Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

establishing post ossatron protocol

Posted by Helen on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016849)

I wish we could get the doctors to take part in such a useful project. I will mention it to Dr. Galea next week in person. He is very busy. But I can say that the treatment is so new that it seems no one really knows how much one should restrict activities. I fear that I have pushed my limits too far too soon. But Galea didn't advise me against this; he just said Don't run. And of course I never run. Who would?

Helen

posted to the eswt board

Re: establishing post ossatron protocol

Rob on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016862)

It is Dr. Galea's job and ethical duty to provide you with information about proper post care on a proceedure he performed on you. No doctor should be held unaccountable just because they are busy. If the medical professional who administered the treatment cannot be of help to you then who should be held responisible for your proper care?
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016868)

If the doctor really is too busy then he should train a PT person that is available at all times to give advice and or answer any questions. When the patient is confused then the patient will be lost.
In my office everything is written down so that anyone can answer any question that may come up. In addition the best advice is to listen to your foot. It will time what and when you can do things. Tincture of time is the only answer to get back to 100%
posted to the eswt board

Nicole V.R. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016875)

I found it quite odd that Dr. Gordon didn't have post treatment written down to hand out to us. Many of the things he told me to do, such as getting PT, were in passing, as if he might have forgotten to tell me anything. As I said before, he didn't give me any stretches to do. I just figured the medical culture in Canada was different.
Funny, Dr. Z., that you should mention another product if the inserts are bothersome. I was beginning to wonder if the gel inserts Dr Gordon had us buy were causing more pain than not. Perhaps I'll try what you recommended instead. Thanks

posted to the eswt board

Helen on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016879)

Boy, this is confusing. I wouldn't say this is a made in Canada problem. I think it is hard to say why we didn't get good instructions for post-treatment. I am seeing Dr. Galea next week and will gently but firmly discuss this with him. I also think it is up to the organizers, including John W. and I am not sure who else, to work with doctors on the follow-up to Ossatron. I am feeling a bit upset at present, because both Dr. Galea and his assistant James have been unavailable all week. James is actually away probably on vacation. I think I may have reinjured my feet, but have had only a receptionist (I am not sure who she was) at the Sports Institute to talk with. I hope others are doing better.

Helen
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016883)

I understand that some of you may be upset about all the confusion about post care treatment but try not to put the blame on the organizers. They are representatives of their products not medical doctors. If there is a problem with the care or communication involving the care then it is an issue that has to be brought to the attention of the physician or he will keep making the same mistakes again with other patients. This is a fairly new proceedure and they need your feedback so they can improve their care in the future. Dr. Zuckerman puts his instructions in writing which I believe is an excellent idea. If we could start insisting that the other treating physicans do the same then we would avoid at least some of the confusion.
posted to the eswt board

Helen on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016917)

Rob: I hope that you can assist in this process re a protocol. I sense that you are urging us who had the treatment to DO something. It is difficult as you may know to communicate with physicians, whose mercy we are at, especially when we are given 'free' treatments. I am certainly going to ask for written protocol when I next see the dr., but you can imagine that I am also vulnerable with my dr. because I may need another 'free' treatment if I dont' get improvement from the Ossatron I had done two weeks ago.

Helen

posted to the eswt board

Rob on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016862)

It is Dr. Galea's job and ethical duty to provide you with information about proper post care on a proceedure he performed on you. No doctor should be held unaccountable just because they are busy. If the medical professional who administered the treatment cannot be of help to you then who should be held responisible for your proper care?
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016868)

If the doctor really is too busy then he should train a PT person that is available at all times to give advice and or answer any questions. When the patient is confused then the patient will be lost.
In my office everything is written down so that anyone can answer any question that may come up. In addition the best advice is to listen to your foot. It will time what and when you can do things. Tincture of time is the only answer to get back to 100%
posted to the eswt board

Nicole V.R. on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016875)

I found it quite odd that Dr. Gordon didn't have post treatment written down to hand out to us. Many of the things he told me to do, such as getting PT, were in passing, as if he might have forgotten to tell me anything. As I said before, he didn't give me any stretches to do. I just figured the medical culture in Canada was different.
Funny, Dr. Z., that you should mention another product if the inserts are bothersome. I was beginning to wonder if the gel inserts Dr Gordon had us buy were causing more pain than not. Perhaps I'll try what you recommended instead. Thanks

posted to the eswt board

Helen on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016879)

Boy, this is confusing. I wouldn't say this is a made in Canada problem. I think it is hard to say why we didn't get good instructions for post-treatment. I am seeing Dr. Galea next week and will gently but firmly discuss this with him. I also think it is up to the organizers, including John W. and I am not sure who else, to work with doctors on the follow-up to Ossatron. I am feeling a bit upset at present, because both Dr. Galea and his assistant James have been unavailable all week. James is actually away probably on vacation. I think I may have reinjured my feet, but have had only a receptionist (I am not sure who she was) at the Sports Institute to talk with. I hope others are doing better.

Helen
posted to the eswt board

Rob on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016883)

I understand that some of you may be upset about all the confusion about post care treatment but try not to put the blame on the organizers. They are representatives of their products not medical doctors. If there is a problem with the care or communication involving the care then it is an issue that has to be brought to the attention of the physician or he will keep making the same mistakes again with other patients. This is a fairly new proceedure and they need your feedback so they can improve their care in the future. Dr. Zuckerman puts his instructions in writing which I believe is an excellent idea. If we could start insisting that the other treating physicans do the same then we would avoid at least some of the confusion.
posted to the eswt board

Helen on 3/04/00 at 00:00 (016917)

Rob: I hope that you can assist in this process re a protocol. I sense that you are urging us who had the treatment to DO something. It is difficult as you may know to communicate with physicians, whose mercy we are at, especially when we are given 'free' treatments. I am certainly going to ask for written protocol when I next see the dr., but you can imagine that I am also vulnerable with my dr. because I may need another 'free' treatment if I dont' get improvement from the Ossatron I had done two weeks ago.

Helen

posted to the eswt board