Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: need info on surgery

Posted by Sherman on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017053)

I'm new at this and trying to get as much info as possible. What type of surgery did you have? What was post surgery like? Were you in a cast and crutches, if so for how long? Thanks!

BJC on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017056)

Sorry, posted in the wrong spot...see response below!

Rick R on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017061)

Sherman,

I had PF relief, conventional surgery in October 1996 on my left heel. The incision was made on the inside of the heel, extending to the arch area, to avoid the contact area. The scar is 2 1/4 inches long (thank goodness no one walked in on me). The expected time was between 30 and 45 min., it took 90 min due to an unexpected degree of scar tissue. I also had a major league spur to remove in the process. I was on crutches for one month with no attempt to test the bottom of the heel with any pressure. I did massage the scar area but I don't recall at what point in time. I also stretched prior to that 1 month time but again I don't remember the exact timing. Thanksgiving day 1996 the crutches were set aside for good. The expectation was to gradually wean me off of them but I got lucky.

I am following Dan L's recovery with great interest since they went in right from the bottom of the heels.

In making your decision you may want to give some thought to one of my crazy opinions. I treated my surgery as addressing the symptom and not the cause of PF. I figured a best case scenario would be to return me to 'good as new', the heel anyway. If I were to return to doing the same things the same way why not exect the same result? This may be why some people consider surgery to be a failure. I doubt that if my intent was to become a 1960's sitcom dad and hang out in my study smoking my pipe, I would have ever given my left heel another thought. I have been able to return to running and other stupid things but I take many precautions.

Now here is the biggest lesson learned. Prior to surgery, I had minimal trouble with my right heel. I used to have to tape and take various other measures to even walk on the left side but I didn't do diddly for the right other than use the orthotic just because they come in pairs(wouldn't want to go in circles). When I was ready to attempt to run, 1 year after surgery, I took my usual precautions on the left side and assumed that the right heel could pick up where it left off. You guessed it, shazam, off goes the right heel. By applying the techniques I learned for the left heel I have been able to get the right one to a livable zone. So go throught the strengthening and stretching on both feet even if only one gets surgery. Best of luck,

Rick

Sherman on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017122)

Thanks for your input on surgery. I had my husband read it because he thinks I need to give it longer to recover on its own. I'm leaning towards surgery. I've been putting up with this for 2 years. He thinks that it has just gotten bad because I had to give up tennis 4 months ago. That was the breaking point and since I haven't played the pain has increased not decreased. My doctor has me wearing a big ugly boot for a month to see what happens, then we will discuss surgery. He says there is nothing else he can do for me. It did bother me that he has only done the surgery 5 times, 4 were successful. He is having me see another surgeon for a second opinion.
Thanks again.

BJC on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017056)

Sorry, posted in the wrong spot...see response below!

Rick R on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017061)

Sherman,

I had PF relief, conventional surgery in October 1996 on my left heel. The incision was made on the inside of the heel, extending to the arch area, to avoid the contact area. The scar is 2 1/4 inches long (thank goodness no one walked in on me). The expected time was between 30 and 45 min., it took 90 min due to an unexpected degree of scar tissue. I also had a major league spur to remove in the process. I was on crutches for one month with no attempt to test the bottom of the heel with any pressure. I did massage the scar area but I don't recall at what point in time. I also stretched prior to that 1 month time but again I don't remember the exact timing. Thanksgiving day 1996 the crutches were set aside for good. The expectation was to gradually wean me off of them but I got lucky.

I am following Dan L's recovery with great interest since they went in right from the bottom of the heels.

In making your decision you may want to give some thought to one of my crazy opinions. I treated my surgery as addressing the symptom and not the cause of PF. I figured a best case scenario would be to return me to 'good as new', the heel anyway. If I were to return to doing the same things the same way why not exect the same result? This may be why some people consider surgery to be a failure. I doubt that if my intent was to become a 1960's sitcom dad and hang out in my study smoking my pipe, I would have ever given my left heel another thought. I have been able to return to running and other stupid things but I take many precautions.

Now here is the biggest lesson learned. Prior to surgery, I had minimal trouble with my right heel. I used to have to tape and take various other measures to even walk on the left side but I didn't do diddly for the right other than use the orthotic just because they come in pairs(wouldn't want to go in circles). When I was ready to attempt to run, 1 year after surgery, I took my usual precautions on the left side and assumed that the right heel could pick up where it left off. You guessed it, shazam, off goes the right heel. By applying the techniques I learned for the left heel I have been able to get the right one to a livable zone. So go throught the strengthening and stretching on both feet even if only one gets surgery. Best of luck,

Rick

Sherman on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017122)

Thanks for your input on surgery. I had my husband read it because he thinks I need to give it longer to recover on its own. I'm leaning towards surgery. I've been putting up with this for 2 years. He thinks that it has just gotten bad because I had to give up tennis 4 months ago. That was the breaking point and since I haven't played the pain has increased not decreased. My doctor has me wearing a big ugly boot for a month to see what happens, then we will discuss surgery. He says there is nothing else he can do for me. It did bother me that he has only done the surgery 5 times, 4 were successful. He is having me see another surgeon for a second opinion.
Thanks again.