Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Reflexology is new to me too

Posted by Kim B. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016779)

I've got a lot to learn about it, but from what little I understand, certian organs and places on our bodies have nerve endings located in our feet. So, she massages on certian spots to relieve pain. There are places on the foot that relate to the neck, spine, liver, gallbladder, etc..

For example she was massaging a very tender spot on my foot and I asked her what was the corrisponding part of the body for it and she checked the chart sitting just beside my foot, and told me it was connected to my uterous. I told her that was taken out by hysterectomy and she said that I must have some scaring inside where it used to be. I agree, my tummy is still sore 8 months later. She continued to massage that area, saying that she would try to break up some of the scaring there.

TTS is nerve entrapment right? I was starting to suspecting that is part of my problem (and it may still be.) However, she worked my ankles over really good, going away to work on that nerve I mentioned in my leg (ouch there!), and then coming back to the ankles. Eventually, there was some popping and cracking in my ankles and it hurt a little, but then, a relief! Hard to describe it exactly. After a while, she went to working on my legs again, then my head, and before I left there, I was feeling circulation into my feet that I assure you had not been there before. The pain in my ankles has greatly deminished, I expect it to creep back in, but maybe after a few treatments it will stay away longer and longer. Eventually healing. That is the idea, I think.

It's not a cure all, I have to go back, she estimates 10 treatments or so (remember, I have a lot wrong with me, not just my feet). She made diet recommendations and etc.. All I know is that the past two days have been better than most, without the use of heavy painkilling drugs. I'm starting to hurt again a little, rainy weather may be a factor, but I'm up, and I'm not in misery, and for me that is pretty good. She spent 2 hours with me.

I was refered to her by a friend. I was in such a pain flair up, I was looking for a massage therapits who knows reflexology and cacral cranial release. That what I ended up with. Our insurance will only help pay for massasge with a prescription and if it is done at a specific kind of rehab center. I don't think this one will qualify.

I've been self massaging my feet too. Good luck, hope this answers some of your questions.

Kim B.

john h on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016786)

kim: i had a doctor advise me that if one has TTS that a very vigorous massage in the ankle area could possible cause injury. the reflexologist i was using gauged her success by how much pain she caused me. she had me raise one finger for pain level 1 and all 10 for pain level 10. she did cause me a few level 10's and that was my one and only vist. i think deep down she hated 'men'!

Re: Reflexology and TSS

Kim B. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016791)

Well see, I haven't been officially diagnosed with TSS, but I definately have some kind of ankle problems going on. I do officially have PF and heel spurs for sure, and I have siatic nerve problems, so maybe that is what she was able to un-hitch. Dern if I know. Who knows what goes on with 'alternative therapies', I guess that's the 'alternative' part, not quite knowing.

Thanks for the info though, I sure that those properly diagnosed with TSS may need to know that. All I know is that my feet are better, not worse since I had my visit. We'll see how the next one goes. Overall, it was the massage that is my favorite part anyway. (Maybe you can find a male that won't take out his repressed anger on you.
:-)

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Reflexology is good to me.

Kim B. on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017229)

I think that massage is suppose to break up the scar tissue.

I've had two reflexology appointments and my feet like it very much. She massages, rubs,and actually yanks my ankle around in a way the makes the old snap crakle pop noises, and ahhhh, I can feel the relief. It's like she unpinches some thing that are kinked up. I dunno exactly what the heck's going on. I just intuitively know it is helping more than it is hurting.

Bye, Kim B.

john h on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016786)

kim: i had a doctor advise me that if one has TTS that a very vigorous massage in the ankle area could possible cause injury. the reflexologist i was using gauged her success by how much pain she caused me. she had me raise one finger for pain level 1 and all 10 for pain level 10. she did cause me a few level 10's and that was my one and only vist. i think deep down she hated 'men'!

Re: Reflexology and TSS

Kim B. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016791)

Well see, I haven't been officially diagnosed with TSS, but I definately have some kind of ankle problems going on. I do officially have PF and heel spurs for sure, and I have siatic nerve problems, so maybe that is what she was able to un-hitch. Dern if I know. Who knows what goes on with 'alternative therapies', I guess that's the 'alternative' part, not quite knowing.

Thanks for the info though, I sure that those properly diagnosed with TSS may need to know that. All I know is that my feet are better, not worse since I had my visit. We'll see how the next one goes. Overall, it was the massage that is my favorite part anyway. (Maybe you can find a male that won't take out his repressed anger on you.
:-)

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Reflexology is good to me.

Kim B. on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017229)

I think that massage is suppose to break up the scar tissue.

I've had two reflexology appointments and my feet like it very much. She massages, rubs,and actually yanks my ankle around in a way the makes the old snap crakle pop noises, and ahhhh, I can feel the relief. It's like she unpinches some thing that are kinked up. I dunno exactly what the heck's going on. I just intuitively know it is helping more than it is hurting.

Bye, Kim B.