of your feet. The real key in my opinion, is the arch support that they offer followed by heel padding. You might try slipping a pair of regular old men's snow boots over a good pair of running shoes (Asics are my favorite). Could get warm, cut a few holes? I would give tape a try. Tape the arch area just in front of the heel in tightly, or give Scott's method a try. It may hurt for a while but see what happens. I posted my full tape and wrap method not too long ago. I have never tried a treadmill but others have posted that the angle has the effect of running up hill which stretches you more, I would be cautious. You might try the real thing vs the treadmill. I'd ice up after the workout and go with heat and massage right before bed. Also, Ibuprofen before bed has served me well. After the heat and massage don't let your feet touch the floor. Crawl to bed. When you wake up, start with massage and light stretching, pulling your feet back. I was sporting around about 30 extra pounds after surgery. I got cocky knowing I'd be able to dump it, guessed right. I thought I carried it well at the time but when I see photos...yikes.

Ellen M. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016741)

Hi everyone,
I have been a p/f sufferer for over a year now and have had all the
conservative treatment. I am just now starting to feel a little relief, and I'm getting ready to be released back to work w/ a 4 hour minimun, as I am standing in one place for 8 hours a day.I am a meat packer by trade for 23 years.Has anyone out there had p/f this long??

Nancy S. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016749)

That was all good to hear, Lucy -- thank you for posting. I have felt the same way ever since finding this board. The variety of info. and ideas and generally helpful spirit here made me feel much less alone, and many different ideas and posts led me to try things that appear to be working. I don't know what I would have done if it weren't for Scott's site -- maybe gone crazy. I was ready to amputate my foot and donate it to science! I hope you continue to find as much relief as I have. --Nancy S.

Rick R on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016755)

Ellen,

Don't be alarmed by the fact that many of us have been dealing with PF for a long time. I think the common PF sufferers don't end up searching the internet for help. I have been at it for 17 years. If I could roll back the clock 16 years, knowing what I know now, I believe I could have cleared things up in a few months. Scott's book read like my own lessons learned journal. The time I could have saved!

Don't push your return to work. I know how difficult that will be given the lack of visible evidence of your pain. What kind of shoes can you and do you intend to wear on the job? Now I'm doing pretty darned well, and even running about 30 miles a week, but there is no way I can stand all day without major precautions. Tape, orthotics and running shoes at a minimum would be in order for me. I stood in line with my daughter to get her drivers licence just before Thanksgiving. Had I only known that the computers would go down and that we would be standing for 8 hours (government at it's best)! I wasn't taped and had about a 3 day recovery.

Good Luck,

Rick

Ellen N. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016831)

Thanks for the reply, Rick. I cannot believe all the people that suffer from this. Has anyone ever filed a worker's comp. claim for this injury? My dr. and treating podiatrist say that it is 100% work-related, but the company has denied the claim. Is this on the 'disability' list for social security disability? All I want to do is get well and go back to work, but it has turned into a catch-22 for me. I can't get well to go back to work, and the company won't allow me enough time to get well!! Am I whining or what??!!

Ellen N. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016833)

Oh, Rick, in anwser to your question about shoes, I wear a boot type
comfortable shoe, it's cold and 'messy' in the meat dept. so this is why I wear a boot. I am also back on my treadmill for 35 min. a day, to work up to my upcoming 4 hrs. a day shift. Unfortunatly, I can feel the pain again, but I can't tell anyone, even my husband or either him or my dr. who, incidently, authorized it, will make me quit, and I HAVE to get this accumulated weight off before going abck to work and excercise helps me soooo much.

Laurie R on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016837)

Hi Ellen,
When I read your post I just had to respond.I am on workmans comp for PF I have been on it for 8 months and I have learned so much.I hope I can help you.

First of all they can not denie your claim if your doctors say it is work related.You need to get a workmans comp attorney they will help you with all of this and you don't pay anything they get there money from your settlement.Workmans comp will pay all your doctor bills and med and re hab.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have I hope I can help you.Yesterday I had a real hard time with workmans copm and I called my attorney and she took care of everything in one call.

Best to you Laurie R

Ellen N. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016851)

Hi Laurie,
thanks for such a prompt reply. I have, in fact, retained the services of an attorney. I have 2 dr. reports stating that P/T was, indeed, caused by standing on my feet all day. However, they, to date,
have still denied the claim. The att. says that is standard procedure.
I have been denied with the insurance carrier since March 1999. You probably know the routine, you see their dr. you see the your att. dr.
Whose report do they ultimately accept? Why, if 2 out of 3 dr.agree that it is work-related do they keep denying the claim? I have so many questions, Laurie, and I know that you could be thinking 'why not ask your own attorney'? but, at this point he has sent a letter to me just yesterday stating: 'at this time the insurance carrier does not believe that your injuries are work-related, although I cannot give you any final assurance, I fully believe that we will prevail on the issues and that your claim will be picked up by your employer and the insurance carrier> This being base on the well written medical reports and and our conversations, etc.etc. Should I be worried, Laurie? I have 23 years seniority at risk here. Thanks, Ellen

Rick R on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016857)

Ok so you are going to push it and go to work. A far more noble cause than my pushing things to run which I did many times before I had a plan that worked. Boots can be either a help or hindrance. An elevated heel can help direct the force to the balls of your feet. The real key in my opinion, is the arch support that they offer followed by heel padding. You might try slipping a pair of regular old men's snow boots over a good pair of running shoes (Asics are my favorite). Could get warm, cut a few holes? I would give tape a try. Tape the arch area just in front of the heel in tightly, or give Scott's method a try. It may hurt for a while but see what happens. I posted my full tape and wrap method not too long ago. I have never tried a treadmill but others have posted that the angle has the effect of running up hill which stretches you more, I would be cautious. You might try the real thing vs the treadmill. I'd ice up after the workout and go with heat and massage right before bed. Also, Ibuprofen before bed has served me well. After the heat and massage don't let your feet touch the floor. Crawl to bed. When you wake up, start with massage and light stretching, pulling your feet back. I was sporting around about 30 extra pounds after surgery. I got cocky knowing I'd be able to dump it, guessed right. I thought I carried it well at the time but when I see photos...yikes.