Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long does it take?

Posted by Bob G. on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017007)

This may be a lifetime journey, but for now I am painfree and want to get back to running and dancing. How long do I have to wait before normal activity? I just met a gal and want to dance and play tennis with her, but I am scared of reinjury. When do I know I am okay to run?

Re: How long does it take?

alan k on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017009)

The longer you hold out Bob, the better. I would seriously consider a rehabilitation program to get strength back into your feet and legs, doing exercises on the feet without bearing weight or perhaps getting the PFT device for example. The reason is, your feet are definitely not what they used to be after this rest and treatment. You can't go diving back in just because you have no pain now (which you know and that's why you posted). What your condition means is that your feet are fine (so far) for your present level of activity. It does not mean they are fine for another level. So, you'll need to get those doggies in shape: a serious regimen of towel crunches, object picking up with your feet play, ankle rolls and alphabet traces, and counter balance strengthening by flexing against resistance to the top of your foot.

alan k

Rick R on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017015)

Bob,

I just want to echo what alan has said. I have been through the process of returning to running. The aspect that may not be intuitive is the effect of the much needed rest for the PF on the foot arch structure. Rebuilding the lost strength and flexibility gradually prior to that first attempt to run is critical. I think a minimum of 3 months pain free would be prudent and perhaps 6 months preferable. It would depend I suppose on how badly and for how long you have suffered. I also suggest the best arch support that you are able to find. Asics running shoes are the best for me in terms of arch support and cushioning. You may be well served to go to an athletic shoe store and dig around for someone that knows what they are doing.

I would also start running only 1 block at a time. The problem with PF is that you may not know you went too far until the next morning. I'd step it up in 1/2 mile increments. This is much more gradual than the rest of your body will yearn for. I wouldn't try dancing and certianly tennis until I was back to running regularly. I have found that other activities involving changes in direction are much more challenging than running from the PF perspective. This is not what I would want to hear if I were you!

Good Luck

Rick

Bill on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017043)

I'm sure you have a post some where about this, but what do you think helped you get over this the most. Certain brand of inserts? Superfeet? Therapy? Curious. I'm going on 3 years of having this in both heels. I had the shots and did the stretches, etc. I wear birks all evening and have orthodics in my rockport dress shoes for the day. I can walk around fine, but standing still for any amount of time kills my heels. Just curious what you think cured you.
Thanks and contrats for getting better. I'm sure you relieved.

Bill

Versavia on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017082)

My concern is that will the pain go away by itself from the both feet at the same time, or I will end up with pain relief on one foot only?
I have pain in both heels, first I started having pain on the left foot, then I started having it on the right one too. Now I have the pain for a year and it does not seem to go away. I have been wearing New Balance shoes for the past 6 months. The shoes help a little but not much and I am afraid to wear anything else. The pain is greater in the morning. Also, each time I get up from my chair it hurts. At this point I wander if it will take another year to heel . Would anyone know the time frame? Please help, I am in pain!!!!

Bob G. on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017089)

Hello Versavia,

I once had pain in both feet and imagined no end; it can get better. Don't do anything to aggrivate the situation, like trying to push through in spite of the pain - that only makes it worse. I know three things that work, they are rest, rest and rest.

Have you been diagnosed by a Podiatrist? There can be so many factors and some things work for some and other things work for others. I suggest you see a doctor.

I am not a doctor, but from what you posted I suspect that gentle stretching (wall stretch) and Birkenstock heel lifts may bring relief. They are called Birkenstock FuBbett inserts.

I can relate to your post, and this is what worked for me. Good luck!

Bob G. on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017133)

Hello Bill,
From your post I conclude we have different feet, so what works for me may not work for you. I encourage you to get involved and study all the posts on this message board. Good luck!

sinead on 3/11/00 at 00:00 (017136)

Thankyou Alan K for the excersise tips, that's what I'm really needing.. I'm a relatively new PF sufferer, seeing a Chiropractor now who has taught me some good stretches, performs many more, andcracks and manipulates all of me so that I feel MUCH better leaving his office. I am stretching , soaking in hot epsom salted H20, rolling on a golf ball, picking up marbles with toes, using more vit. supplements, C, calcium (citrate), magnesium, potassium, B commmplex, glucosamine, etc. I'm off to Ireland next week, for lots of walking, wish me luck.. I'm so glad for this message board.

Versavia on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017286)

Thanks Bob,

Today I went and see a chiropractor for the first time and I am willing to go for a few sessions to see if it helps my case I hope it does.
By the way where do I get those sandals from?

alan k on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017009)

The longer you hold out Bob, the better. I would seriously consider a rehabilitation program to get strength back into your feet and legs, doing exercises on the feet without bearing weight or perhaps getting the PFT device for example. The reason is, your feet are definitely not what they used to be after this rest and treatment. You can't go diving back in just because you have no pain now (which you know and that's why you posted). What your condition means is that your feet are fine (so far) for your present level of activity. It does not mean they are fine for another level. So, you'll need to get those doggies in shape: a serious regimen of towel crunches, object picking up with your feet play, ankle rolls and alphabet traces, and counter balance strengthening by flexing against resistance to the top of your foot.

alan k

Rick R on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017015)

Bob,

I just want to echo what alan has said. I have been through the process of returning to running. The aspect that may not be intuitive is the effect of the much needed rest for the PF on the foot arch structure. Rebuilding the lost strength and flexibility gradually prior to that first attempt to run is critical. I think a minimum of 3 months pain free would be prudent and perhaps 6 months preferable. It would depend I suppose on how badly and for how long you have suffered. I also suggest the best arch support that you are able to find. Asics running shoes are the best for me in terms of arch support and cushioning. You may be well served to go to an athletic shoe store and dig around for someone that knows what they are doing.

I would also start running only 1 block at a time. The problem with PF is that you may not know you went too far until the next morning. I'd step it up in 1/2 mile increments. This is much more gradual than the rest of your body will yearn for. I wouldn't try dancing and certianly tennis until I was back to running regularly. I have found that other activities involving changes in direction are much more challenging than running from the PF perspective. This is not what I would want to hear if I were you!

Good Luck

Rick

Bill on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017043)

I'm sure you have a post some where about this, but what do you think helped you get over this the most. Certain brand of inserts? Superfeet? Therapy? Curious. I'm going on 3 years of having this in both heels. I had the shots and did the stretches, etc. I wear birks all evening and have orthodics in my rockport dress shoes for the day. I can walk around fine, but standing still for any amount of time kills my heels. Just curious what you think cured you.
Thanks and contrats for getting better. I'm sure you relieved.

Bill

Versavia on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017082)

My concern is that will the pain go away by itself from the both feet at the same time, or I will end up with pain relief on one foot only?
I have pain in both heels, first I started having pain on the left foot, then I started having it on the right one too. Now I have the pain for a year and it does not seem to go away. I have been wearing New Balance shoes for the past 6 months. The shoes help a little but not much and I am afraid to wear anything else. The pain is greater in the morning. Also, each time I get up from my chair it hurts. At this point I wander if it will take another year to heel . Would anyone know the time frame? Please help, I am in pain!!!!

Bob G. on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017089)

Hello Versavia,

I once had pain in both feet and imagined no end; it can get better. Don't do anything to aggrivate the situation, like trying to push through in spite of the pain - that only makes it worse. I know three things that work, they are rest, rest and rest.

Have you been diagnosed by a Podiatrist? There can be so many factors and some things work for some and other things work for others. I suggest you see a doctor.

I am not a doctor, but from what you posted I suspect that gentle stretching (wall stretch) and Birkenstock heel lifts may bring relief. They are called Birkenstock FuBbett inserts.

I can relate to your post, and this is what worked for me. Good luck!

Bob G. on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017133)

Hello Bill,
From your post I conclude we have different feet, so what works for me may not work for you. I encourage you to get involved and study all the posts on this message board. Good luck!

sinead on 3/11/00 at 00:00 (017136)

Thankyou Alan K for the excersise tips, that's what I'm really needing.. I'm a relatively new PF sufferer, seeing a Chiropractor now who has taught me some good stretches, performs many more, andcracks and manipulates all of me so that I feel MUCH better leaving his office. I am stretching , soaking in hot epsom salted H20, rolling on a golf ball, picking up marbles with toes, using more vit. supplements, C, calcium (citrate), magnesium, potassium, B commmplex, glucosamine, etc. I'm off to Ireland next week, for lots of walking, wish me luck.. I'm so glad for this message board.

Versavia on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017286)

Thanks Bob,

Today I went and see a chiropractor for the first time and I am willing to go for a few sessions to see if it helps my case I hope it does.
By the way where do I get those sandals from?