Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: PF/Knee painRe:MikeW

Posted by Marti C on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017008)

HI Mike,
Thanks for your input! I, too found when I first recieved my orthotics three years ago, when I wore them all of the time I had immediate relief. The longer I wore them,my feet started hurting again, it didnt make sense but after reading what you posted, it does now. Do you think wearing them short term, just walking a mile will do the same thing/verses wearing them all day everyday? Just curious, thanks Marti

Re: PF/Knee pain

alan k on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017011)

Though it could be your orthotics, it could be any number of things. Runners without orthotics obviously also get shin splints and foot pain. Also, Pf is notorious for coming back. See a professional.

alan k

Christian on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017021)

Thanks to everyone for their input, but I just had one more question. What about if you only wear your orthotics in your athletic shoes when you run? I have never worn them at any other time.

Mike W on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017035)

Hello Jane,

It is my understanding that chondromalacia is a softening or wearing away and cracking of the cartlage under the keeecap, resulting in pain and inflammation. The cartilage becomes like sandpaper because the kneecap is not riding smoothly over the knee.

Some of the causes; excessive pronation can cause the kneecap to twist sideways, Fatigued or weak quadricep muscles, a muscle imbalance between weak quads and tighter hamstrings, Hill running, or over training.

I dislocated my kneecap playing hockey many years ago and still can feel the difference.

I monitor my kneecaps by a technique I learned at a Kinesiology course I attended a few years ago. It would be too hard to describe here but if you are interested I could dig around and find it and either mail it or fax it to you. It is easy and not time consuming.

Are you seeing a doctor and what are you doing to aide your recovery?

Is your kneecap frozen or loose compared to the other?

I would recommend massaging gently around the kneecap and find out exactly where you are sore, concentrate on that area and then ice that area for no more than 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike W
Physical Therapist, Principal, Personal Foot Trainers and former chronic PF sufferer

dktkd on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017057)

Hi guys,

I had knee problems, which ended up contributing to my PF.
I experienced muscle atrophy in the leg with the bad knee
and while trying to rehab it it put to much stress on the foot and
'PF'.
And now the PF is hindering my rehab on my knee.

But i know a lot of runners develop knee pain whether they have
pf or not. Running is just hard on the knees.
I suggest seeing an othropedic surgeon.
And insist on finding the exact reason for the knee pain.
I went through 3 doctors before finnaly getting an MRI to
diagnose my torn meniscus.

Good luck.

Re: PF/Knee pain/Mike W.

Jane B. on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017059)

Hi Mike,
Yes I have seen an ortho Doc. Actually 2. I do have somewhat weak quads. I have been doing many exercises including quad sets, SLR's (with foot externally rotated to isolate the vastus medialis), partial knee extensions, step up/down, IT band stretching(it is tight). I have also tried Russian stim while performing quad sets.
Have gone to PT in the past. That is where I had the Russian stim.
I am also a Physical Therapist Assistant. I don't have excessive pronation. My patella doesn't present to be loose or tight.
The L does however, ride slightly laterally out of the groove. I don't do any running because walking is bad enough with my pf. (I had to give up being a PTA because of PF.) Oh, my knee only hurts when I flex it too far or squat and I also have pain after sitting for periods. Yes, I am interested in any info that you think could help.
Thanks for any info. By the way, I am also taking Knox Nutrajoint gelatin. I will try anything. Ya never know. Here's my email (email removed).

alan k on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017011)

Though it could be your orthotics, it could be any number of things. Runners without orthotics obviously also get shin splints and foot pain. Also, Pf is notorious for coming back. See a professional.

alan k

Christian on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017021)

Thanks to everyone for their input, but I just had one more question. What about if you only wear your orthotics in your athletic shoes when you run? I have never worn them at any other time.

Mike W on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017035)

Hello Jane,

It is my understanding that chondromalacia is a softening or wearing away and cracking of the cartlage under the keeecap, resulting in pain and inflammation. The cartilage becomes like sandpaper because the kneecap is not riding smoothly over the knee.

Some of the causes; excessive pronation can cause the kneecap to twist sideways, Fatigued or weak quadricep muscles, a muscle imbalance between weak quads and tighter hamstrings, Hill running, or over training.

I dislocated my kneecap playing hockey many years ago and still can feel the difference.

I monitor my kneecaps by a technique I learned at a Kinesiology course I attended a few years ago. It would be too hard to describe here but if you are interested I could dig around and find it and either mail it or fax it to you. It is easy and not time consuming.

Are you seeing a doctor and what are you doing to aide your recovery?

Is your kneecap frozen or loose compared to the other?

I would recommend massaging gently around the kneecap and find out exactly where you are sore, concentrate on that area and then ice that area for no more than 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike W
Physical Therapist, Principal, Personal Foot Trainers and former chronic PF sufferer

dktkd on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017057)

Hi guys,

I had knee problems, which ended up contributing to my PF.
I experienced muscle atrophy in the leg with the bad knee
and while trying to rehab it it put to much stress on the foot and
'PF'.
And now the PF is hindering my rehab on my knee.

But i know a lot of runners develop knee pain whether they have
pf or not. Running is just hard on the knees.
I suggest seeing an othropedic surgeon.
And insist on finding the exact reason for the knee pain.
I went through 3 doctors before finnaly getting an MRI to
diagnose my torn meniscus.

Good luck.

Re: PF/Knee pain/Mike W.

Jane B. on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017059)

Hi Mike,
Yes I have seen an ortho Doc. Actually 2. I do have somewhat weak quads. I have been doing many exercises including quad sets, SLR's (with foot externally rotated to isolate the vastus medialis), partial knee extensions, step up/down, IT band stretching(it is tight). I have also tried Russian stim while performing quad sets.
Have gone to PT in the past. That is where I had the Russian stim.
I am also a Physical Therapist Assistant. I don't have excessive pronation. My patella doesn't present to be loose or tight.
The L does however, ride slightly laterally out of the groove. I don't do any running because walking is bad enough with my pf. (I had to give up being a PTA because of PF.) Oh, my knee only hurts when I flex it too far or squat and I also have pain after sitting for periods. Yes, I am interested in any info that you think could help.
Thanks for any info. By the way, I am also taking Knox Nutrajoint gelatin. I will try anything. Ya never know. Here's my email (email removed).