Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

taping for tts?

Posted by alan k on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017010)

Hi Wendy,

I'm glad things are looking slightly up for you. The fact that you are getting better is great news too. I may have had tts, or at least I did have something going on with my nerve because of tinnel's sign. I have been able to get better. That expensive exercise bike I bought before consulting anyone here I now can ride without causing tingling. I think you should definitely try foot exercises as they can, I think, help with tts related things but I might only be 10% tts/90% pf while you might be 90/10. Remember to elevate your feet after exercise because the blood flow will temporarily put some pressure on the tibial nerve. Also, you can apply ice to the tt region.

Was the tape for tts, or for your pf? or is he fishing to see what your response is and rule out or consider pf? If there is a way of taping for tts I would be interested, that is, if it is way different from the ways of taping we already know about. What was the method?

thanks,

alan k

Re: taping for tts?

wendyn on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017013)

Alan, I would suspect that doctors like to tape my feet because of the way my feet are made. They pronate quite a lot (so if you look at them from behind, my ankles seem to cave inward). When I stand my arch sort of collapses and the foot rolls inward when I walk. This is compounded on my right foot because that foot turns out.

The tape is supposed to provide some support to the arch, to keep the pressure off that inner ankle/arch area.

As far as a cause for TTS (for me), the doctor yesterday suggested that it could be something as simple as the band (flexor retinaculum) just being too tight (in which case a simple release would work great) to damage from prolonged tension and stretching of the nerve (from the way I walk - much harder to fix). He said that there will be no way to tell for sure unless they actually go in and look.

Whether or not taping would help would TTS would probably depend on whether or not there is something structural contributing to the pain. I think the biggest reason he offered to do it is because he wasn't able to do much else. Nevertheless, I had a good day yesterday and I will try taping the next time I have to be walking around more than I like to.

Picked up the Blue Birks insert - I will try it out today at the gym.

Oh - also bought some 'Wigwam' hiking socks yesterday. $14.00 canadian for one pair! They have extra padding on the bottom....I need all the padding on my feet I can get. When I paid for the insert and socks it was $50.00 Canadian...I just shook my head. I cannot believe how much money I spend on my feet! They (my feet) owe me big time.

Re: taping for tts?RE Alan

Laurie R on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017020)

Hi Alan,
When I went to my first therapist for PF she used to tape my foot,ankle for both PF and TTS.She would use the same techique that Wendy doctor did and than she would also tape my whole ankel.It did help if the tape was not to tight.Also my Podiatrist had told me when I got my orthotics that I could wear them with tape and or a ace bandage.He was telling me some people feel better having their foot so it can't move at all.This is true for me my foot feels better when I have my walking cast on with a ace bandage around my ankel to support it.I hope this can help you. best to you.Laurie R

Re: taping for tts?

wendyn on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017013)

Alan, I would suspect that doctors like to tape my feet because of the way my feet are made. They pronate quite a lot (so if you look at them from behind, my ankles seem to cave inward). When I stand my arch sort of collapses and the foot rolls inward when I walk. This is compounded on my right foot because that foot turns out.

The tape is supposed to provide some support to the arch, to keep the pressure off that inner ankle/arch area.

As far as a cause for TTS (for me), the doctor yesterday suggested that it could be something as simple as the band (flexor retinaculum) just being too tight (in which case a simple release would work great) to damage from prolonged tension and stretching of the nerve (from the way I walk - much harder to fix). He said that there will be no way to tell for sure unless they actually go in and look.

Whether or not taping would help would TTS would probably depend on whether or not there is something structural contributing to the pain. I think the biggest reason he offered to do it is because he wasn't able to do much else. Nevertheless, I had a good day yesterday and I will try taping the next time I have to be walking around more than I like to.

Picked up the Blue Birks insert - I will try it out today at the gym.

Oh - also bought some 'Wigwam' hiking socks yesterday. $14.00 canadian for one pair! They have extra padding on the bottom....I need all the padding on my feet I can get. When I paid for the insert and socks it was $50.00 Canadian...I just shook my head. I cannot believe how much money I spend on my feet! They (my feet) owe me big time.

Re: taping for tts?RE Alan

Laurie R on 3/08/00 at 00:00 (017020)

Hi Alan,
When I went to my first therapist for PF she used to tape my foot,ankle for both PF and TTS.She would use the same techique that Wendy doctor did and than she would also tape my whole ankel.It did help if the tape was not to tight.Also my Podiatrist had told me when I got my orthotics that I could wear them with tape and or a ace bandage.He was telling me some people feel better having their foot so it can't move at all.This is true for me my foot feels better when I have my walking cast on with a ace bandage around my ankel to support it.I hope this can help you. best to you.Laurie R