Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3rd Sonorex treatment today

Posted by Trish on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016771)

Hi all. I had my 3rd Sonorex treatment today, and was able to handle level 2 of intensity....I had level 1 for the first 2 treatments. It still didn't hurt as much as that first treatment! I even went for a minute or two of level 3 right at the end. (there are 4 levels). So, now it's time to wait and see...It's interesting going through this at the same time as the Ossatron Gang...I am following your stories closely. I am also unsure of what to expect, and how much stretching, icing, etc. to do. I am feeling really optimistic today. That, in itself is refreshing! Good luck to all. I'm hopeful for all of us!
posted to the eswt board

Re: 3rd Sonorex treatment today

linda on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016794)

hi trish. I am thinking about going for sonorex treatment on my heelspurs. Can you let me know where you had yours done and how it is going. thanks
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016811)

Hi. I am having the treatments in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada). They just got the Sonorex machine here about 6 wks. ago, at The Edmonton Sports Institute. For more info. on locations of machines, check out the sonorex website: http://www.sonorex.com or call toll free: 1-877-766-6287. I have posted my experience so far further down on this message board. Feel free to ask me anything else. Good Luck!
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016846)

Keep in mind that the Ossatron Gang is trying to get cured with only one treatment which is the preferred way to treat in the U.S. In Canada, multiple treatments are the protocol so post care for the two different ways of treatments might not be exactly the same. The Ossatron Gang is being treated with high intensity shock waves while others are being treated with medium intensity power. The fact that there are two different methods that are being applied for ESWT might indicate that there may be two distinctly different post treatment recovery protocols. So when getting advice on post treatment care, consider which protocol you were treated with first, it might matter.
posted to the eswt board

Linda on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016876)

Hi Trish, thank you for the information. I guess you must be the only one so far out there that has had the sonorex treatment. I think this might be the way that I go. I have had my heel spurs on both my feet for 2 years now. painful yes. How long did you have yours for? And did you have any treatments prior to the sonorex treatment? When you have these treatments do you have to wait a week or so between each session? Well that is all I can think of for now and thank you.

posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016882)

I have had PF in both feet for 8 years. I tried many treatments including: custom-made orthotics (5 or 6 pairs that cost around $350 each), birkenstocks (more helpful than the orthotics), icing (still do it about twice daily, sometimes more), anti-inflammatory medication, cortizone shots, 6 months of acupuncture, moxibustion, chiropractic, massage, physiotherapy, SURGERY in 1995 (complete failure), stretching, glucosamine supplements, rest, etc, etc. I am feeling optimistic for the first time in years!!!!!! Many of the above treatments have given me a little temporary relief; the only that I continue with regularly are birkenstocks, orthotics if I can't wear the birks, icing, rest, and anti-inflammatories when the pain is really bad (usually about once a week)......HOWEVER remember that we all are different and what didn't work for me may be the answer for you! About the Sonorex.....standard procedure is 3 treatments, 1 week apart, and then wait 6 wks. to see the results....at that point, some people go for 2 more treatments. So my 6 wk. wait is just starting. I am very hopeful!!! Keep posting. I'd like to hear what you do. Do you live in Canada?
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016885)

I appreciate your comments, Rob. I was given a written sheet of paper entitled 'Sonorex Patient Post Therapy Instructions' so I am quite clear on that, but....because this is new, there are still many shades of gray...also I don't know anyone here to talk to about it, so I am going through many of the same 'feelings' (emotional) as the Ossatron gang. That's why I'm following their stories...just helps me to feel a little less alone in this! Have you had ESWT?
posted to the eswt board

David L on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016896)

Hi Linda,
I just wanted to add my comments about the frequency of the treatments. For patient comfort reasons, we usually recommend waiting a week in between treatments. A small inflammation at the site makes the area tender. 4-6 weeks down the road, it makes no difference whether you've had treatments once a week for 3 weeks, 3 times in 1 week, or daily for 3 days. The outcome is basically the same in that everybody needs to get a minimum of 6000 shocks (2000 per session). Everybody is different as to their comfort level. We have many professional athletes who have treatment on an accelerated basis because of time and travel restraints, but there is ultimately no difference to the outcome. You are usually in and out of the clinic in 15-30 minutes.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.because of time and travel restraints, have their treatments on an
David Lowy
Sonorex Canada
Toll Free 1 877 766-6287 http://www.sonorex.com
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016902)

Hello Trish. No I have not had ESWT performed on me. My involvement on this matter has to do with the fact that I've been communicating with the Germans who have been doing this for several years now. I first learned about ESWT in 1997 and have been following it's progression since. I work with renal lithotripsy (ESWL) and it is the same technology being applied and there is a set protocol for pre-ESWL and post-ESWL that is fairly standard in the industry. I would like to see the same consistancy being applied to ESWT and will offer any advice that I think might benefit people who are looking for help on these boards. This site is the most comprehensive one for ESWT that I've come across and I feel it is a great medium for all of us to ask, research and find solutions for questions that we have about ESWT treatments.
posted to the eswt board

Linda on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016918)

Thanks for the information David. I am close to the Ottawa area about two hours from Ottawa. So I guess I do have a good drive ahead of me for these treatments. It is really great to find all this information before I decide on what to do next. Now I just have to decide on the times to take the treatments. Thanks again for the information. I will probably have more questions later.
posted to the eswt board

Linda on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016919)

Hi Trish. Wow you have really had PF for awhile, and have tried alot of treatments. I wish you all the very best with this sonorex treatment. Please keep me informed on how it is going. I will keep following up with you and I hope to take these treatments myself. I'm just trying to think of when to do it. The summer actually seems like it might be the best time for me to do it. I am a child care giver which keeps me going all day long. I use spenco cushions in my shoes to keep my feet from hurting most of the day. I tell ya when I take thoses shoes off my feet hurt. I live a couple of hours from Ottawa where they have these treatments. With all the information that I am receiving from this message board makes me feel that there might be a relief from PF finally. I bet you agree. Well talk later keep posting

posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016923)

I am a dance teacher (4 times per week), so I really need my feet too! I am off in the summers, and my feet don't improve at all then, in fact often seem worse! So...if it was as simple as quit dancing & it'll be gone, I'd have done that long ago. I wear orthotics in my dance shoes. Anyway....what I'm getting at is that the Sonorex treatments have not affected my ability to teach at all; in fact my feet have been much worse at other times, so you may be able to have the treatment and keep up your child-care job at the same time....although of course you have to travel for the treatment, and so that will affect your scheduling of it. I just wanted to let you know that Sonorex didn't leave me feeling incapacitated at all.
posted to the eswt board

David L on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016925)

Trish,
Glad to hear that you are continuing on with what you are doing and not feeling incapacitated. That is a key feature of low energy treatments. We encourage our patients to continue on with what they are doing. We at Sonorex have treated many top-level professional athletes who can't be sidelined. In fact, last summer we took a Sonocur to a professional golf tournament where we treated many players in the locker room either before or after their round. In fact, Payne Stewart was treated for PF and played the next day.
Keep us informed of your progress!
Regards,
David

posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016927)

Funny you should mention golf.....I've only golfed a couple of times in my life, long before I got PF. Since then, I've been invited to go golfing several times, and have always turned it down due to the PF. To me, it seems the ultimate worst for PF.....all that standing around!! Maybe some day........
posted to the eswt board

Sandra Grassby on 3/23/00 at 00:00 (017732)

Since you have three treatments and they were done in march could you let me know if you have felt any relief of pain. I am thinking of opting for the three treatments. I would appeciate your response very much.
Sandra Grassby

posted to the eswt board

linda on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016794)

hi trish. I am thinking about going for sonorex treatment on my heelspurs. Can you let me know where you had yours done and how it is going. thanks
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016811)

Hi. I am having the treatments in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada). They just got the Sonorex machine here about 6 wks. ago, at The Edmonton Sports Institute. For more info. on locations of machines, check out the sonorex website: http://www.sonorex.com or call toll free: 1-877-766-6287. I have posted my experience so far further down on this message board. Feel free to ask me anything else. Good Luck!
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016846)

Keep in mind that the Ossatron Gang is trying to get cured with only one treatment which is the preferred way to treat in the U.S. In Canada, multiple treatments are the protocol so post care for the two different ways of treatments might not be exactly the same. The Ossatron Gang is being treated with high intensity shock waves while others are being treated with medium intensity power. The fact that there are two different methods that are being applied for ESWT might indicate that there may be two distinctly different post treatment recovery protocols. So when getting advice on post treatment care, consider which protocol you were treated with first, it might matter.
posted to the eswt board

Linda on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016876)

Hi Trish, thank you for the information. I guess you must be the only one so far out there that has had the sonorex treatment. I think this might be the way that I go. I have had my heel spurs on both my feet for 2 years now. painful yes. How long did you have yours for? And did you have any treatments prior to the sonorex treatment? When you have these treatments do you have to wait a week or so between each session? Well that is all I can think of for now and thank you.

posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016882)

I have had PF in both feet for 8 years. I tried many treatments including: custom-made orthotics (5 or 6 pairs that cost around $350 each), birkenstocks (more helpful than the orthotics), icing (still do it about twice daily, sometimes more), anti-inflammatory medication, cortizone shots, 6 months of acupuncture, moxibustion, chiropractic, massage, physiotherapy, SURGERY in 1995 (complete failure), stretching, glucosamine supplements, rest, etc, etc. I am feeling optimistic for the first time in years!!!!!! Many of the above treatments have given me a little temporary relief; the only that I continue with regularly are birkenstocks, orthotics if I can't wear the birks, icing, rest, and anti-inflammatories when the pain is really bad (usually about once a week)......HOWEVER remember that we all are different and what didn't work for me may be the answer for you! About the Sonorex.....standard procedure is 3 treatments, 1 week apart, and then wait 6 wks. to see the results....at that point, some people go for 2 more treatments. So my 6 wk. wait is just starting. I am very hopeful!!! Keep posting. I'd like to hear what you do. Do you live in Canada?
posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016885)

I appreciate your comments, Rob. I was given a written sheet of paper entitled 'Sonorex Patient Post Therapy Instructions' so I am quite clear on that, but....because this is new, there are still many shades of gray...also I don't know anyone here to talk to about it, so I am going through many of the same 'feelings' (emotional) as the Ossatron gang. That's why I'm following their stories...just helps me to feel a little less alone in this! Have you had ESWT?
posted to the eswt board

David L on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016896)

Hi Linda,
I just wanted to add my comments about the frequency of the treatments. For patient comfort reasons, we usually recommend waiting a week in between treatments. A small inflammation at the site makes the area tender. 4-6 weeks down the road, it makes no difference whether you've had treatments once a week for 3 weeks, 3 times in 1 week, or daily for 3 days. The outcome is basically the same in that everybody needs to get a minimum of 6000 shocks (2000 per session). Everybody is different as to their comfort level. We have many professional athletes who have treatment on an accelerated basis because of time and travel restraints, but there is ultimately no difference to the outcome. You are usually in and out of the clinic in 15-30 minutes.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.because of time and travel restraints, have their treatments on an
David Lowy
Sonorex Canada
Toll Free 1 877 766-6287 http://www.sonorex.com
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016902)

Hello Trish. No I have not had ESWT performed on me. My involvement on this matter has to do with the fact that I've been communicating with the Germans who have been doing this for several years now. I first learned about ESWT in 1997 and have been following it's progression since. I work with renal lithotripsy (ESWL) and it is the same technology being applied and there is a set protocol for pre-ESWL and post-ESWL that is fairly standard in the industry. I would like to see the same consistancy being applied to ESWT and will offer any advice that I think might benefit people who are looking for help on these boards. This site is the most comprehensive one for ESWT that I've come across and I feel it is a great medium for all of us to ask, research and find solutions for questions that we have about ESWT treatments.
posted to the eswt board

Linda on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016918)

Thanks for the information David. I am close to the Ottawa area about two hours from Ottawa. So I guess I do have a good drive ahead of me for these treatments. It is really great to find all this information before I decide on what to do next. Now I just have to decide on the times to take the treatments. Thanks again for the information. I will probably have more questions later.
posted to the eswt board

Linda on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016919)

Hi Trish. Wow you have really had PF for awhile, and have tried alot of treatments. I wish you all the very best with this sonorex treatment. Please keep me informed on how it is going. I will keep following up with you and I hope to take these treatments myself. I'm just trying to think of when to do it. The summer actually seems like it might be the best time for me to do it. I am a child care giver which keeps me going all day long. I use spenco cushions in my shoes to keep my feet from hurting most of the day. I tell ya when I take thoses shoes off my feet hurt. I live a couple of hours from Ottawa where they have these treatments. With all the information that I am receiving from this message board makes me feel that there might be a relief from PF finally. I bet you agree. Well talk later keep posting

posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016923)

I am a dance teacher (4 times per week), so I really need my feet too! I am off in the summers, and my feet don't improve at all then, in fact often seem worse! So...if it was as simple as quit dancing & it'll be gone, I'd have done that long ago. I wear orthotics in my dance shoes. Anyway....what I'm getting at is that the Sonorex treatments have not affected my ability to teach at all; in fact my feet have been much worse at other times, so you may be able to have the treatment and keep up your child-care job at the same time....although of course you have to travel for the treatment, and so that will affect your scheduling of it. I just wanted to let you know that Sonorex didn't leave me feeling incapacitated at all.
posted to the eswt board

David L on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016925)

Trish,
Glad to hear that you are continuing on with what you are doing and not feeling incapacitated. That is a key feature of low energy treatments. We encourage our patients to continue on with what they are doing. We at Sonorex have treated many top-level professional athletes who can't be sidelined. In fact, last summer we took a Sonocur to a professional golf tournament where we treated many players in the locker room either before or after their round. In fact, Payne Stewart was treated for PF and played the next day.
Keep us informed of your progress!
Regards,
David

posted to the eswt board

Trish on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016927)

Funny you should mention golf.....I've only golfed a couple of times in my life, long before I got PF. Since then, I've been invited to go golfing several times, and have always turned it down due to the PF. To me, it seems the ultimate worst for PF.....all that standing around!! Maybe some day........
posted to the eswt board

Sandra Grassby on 3/23/00 at 00:00 (017732)

Since you have three treatments and they were done in march could you let me know if you have felt any relief of pain. I am thinking of opting for the three treatments. I would appeciate your response very much.
Sandra Grassby

posted to the eswt board