Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery

Posted by Lefty on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016856)

I've had severe PF for almost 2 years. Although it has lessened somewhat by eliminating running, I'm still a long way from even normal activities. I've done all the usual from ice to ibuprofen. My Podiatrist says he'd be reluctant to do the surgery because I have very high arches.

Any ideas on that?

Re: surgery

alan k on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013787)

I am watching your case with interest.

I've had surgery before for my knee so I know that though surgery is extremely unnatural, nature is often much more cruel.

I think if there are a lot of people with pf or tts for 3-4 years who suddenly find a way to get better, that would be an extremely strong indication not to jump into surgery. So would many bed stories about complications.

At some point, I will go for it if I don't make any progress, and as long as it is certain what I have. I have to fully exhaust all options before such an irreversible decision.

alan k

Lori S on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015524)

Laura, Surgery is a LAST option. One that you shouldn't even attempt unless you don't care if you ever walk again! I had spur removal and 2/3 release surgery last May (9 1/2 months ago). I had suffered for over 10 years and didn't care anymore. If you haven't tried everything (including acupuncture from a certified person), you are not ready for sugery. Also, you need to be aware that it doesn't always work (I am over 75% better than before surgery but still have soreness. The acupuncture worked better on my non-surgeried foot than on the surgeried foot as of now) If you want more info, you can write me at lssteadman@ mindspring.com (leave out the space)
Lori in AZ

Nancy S. on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015530)

Lori, I see you are still giving this wise advice, and I wanted to thank you again for giving me this same advice when I first posted two months ago (as did Alan and Wendy). I find that more conservative treatments I've been trying since then are definitely helping, and continue to hope that I won't need to go the surgery route. If I do, it will be a long time from now because I want to give everything else a chance. I'm glad you are doing better and that your surgeried foot has improved as much as it has. I'm happy for all people with successful surgeries, certainly. I just agree with you that it should be a last resort. If I hadn't listened to you, I'd have undergone surgery by now, and that would have been foolish considering that other treatments are helping a lot so far. Thanks again. -- Nancy S.

john h on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015533)

lori: alas this is a very personal decision you and only you can make as only you know how you feel physically and mentally. i had open surgery and i am glad i did as i would hate to suffer a lifetime not knowing whether surgery would help or not. it has been 5 months since my surgery and i am somewhat better but not where i hoped i would be. the chances of minimal invasive surgery making you a cripple are remote. hundreds of thousands of pf surgery are performed each year with most being successful. the most important thing, in my opinion, if you opt for surgery is in the selection of your surgeon. i would try many of things you read about on this board and have the problem for no less than a year before i opted for surgery.

john h on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016861)

as always get a 2nd and a 3rd opinion as well as try much of what you see on this board. ie: night splints, massage, ice, stretch, whatever works.

Cheryl Boston on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016865)

Have you stayed off your feet completely yet??with a hard cast? for a month? thats what I'm looking at next Wednesday.I PRAY AND HOPE this works I am going crazy with this lifestyle..This is my last stop b/4 getting the surgery (I THINK).. I can't take it..

alan k on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013787)

I am watching your case with interest.

I've had surgery before for my knee so I know that though surgery is extremely unnatural, nature is often much more cruel.

I think if there are a lot of people with pf or tts for 3-4 years who suddenly find a way to get better, that would be an extremely strong indication not to jump into surgery. So would many bed stories about complications.

At some point, I will go for it if I don't make any progress, and as long as it is certain what I have. I have to fully exhaust all options before such an irreversible decision.

alan k

Lori S on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015524)

Laura, Surgery is a LAST option. One that you shouldn't even attempt unless you don't care if you ever walk again! I had spur removal and 2/3 release surgery last May (9 1/2 months ago). I had suffered for over 10 years and didn't care anymore. If you haven't tried everything (including acupuncture from a certified person), you are not ready for sugery. Also, you need to be aware that it doesn't always work (I am over 75% better than before surgery but still have soreness. The acupuncture worked better on my non-surgeried foot than on the surgeried foot as of now) If you want more info, you can write me at lssteadman@ mindspring.com (leave out the space)
Lori in AZ

Nancy S. on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015530)

Lori, I see you are still giving this wise advice, and I wanted to thank you again for giving me this same advice when I first posted two months ago (as did Alan and Wendy). I find that more conservative treatments I've been trying since then are definitely helping, and continue to hope that I won't need to go the surgery route. If I do, it will be a long time from now because I want to give everything else a chance. I'm glad you are doing better and that your surgeried foot has improved as much as it has. I'm happy for all people with successful surgeries, certainly. I just agree with you that it should be a last resort. If I hadn't listened to you, I'd have undergone surgery by now, and that would have been foolish considering that other treatments are helping a lot so far. Thanks again. -- Nancy S.

john h on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015533)

lori: alas this is a very personal decision you and only you can make as only you know how you feel physically and mentally. i had open surgery and i am glad i did as i would hate to suffer a lifetime not knowing whether surgery would help or not. it has been 5 months since my surgery and i am somewhat better but not where i hoped i would be. the chances of minimal invasive surgery making you a cripple are remote. hundreds of thousands of pf surgery are performed each year with most being successful. the most important thing, in my opinion, if you opt for surgery is in the selection of your surgeon. i would try many of things you read about on this board and have the problem for no less than a year before i opted for surgery.

john h on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016861)

as always get a 2nd and a 3rd opinion as well as try much of what you see on this board. ie: night splints, massage, ice, stretch, whatever works.

Cheryl Boston on 3/03/00 at 00:00 (016865)

Have you stayed off your feet completely yet??with a hard cast? for a month? thats what I'm looking at next Wednesday.I PRAY AND HOPE this works I am going crazy with this lifestyle..This is my last stop b/4 getting the surgery (I THINK).. I can't take it..