Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

conflicting advice from different doctors

Posted by Helen on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016787)

It seems that Dr. Galea and Dr. Gordon have quite different post-treatment strategies. I was told by Dr. Galea's assistant, James, that I could walk as much as I wanted after Oss. on both feet, and that I should stretch, not run and not do my low-impact aerobics for a couple of weeks as this might mean I would 'march' and marching is apparently not appropriate.

Now I hear that Dr. Gordon wants people to just walk one block at the most - basically take it very easy. I have already bungled if his advice is the most appropriate. Is there any other source of advice that we can access?

For the record, I don't wear any footwear in the shower. I'd like to find a cheap flexible plastic sandal with high-arch support. Any ideas?

Take care All,

Helen

posted to the eswt board

Re: conflicting advice from different doctors

GinaC on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016806)

Maybe there isn't ONE best or right way to recover at this point in time. Drs. Galea and Gordon do seem to have different strategies especially regarding use of anti-inflammatory measures and amount of walking early on. They both seem to agree on stretching. Perhaps some of the differences are due to the newness of the treatment and finding what works best. I just hope we all become pain-free at the end of 12 weeks.
posted to the eswt board

Martha B. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016822)

Helen-try http://www.anywears.com for the plastic shoes.I cant live without mine. Pre ossatron I took the insert in them out and showered in them. They can even be put in the dishwasher to clean. I wear mine just about everywhere(anywears-lol). My very best wishes to all of the 'gang' and pray you are as fortunate with your treatment as I was.I want to remind you that a couple of us had a setback feelings at 3 weeks and again 5-6 weeks.By setback feeling I mean the preossatron pain came back for a couple of days. It is so hard to be patient and realize that there is no quick fix with anything.
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016841)

I suggest that someone in this group to get in touch with the treating doctors and tell them to come up with a post treatment protocol to eliminate all this confusion over what is best for your post treatment recovery. You people are blazing a path for future patients and your experience will be monitored from many others who will visit this site to get advice before and after they get treated. Although you are not doctors you might be able to get physicians to commit to some basic standards and those standards posted on this web page. The treatment protocol is very new and we need to help each other and enlists the help of medical professionals if we are to avoid confusion and get the maximum benefits from ESWT treatments. Dr Zuckerman is a great start but the more his colleagues participate in these discussions the better we can come to a conclusion over what is best for the majority.
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016867)

I know that everyone out here in PF-ossatron land know that that the treateing doctor should beable to help you with what to do after the ssurgery of shock wave treatment. I will try to help buy giving my opinion and what I tell all of my post orbasone heel spur pain patients.

1. First three days rest, rest, rest, hot soaks twenty minutes bid
twice daily. Ice for pain.

2. Never go without shoes. I dispense powersteps This is an over the counter orthosis that will support the plantar fascia.

3. Standing stretching of the achilles tendon witht he foot flat
both legs twenty times twice daily. If you have pain in the foot make sure the foot is flat. Only should have pulling at the junction of the tendon and the muscle. This is usually mid calf.

4. When I say no bare feet I mean this.!!!!. Wear the same shoe heigth and don't change to different shoes.

5. Take pain medications as needed. I give patients vicoprofen

6. As far as walking etc. I don't recommend any long distance walking at all. Any activity that causes pain shopping , long periods of standing etc if it is painful stop this. Listen to your foot. It will tell you when to rest and relax.

7 Physical therapy is great. Hydrotherapy ( whirlpool ) ultrasound
is good it you have the time and the place. I have always like hot , hot , hot.

8. If the inserts are uncomfortable . Then use a elastic ankle support the one I like is called futura. You can find this in any CVS or Rite Aid drugs store.

This is my post-op protocol with the orbasone. I do like idea of the ppersonal trainer device that is made by Mike W. When to begin this will depend of the ability and motivation

9. The cause of the heel spur pain must be evaluated at some time. What I mean is why did the patient get this problem. My own opinion is that man has problems standing and walking on hard surfaces such as cement, concrete.I am beginning a relationship with a nurse who has a masters in nursing and runs a welliness center. She is doing deep massage and reflexology on one of why post-op orbasone slow healing very little relief patients. I do believe that foot manipulation will play a role in my post-op care of long term patient.

From my experience patients usually don't have the time or the desire to excercise once the pain of the problem is gone.

I hope that this is helpful and that any advice or help will be helpful to Dr. Zuckerman and to all of the patients.

I have found that the most important aspect of any surgery is the post-op care.

Dr. Zuckerman
posted to the eswt board

Karen K on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016873)

Hi Helen!
I hope you're doin' well. Hey, re: 'cheap flexible plastic sandal with a high arch support' I just ordered a pair of Energizing Sandals with all the little flexible nubs from the cheap Birkenstock site. They are called, 'Super Noppy' They cost 27 euros which is still a bit pricy but with summer right around the corner I'll be heading back to the pool at the gym and I'm not takin' any chances walking around the locker/showers/pool area without arch support.
Happy healing,
Karen K
posted to the eswt board

Helen on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016880)

Thanks for the sandals idea. I am looking at that one, as well as the Airways rubber ones
posted to the eswt board

GinaC on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016806)

Maybe there isn't ONE best or right way to recover at this point in time. Drs. Galea and Gordon do seem to have different strategies especially regarding use of anti-inflammatory measures and amount of walking early on. They both seem to agree on stretching. Perhaps some of the differences are due to the newness of the treatment and finding what works best. I just hope we all become pain-free at the end of 12 weeks.
posted to the eswt board

Martha B. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016822)

Helen-try http://www.anywears.com for the plastic shoes.I cant live without mine. Pre ossatron I took the insert in them out and showered in them. They can even be put in the dishwasher to clean. I wear mine just about everywhere(anywears-lol). My very best wishes to all of the 'gang' and pray you are as fortunate with your treatment as I was.I want to remind you that a couple of us had a setback feelings at 3 weeks and again 5-6 weeks.By setback feeling I mean the preossatron pain came back for a couple of days. It is so hard to be patient and realize that there is no quick fix with anything.
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016841)

I suggest that someone in this group to get in touch with the treating doctors and tell them to come up with a post treatment protocol to eliminate all this confusion over what is best for your post treatment recovery. You people are blazing a path for future patients and your experience will be monitored from many others who will visit this site to get advice before and after they get treated. Although you are not doctors you might be able to get physicians to commit to some basic standards and those standards posted on this web page. The treatment protocol is very new and we need to help each other and enlists the help of medical professionals if we are to avoid confusion and get the maximum benefits from ESWT treatments. Dr Zuckerman is a great start but the more his colleagues participate in these discussions the better we can come to a conclusion over what is best for the majority.
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016867)

I know that everyone out here in PF-ossatron land know that that the treateing doctor should beable to help you with what to do after the ssurgery of shock wave treatment. I will try to help buy giving my opinion and what I tell all of my post orbasone heel spur pain patients.

1. First three days rest, rest, rest, hot soaks twenty minutes bid
twice daily. Ice for pain.

2. Never go without shoes. I dispense powersteps This is an over the counter orthosis that will support the plantar fascia.

3. Standing stretching of the achilles tendon witht he foot flat
both legs twenty times twice daily. If you have pain in the foot make sure the foot is flat. Only should have pulling at the junction of the tendon and the muscle. This is usually mid calf.

4. When I say no bare feet I mean this.!!!!. Wear the same shoe heigth and don't change to different shoes.

5. Take pain medications as needed. I give patients vicoprofen

6. As far as walking etc. I don't recommend any long distance walking at all. Any activity that causes pain shopping , long periods of standing etc if it is painful stop this. Listen to your foot. It will tell you when to rest and relax.

7 Physical therapy is great. Hydrotherapy ( whirlpool ) ultrasound
is good it you have the time and the place. I have always like hot , hot , hot.

8. If the inserts are uncomfortable . Then use a elastic ankle support the one I like is called futura. You can find this in any CVS or Rite Aid drugs store.

This is my post-op protocol with the orbasone. I do like idea of the ppersonal trainer device that is made by Mike W. When to begin this will depend of the ability and motivation

9. The cause of the heel spur pain must be evaluated at some time. What I mean is why did the patient get this problem. My own opinion is that man has problems standing and walking on hard surfaces such as cement, concrete.I am beginning a relationship with a nurse who has a masters in nursing and runs a welliness center. She is doing deep massage and reflexology on one of why post-op orbasone slow healing very little relief patients. I do believe that foot manipulation will play a role in my post-op care of long term patient.

From my experience patients usually don't have the time or the desire to excercise once the pain of the problem is gone.

I hope that this is helpful and that any advice or help will be helpful to Dr. Zuckerman and to all of the patients.

I have found that the most important aspect of any surgery is the post-op care.

Dr. Zuckerman
posted to the eswt board

Karen K on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016873)

Hi Helen!
I hope you're doin' well. Hey, re: 'cheap flexible plastic sandal with a high arch support' I just ordered a pair of Energizing Sandals with all the little flexible nubs from the cheap Birkenstock site. They are called, 'Super Noppy' They cost 27 euros which is still a bit pricy but with summer right around the corner I'll be heading back to the pool at the gym and I'm not takin' any chances walking around the locker/showers/pool area without arch support.
Happy healing,
Karen K
posted to the eswt board

Helen on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016880)

Thanks for the sandals idea. I am looking at that one, as well as the Airways rubber ones
posted to the eswt board