Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Great Surgical Results!

Posted by BJC on 3/07/00 at 00:00 (017001)

Today I am 7 weeks post-op EPF, and want to share some good news with you in hopes that you will be encouraged! After a visit with the Pod (rhymes with God these days!), he has cleared me to wear regular shoes whenever I want, go BAREFOOT for 2-3 hours at a time, and do any activities I want! The tendonitis was much better today, so the only follow-up is to continue the strengthening exercises. I went shopping for 4 hours, and the surgical foot feels pretty good, cetainly better than the other foot, which does have PF. Needless to say, I am elated that the surgery worked. So, although you should not take surgery lightly, there is another option to consider. Good luck to all of you!

Re: Great Surgical Results...Be careful!!!

Colleen G on 3/07/00 at 00:00 (017002)

BJC,

I know how great you feel now. My foot felt great for a few weeks and then bam the pain was intense. Just remember that the pain can come back. It is a long healing process. I hope that you don't think that I am raining on your parade, but I don't want you to think that it is coming back if pain returns. Good luck with your recovery.

I hope that I didn't sound like a b----

Colleen

Re: Great Surgical Results!Re BJC

Laurie R on 3/07/00 at 00:00 (017003)

Hi BJC,
That is so wonderful to hear I am so glad you are doing so well.Wow shopping for 4 hours and just a little bit of pain .Keep on feeling good!!!!!!!!!!! Laurie R

john h on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017016)

i will backup colleen's statement. i had a PF release and TTS release on Aug 23, 99. I have ups and downs and some of the downs have been when i did to much to soon like walking 3 mile a day for 3-4 days in a row. anymore, i am reluctant to post when i am doing well because it seems as soon as i do i go backwards. currently, i am doing well and about 70% better than before surgery in both feet including the one that was not operated on. I ride a stationary bike about 45 minutes a day, some weights, walk a half mile, am on my feet for some time each day at work. I still ice twice a day, take 200-300mg celebrex each day, and have found massage to provide some help. Still use a night splint, alternating between each foot each night. Most of the doctors i have talked to think it will be a full year to gauge the effectiveness of the surgery especially with a TTS release. I wear New Balance 852 (wtih roll bar) even to work. I wear birk sandals around the house and when warm to movies, etc. Since both of my feet have improved the same amount - even the non surgical foot i wonder wonder what that means. i will not look a gift horse in the mouth however. expect setbacks and you want be disappointed when they happen but do not overdo.

BJC on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017019)

I know that things can go wrong, but other than the slight tendonitis, everything has gone as well as can be. I am being careful not to overdo it, but I couldn't resist walking barefoot this morning when I got up! So far, so good. The dr. said it will take 6 months for the complete process. EPF is a litle (a lot?) easier than conventional surgery. Thanks for the advice, though. I just want others to see that surgery is not as terrible as some make it out to be.

Re: Great Surgical Results!

salina on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017023)

Hi, glad you are doing so well after surgery. I can tell from your post that you are absolutely up in the sky now. That's great.
I have a question. What strengthening exercises do you do? Are they something anyone can do or specific to post surgery patients? I am just wondering because I do not have a doctor right now due to a mix up, but I am doing just whatever I can to strengthen my feet by myself. Thank you. And best wishes to you and the wonderful progress you have made.

BJC on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017051)

Right now I'm not doing a lot of exercising, but I am using gently resistive exercises for inversion/eversion - turning the ankle in and out. The dr. suggested using a scarf wrapped around the toes, and pulling it outward while moving the foot inward, and reversing for the other direction. Make sure you are turning just the ankle and not the whole leg. You don't get a lot of resistance, but I can feel that my ankle is stronger. I usually do 2 sets of 10 repetitions in each direction 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I use my hand to increase the resistance, but it's harder to do when turning the foot outward. He also recommended using the scarf for stretching, but I feel I can do that a little more efficiently using my hand. I'm an 'old Occupational Therapist', so I've done a lot of range of motion and resistive exercises for patients in the past (although I'm basically an 'upper extremity' person!).
Salina, are you a military dependent, seeing military drs? Just curious, from some of your posts. My husband was active duty for 30 years, retired 2 years ago. Military medicine is a lot different from 'the outside world'!

Sherman on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017052)

I would love to know what kind of surgery you had? My doctor has me in a removable boot, used when walking, for a month. This is the last try before surgery. Would you also please let me know what post-surgery was like. Were you in a cast & crutches and for how long?
Thanks!

BJC on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017055)

My surgery was EPF. I've posted a lot of the details before if you want to search them, but I'll hit the highlights. I was never casted before surgery, but taping did help. The surgery itself took about 45 minutes (from what I could tell), and I was home by 11:30 AM that day. My post-op was a little different from others - no cast, no crutches. My foot was wrapped in an ace bandage, and anytime I was up (only to the bathroom and dinner table for the firat few days), I had to wear a surgical boot. I was allowed to shower, and used a small stool to support my leg. I needed some assistance to walk the first 2-3 days, but after that could make it around on my own. After 1 week I was allowed to be up for 5-10 minutes at a time, and after 2 weeks 10-20 minutes. I could wear a tennis shoe after 10 days, and by 2 weeks was walking pretty well. Each day gets a little better. After gardening yesterday I feel fine, and have minimal discomfort in my non-surgical foot as well (I expected more). If you have any other questions I'll be glad to relate my experience. Good Luck!

SALINA on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017062)

Thanks for the exercising tips. And I am really glad you are doing so well after surgery.
Yes, sometimes I think the military medical field is in their own world. But I shouldn't complain. My real problem is that other than delivering my children, I have never been sick or had a real injury like this that absolutely HAS to be dealt with. So, for as long as we have been in the military, this is my first real attempt to use the medical system. And, unfortunately, I am getting very poor results. But I think there are lots of other people not getting much assistance from their doctor's either, so it is not just the military. I just complain about them because that is all I know, and don't seem to know much about it either. I am sure I will learn though by the time I am over this PF since it seems to be dragging itself out pretty slowly.
I am one of those scared of surgery, even though I don't even have that possibility at the moment anyway. I would definately have to have one foot done at a time if I ever resorted to surgery. Could not take the chance of them messing up both feet. I hate to run down the military, but I have to tell you the only 'surgical procedure' I have firsthand knowledge of them doing was a vasectomy on my husband. Needless to say, that is how we had our fifth surprise, as lovely as she is. I trully think they had someone practicing on him that didn't know what they were doing. I mean, that is one mistake I will gladly take now because we have one more wonderful child, but believe me Iwas sweating when the poor man had to go back in and let them snip him again. But I was also thinking 'better him than me'. Awful, I know, now look at me, by next year I will probably be in so much pain I will be begging the military to put me under the knife. That is what I get.
I will try the exercises you explained. Thanks

BJC on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017071)

Salina, the exercises I am doing are for a specific area of weakness, not for PF in general. They may help you, then again maybe not. As for the military drs., if you are not getting the treatment you feel you need, ask for another dr. You may find one who is more knowledgeable or more sympathetic. I also found with the military that they will not use treatments, medications if they feel they cost too much. I had a horrendous experience with Neurology and migraine headaches. Ended up using CHAMPUS and an outside dr, who was able to 'cure' my headaches. So, go for what you think you need, and don't be afraid to go to the clinic director/hospital commander if necessary. GOOD LUCK!!!

Colleen G on 3/07/00 at 00:00 (017002)

BJC,

I know how great you feel now. My foot felt great for a few weeks and then bam the pain was intense. Just remember that the pain can come back. It is a long healing process. I hope that you don't think that I am raining on your parade, but I don't want you to think that it is coming back if pain returns. Good luck with your recovery.

I hope that I didn't sound like a b----

Colleen

Re: Great Surgical Results!Re BJC

Laurie R on 3/07/00 at 00:00 (017003)

Hi BJC,
That is so wonderful to hear I am so glad you are doing so well.Wow shopping for 4 hours and just a little bit of pain .Keep on feeling good!!!!!!!!!!! Laurie R

john h on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017016)

i will backup colleen's statement. i had a PF release and TTS release on Aug 23, 99. I have ups and downs and some of the downs have been when i did to much to soon like walking 3 mile a day for 3-4 days in a row. anymore, i am reluctant to post when i am doing well because it seems as soon as i do i go backwards. currently, i am doing well and about 70% better than before surgery in both feet including the one that was not operated on. I ride a stationary bike about 45 minutes a day, some weights, walk a half mile, am on my feet for some time each day at work. I still ice twice a day, take 200-300mg celebrex each day, and have found massage to provide some help. Still use a night splint, alternating between each foot each night. Most of the doctors i have talked to think it will be a full year to gauge the effectiveness of the surgery especially with a TTS release. I wear New Balance 852 (wtih roll bar) even to work. I wear birk sandals around the house and when warm to movies, etc. Since both of my feet have improved the same amount - even the non surgical foot i wonder wonder what that means. i will not look a gift horse in the mouth however. expect setbacks and you want be disappointed when they happen but do not overdo.

BJC on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017019)

I know that things can go wrong, but other than the slight tendonitis, everything has gone as well as can be. I am being careful not to overdo it, but I couldn't resist walking barefoot this morning when I got up! So far, so good. The dr. said it will take 6 months for the complete process. EPF is a litle (a lot?) easier than conventional surgery. Thanks for the advice, though. I just want others to see that surgery is not as terrible as some make it out to be.

salina on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017023)

Hi, glad you are doing so well after surgery. I can tell from your post that you are absolutely up in the sky now. That's great.
I have a question. What strengthening exercises do you do? Are they something anyone can do or specific to post surgery patients? I am just wondering because I do not have a doctor right now due to a mix up, but I am doing just whatever I can to strengthen my feet by myself. Thank you. And best wishes to you and the wonderful progress you have made.

BJC on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017051)

Right now I'm not doing a lot of exercising, but I am using gently resistive exercises for inversion/eversion - turning the ankle in and out. The dr. suggested using a scarf wrapped around the toes, and pulling it outward while moving the foot inward, and reversing for the other direction. Make sure you are turning just the ankle and not the whole leg. You don't get a lot of resistance, but I can feel that my ankle is stronger. I usually do 2 sets of 10 repetitions in each direction 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I use my hand to increase the resistance, but it's harder to do when turning the foot outward. He also recommended using the scarf for stretching, but I feel I can do that a little more efficiently using my hand. I'm an 'old Occupational Therapist', so I've done a lot of range of motion and resistive exercises for patients in the past (although I'm basically an 'upper extremity' person!).
Salina, are you a military dependent, seeing military drs? Just curious, from some of your posts. My husband was active duty for 30 years, retired 2 years ago. Military medicine is a lot different from 'the outside world'!

Sherman on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017052)

I would love to know what kind of surgery you had? My doctor has me in a removable boot, used when walking, for a month. This is the last try before surgery. Would you also please let me know what post-surgery was like. Were you in a cast & crutches and for how long?
Thanks!

BJC on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017055)

My surgery was EPF. I've posted a lot of the details before if you want to search them, but I'll hit the highlights. I was never casted before surgery, but taping did help. The surgery itself took about 45 minutes (from what I could tell), and I was home by 11:30 AM that day. My post-op was a little different from others - no cast, no crutches. My foot was wrapped in an ace bandage, and anytime I was up (only to the bathroom and dinner table for the firat few days), I had to wear a surgical boot. I was allowed to shower, and used a small stool to support my leg. I needed some assistance to walk the first 2-3 days, but after that could make it around on my own. After 1 week I was allowed to be up for 5-10 minutes at a time, and after 2 weeks 10-20 minutes. I could wear a tennis shoe after 10 days, and by 2 weeks was walking pretty well. Each day gets a little better. After gardening yesterday I feel fine, and have minimal discomfort in my non-surgical foot as well (I expected more). If you have any other questions I'll be glad to relate my experience. Good Luck!

SALINA on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017062)

Thanks for the exercising tips. And I am really glad you are doing so well after surgery.
Yes, sometimes I think the military medical field is in their own world. But I shouldn't complain. My real problem is that other than delivering my children, I have never been sick or had a real injury like this that absolutely HAS to be dealt with. So, for as long as we have been in the military, this is my first real attempt to use the medical system. And, unfortunately, I am getting very poor results. But I think there are lots of other people not getting much assistance from their doctor's either, so it is not just the military. I just complain about them because that is all I know, and don't seem to know much about it either. I am sure I will learn though by the time I am over this PF since it seems to be dragging itself out pretty slowly.
I am one of those scared of surgery, even though I don't even have that possibility at the moment anyway. I would definately have to have one foot done at a time if I ever resorted to surgery. Could not take the chance of them messing up both feet. I hate to run down the military, but I have to tell you the only 'surgical procedure' I have firsthand knowledge of them doing was a vasectomy on my husband. Needless to say, that is how we had our fifth surprise, as lovely as she is. I trully think they had someone practicing on him that didn't know what they were doing. I mean, that is one mistake I will gladly take now because we have one more wonderful child, but believe me Iwas sweating when the poor man had to go back in and let them snip him again. But I was also thinking 'better him than me'. Awful, I know, now look at me, by next year I will probably be in so much pain I will be begging the military to put me under the knife. That is what I get.
I will try the exercises you explained. Thanks

BJC on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017071)

Salina, the exercises I am doing are for a specific area of weakness, not for PF in general. They may help you, then again maybe not. As for the military drs., if you are not getting the treatment you feel you need, ask for another dr. You may find one who is more knowledgeable or more sympathetic. I also found with the military that they will not use treatments, medications if they feel they cost too much. I had a horrendous experience with Neurology and migraine headaches. Ended up using CHAMPUS and an outside dr, who was able to 'cure' my headaches. So, go for what you think you need, and don't be afraid to go to the clinic director/hospital commander if necessary. GOOD LUCK!!!