Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and exercise

Posted by Laurie B on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017095)

Does anyone know anything about using an elliptical trainer while dealing with p.f.? I have been dealing with this for 21 months and finally left my podiatrist and visited an orthopedic surgeon. He has me in different orthotics and physical therapy. Just started this new regimen a week ago so I don't know if it's helping yet. Anyway, I am so sick of not exercising and I'm wondering which would be better-an elliptical trainer or recumbent bike. Any info or sites that anyone could direct me to would be greatly appreciated.

Re: PF and exercise

Marti C on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013539)

Hi Elise,
Yes, Ive had the same problem I used to work-out everyday. Ive had PF, for three years now. Ive gained probally twenty pounds over that time. Its just really hard to find an exercise that doesnt hurt the feet. I know alot of people say to try swimming, but I would have to join the local YMCA, and with the all the money spent on my feet who can afford it. All the doctors Ive seen have told me exercise you should loose the extra weight, that will help but at the same time they are telling me to stay off my feet. Who Knows!! Ive tried stationary bike which I can do somedays, but usually after 20mins., my feet are so numb I cant even feel them anymore. That is probally from the TTS, I also have.So far all of my new shoes are helping alot. I probally didnt help much, but Im glad you brought it up it is so frustrating, not being able to get rid of the weight. Thanks. Good Luck!

Stuart B on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013543)

Hi Elise,
i know this problem and I have found a solution. I have learned to swim well and started to compete. (look at http://www.totalimmerssion.net , check spelling!) Honestly it is great cardio.

At the gym I have told the trainers of the problem and they have devised a no impact requim. One of them had been trained about PF and is a fantastic help. She said not to use the stationary bike, but use the rower to warm up. I had to give up the free weights completely.

Don't over due it now your feet are feeling a bit better.

Stuart

Elise M. on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013545)

Dear Stuart,
I live very far away from anything that resembles a YMCA so swimming in a pool is not an option (until I have mine put in the back yard). I miss running, I miss my treadmill. I try to remain positive in so far that the days I have a good walk,I thank God for that walk. The extra pounds are uncomfortable but I have to remind myself that this is only temporary. I will conquer this just like I've conquered other mountains in my life. Thanks for responding....it's nice to vent with someone who understands.
El.

Elise M. on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013546)

Dear Marti,
Thanks for responding; it's nice to share the bad with the good. I remind myself daily as I hobble to the full length mirror that this is only a temporary state and that I will conquer it. I thank God for the good days and find reasons not to get so down on myself on the others. Keep in touch and thanks again.......
El.

John V on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013548)

Since I've had to stop running I've put hundreds of miles in on a mountain bike. My foot actually feels better after a ride. Wear stiff soled biking shoes so the bottom of the foot doesn't flex.

Stuart on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013551)

You can devise a programme to do at home, ie. cruntches, press-up, tricep dips etc. There is a lot you can do, don't let PF conquer you. It is shame you live so far away from a pool. I do the madest thing because I can no longer go for country walks with my wife, I swim down rivers! It is the most fantastic thing, gliding along with swans being buzzes by damsel flies and watching the fish splash. The longest so far is 1.2miles but I am planning longer ones when the summer comes again. I hope you don,t live in the desert or near gaters and could discover this crazy thing for yourself!

No problem wih the venting, it is so frustrating. Have a good weekend.
Stuart

YokoS on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013552)

Stuart, did she mention why stationary bike is not to use for warm up?
I've never consulted trainer, and my gym doesn't have swiming pool.
As a result, I am riding a stationary bike/stair masters whichever available for every day.

Gina C on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013553)

My first episode of PF was triggered by the stairmaster; the second was a result of using the treadmill. I now swim laps - that combined with stretching in the whirlpool after is the BEST my feet will feel all day.

marsha p on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013556)

Hi I had the casting after the round of injections. Now that the cast is off I still have severe sharp pains in my heel,toes and legs. Has anyone found any exercise that helps, or theropy. I get hot and cold treatments and ultrasound but shortly after pain and swelling return.Thanks

Carol on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013559)

My podiatrist says that cycling has absolutely no impact on the PF problem, if anything it helps stretch the PF which is a good thing. And through this past spring and summer it seemed the only way I could run if I cycled first. So I would bike for 1-15 hilly miles at the local park then do a 2-3 mile run. No pain. But if I just opened the front door and went out running, I would hurt the next day. Which is what I started doing in September when it started get cooler out. That's when the worst flare up occurred. I will never run without warming up on my bike again (assuming I will be able to feel like running again!!)

Re: PF and exercise (long)

terri p on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013592)

Elise!

About 8 months after the first time I had PF, I gained about 15 pounds - that was 5 years ago. I really had not worked on losing the weight since, but when I recently had PF on the other foot, gaining/losing weight has become an issue that's been relegated....it being the holiday season. But honestly, I've started to turn down seeing some friends and family - a little embarassed about my weight gain. It's been 2 months now, and I still need to use both crutches. I've been told to ween off the crutches, I know I should, but I get this sharp pain everytime I put weight on the foot. I will be starting a heel class next week & will also be evaluated by a Podiatrist.

Before I get sidetracked.....prior to the initial PF, I was in an intensive professional ballet teacher's program, working towards my teaching certificates. After a very good 'pointe class' (class on dancing on my toes) - the bottom of my arch was in pain especially painful around the toe joint. Suddenly everything stopped due to PF.

My life had changed to a simple morning regimen (foot soaks on hot water) and re-vised exercises at the pool. They (the dance school had a full time PT staff, trained with dance & foot injuries, & an indoor pool)advised to do some swimming (for cardio), leg exercises - leg raises & some basic leg swings (so I won't lose muscle mass). Basically revised ballet class in the pool - but I also had to wear ballet shoes (cloth) for extra support on my feet (I really couldn't feel the support, but followed their advise).

On dry ground, I also started on what is called PILATES. It's a revised yoga class based on repepition and breathing exercises. We concentrated on floor exercises to condition the abdominal area. Pilates was a great help as not only tone my stomach, but the exercises were soothing & relaxing. Along with ultrasound and icing, this regimen has helped to heal me faster at the time.

Well now it's 5 years later - no resources like a PT who focused on sports med & elite athletes for help. I've decided that I will revise my own program - since my HMO does not have a sports med coverage or specialty. I've purchased a PILATES video tape from Costco (since there is no studio near me that offer it, or most gyms don't have it). I will take advantage of our community pool for the exercises and work next week with my Podiatris on some exercises.

But if anything, the best thing to keep in mind is MODIFY & concentrate on non-weight bearing exercises. I hope this would be of some help.

Terri

Viola B. on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013606)

Has anyone tried an exercise machine that looks like a combination stairmaster and cycle all-in-one? You do it standing. I call it a glider, but I have also heard people call it a transport machine. Your feet stay positioned flat on treads like a ski and you push down with your feet which causes the treads to move in a motion similar to that of a bike. I wish I could remember what it is called. Any way, I was curious as to whether or not this machine would be OK to use for people who have PF.

Libby on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013613)

I used to jog and do high and low impact aerobics but haven't been able to do any of that since this summer. I have started to do lots of floor exercises such as leg work, and abdominal. I do weights either sitting on my coffee table or some weights can be done lying down. I miss the cardiovascular exercises but I feel that my body is toning up more doing these exercises. You don't have to give all exercises up. I get a full body workout even if I'm not doing anything aerobic. Libby

Stuart B on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013645)

Something to do with to much pressure/tension on the fascia. Rowing you have your whole foot gently placed. Cycling hard standing on toes really hurts. Have a good xmas

john h on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017107)

i use a recumbent bike 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes each time. i would suggest you not exceed level 3-4 because you will put more pressure on your feet. also get your feet weel into the stirrups that attach your feet to the pedel. i do not think the bike will hurt pf nor will it help it but you can get some needed aerobic activity.

salina on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017116)

DO YOU THINK A RECUMBANT BIKE IS BETTER ON YOUR FEET THAN A REGULAR EXERCISE BIKE? I HAVE A REGULAR, AND CANT USE IT OFTEN ENOUGH BECAUSE I START FEELING PAIN IN MY ARCHES AFTERWARDS.

Susan S on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017117)

Pod told me to stay off the E-trainer because you are on your toes and stressing your PF UNLESS you are not aggressive and take it easy (and then what's the point). He suggested exactly what John is telling you about the recumbent bike.

This has been my biggest struggle with PF. I need to move!! I'll be watching for your wonderful advice and suggestions.

Sherman on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017119)

I also use the recumbent bike and have for over a year. The doctor said that is the best aerobic exercise for little or no pressure on your feet. I also do my situps and pushups and then stretch really well. I finally had to give up tennis but plan to pick it up again as soon as I get this PF healed.

Sherman on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017121)

A recumbent bike is definitely better on your feet. I worked with a personal trainer last year and she took me off everything but that. The doctor also agreed that I was doing no harm with it as long as my foot doesn't hurt and it doesn't. The one thing I do do is take off the straps on the pedals. I know it makes people mad but I don't care and my foot and toes don't tingle if I'm not using the straps.

Annette on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017160)

Hi Laurie,
I have been using the Elliptical trainer on and off for a while while suffering from PF, and it seems to be working out ok. I usually stay on it anywhere from 30 min to and hour, but my foot does tend to get sore if I really pump up the resistance and stay on it for a while, so I have learned how long and how hard I should work out in certian days for some days my foot feels better than other days. Good luck and don't stop exercising.
annette

Re: PF and exercise?? / Question for Sherman

Marti C on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017185)

Hi Sherman,
When you remove the straps on the bike you can tell a difference? My feet always tingle and go numb after about 20mins. with the recumbent bike. Do your knees ever bother you from this excercise? Just curious, thanks Marti

john a on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017200)

I would imagine that the pressure of the feet on the pedals could be made as little as desired in both a recumbent and an upright exercise bike. What probably makes the recumbent better for PF sufferers is that blood would not tend to pool in the feet as much. Hmmm, I wonder if they have 'supine' bikes, with the pedals _above_ your hips...

Sherman on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017469)

Hi, For some reason removing the straps helped get rid of the tingling in my toes. I think being able to move my foot around a little helped. My husband thinks I'm nuts. My opposite leg has only hurt a couple of times and I've been doing the bike for over a year 2-3 times a week. Dr. says to keep exercising and stretching, he doesn't believe it is doing any harm because it doesn't hurt when I'm exercising. I believe I'll be having surgery in a couple of months. I've been trying everything the past 2 years and nothing has worked only gotten worse with time.

Marti C on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013539)

Hi Elise,
Yes, Ive had the same problem I used to work-out everyday. Ive had PF, for three years now. Ive gained probally twenty pounds over that time. Its just really hard to find an exercise that doesnt hurt the feet. I know alot of people say to try swimming, but I would have to join the local YMCA, and with the all the money spent on my feet who can afford it. All the doctors Ive seen have told me exercise you should loose the extra weight, that will help but at the same time they are telling me to stay off my feet. Who Knows!! Ive tried stationary bike which I can do somedays, but usually after 20mins., my feet are so numb I cant even feel them anymore. That is probally from the TTS, I also have.So far all of my new shoes are helping alot. I probally didnt help much, but Im glad you brought it up it is so frustrating, not being able to get rid of the weight. Thanks. Good Luck!

Stuart B on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013543)

Hi Elise,
i know this problem and I have found a solution. I have learned to swim well and started to compete. (look at http://www.totalimmerssion.net , check spelling!) Honestly it is great cardio.

At the gym I have told the trainers of the problem and they have devised a no impact requim. One of them had been trained about PF and is a fantastic help. She said not to use the stationary bike, but use the rower to warm up. I had to give up the free weights completely.

Don't over due it now your feet are feeling a bit better.

Stuart

Elise M. on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013545)

Dear Stuart,
I live very far away from anything that resembles a YMCA so swimming in a pool is not an option (until I have mine put in the back yard). I miss running, I miss my treadmill. I try to remain positive in so far that the days I have a good walk,I thank God for that walk. The extra pounds are uncomfortable but I have to remind myself that this is only temporary. I will conquer this just like I've conquered other mountains in my life. Thanks for responding....it's nice to vent with someone who understands.
El.

Elise M. on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013546)

Dear Marti,
Thanks for responding; it's nice to share the bad with the good. I remind myself daily as I hobble to the full length mirror that this is only a temporary state and that I will conquer it. I thank God for the good days and find reasons not to get so down on myself on the others. Keep in touch and thanks again.......
El.

John V on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013548)

Since I've had to stop running I've put hundreds of miles in on a mountain bike. My foot actually feels better after a ride. Wear stiff soled biking shoes so the bottom of the foot doesn't flex.

Stuart on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013551)

You can devise a programme to do at home, ie. cruntches, press-up, tricep dips etc. There is a lot you can do, don't let PF conquer you. It is shame you live so far away from a pool. I do the madest thing because I can no longer go for country walks with my wife, I swim down rivers! It is the most fantastic thing, gliding along with swans being buzzes by damsel flies and watching the fish splash. The longest so far is 1.2miles but I am planning longer ones when the summer comes again. I hope you don,t live in the desert or near gaters and could discover this crazy thing for yourself!

No problem wih the venting, it is so frustrating. Have a good weekend.
Stuart

YokoS on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013552)

Stuart, did she mention why stationary bike is not to use for warm up?
I've never consulted trainer, and my gym doesn't have swiming pool.
As a result, I am riding a stationary bike/stair masters whichever available for every day.

Gina C on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013553)

My first episode of PF was triggered by the stairmaster; the second was a result of using the treadmill. I now swim laps - that combined with stretching in the whirlpool after is the BEST my feet will feel all day.

marsha p on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013556)

Hi I had the casting after the round of injections. Now that the cast is off I still have severe sharp pains in my heel,toes and legs. Has anyone found any exercise that helps, or theropy. I get hot and cold treatments and ultrasound but shortly after pain and swelling return.Thanks

Carol on 12/10/99 at 00:00 (013559)

My podiatrist says that cycling has absolutely no impact on the PF problem, if anything it helps stretch the PF which is a good thing. And through this past spring and summer it seemed the only way I could run if I cycled first. So I would bike for 1-15 hilly miles at the local park then do a 2-3 mile run. No pain. But if I just opened the front door and went out running, I would hurt the next day. Which is what I started doing in September when it started get cooler out. That's when the worst flare up occurred. I will never run without warming up on my bike again (assuming I will be able to feel like running again!!)

Re: PF and exercise (long)

terri p on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013592)

Elise!

About 8 months after the first time I had PF, I gained about 15 pounds - that was 5 years ago. I really had not worked on losing the weight since, but when I recently had PF on the other foot, gaining/losing weight has become an issue that's been relegated....it being the holiday season. But honestly, I've started to turn down seeing some friends and family - a little embarassed about my weight gain. It's been 2 months now, and I still need to use both crutches. I've been told to ween off the crutches, I know I should, but I get this sharp pain everytime I put weight on the foot. I will be starting a heel class next week & will also be evaluated by a Podiatrist.

Before I get sidetracked.....prior to the initial PF, I was in an intensive professional ballet teacher's program, working towards my teaching certificates. After a very good 'pointe class' (class on dancing on my toes) - the bottom of my arch was in pain especially painful around the toe joint. Suddenly everything stopped due to PF.

My life had changed to a simple morning regimen (foot soaks on hot water) and re-vised exercises at the pool. They (the dance school had a full time PT staff, trained with dance & foot injuries, & an indoor pool)advised to do some swimming (for cardio), leg exercises - leg raises & some basic leg swings (so I won't lose muscle mass). Basically revised ballet class in the pool - but I also had to wear ballet shoes (cloth) for extra support on my feet (I really couldn't feel the support, but followed their advise).

On dry ground, I also started on what is called PILATES. It's a revised yoga class based on repepition and breathing exercises. We concentrated on floor exercises to condition the abdominal area. Pilates was a great help as not only tone my stomach, but the exercises were soothing & relaxing. Along with ultrasound and icing, this regimen has helped to heal me faster at the time.

Well now it's 5 years later - no resources like a PT who focused on sports med & elite athletes for help. I've decided that I will revise my own program - since my HMO does not have a sports med coverage or specialty. I've purchased a PILATES video tape from Costco (since there is no studio near me that offer it, or most gyms don't have it). I will take advantage of our community pool for the exercises and work next week with my Podiatris on some exercises.

But if anything, the best thing to keep in mind is MODIFY & concentrate on non-weight bearing exercises. I hope this would be of some help.

Terri

Viola B. on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013606)

Has anyone tried an exercise machine that looks like a combination stairmaster and cycle all-in-one? You do it standing. I call it a glider, but I have also heard people call it a transport machine. Your feet stay positioned flat on treads like a ski and you push down with your feet which causes the treads to move in a motion similar to that of a bike. I wish I could remember what it is called. Any way, I was curious as to whether or not this machine would be OK to use for people who have PF.

Libby on 12/11/99 at 00:00 (013613)

I used to jog and do high and low impact aerobics but haven't been able to do any of that since this summer. I have started to do lots of floor exercises such as leg work, and abdominal. I do weights either sitting on my coffee table or some weights can be done lying down. I miss the cardiovascular exercises but I feel that my body is toning up more doing these exercises. You don't have to give all exercises up. I get a full body workout even if I'm not doing anything aerobic. Libby

Stuart B on 12/13/99 at 00:00 (013645)

Something to do with to much pressure/tension on the fascia. Rowing you have your whole foot gently placed. Cycling hard standing on toes really hurts. Have a good xmas

john h on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017107)

i use a recumbent bike 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes each time. i would suggest you not exceed level 3-4 because you will put more pressure on your feet. also get your feet weel into the stirrups that attach your feet to the pedel. i do not think the bike will hurt pf nor will it help it but you can get some needed aerobic activity.

salina on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017116)

DO YOU THINK A RECUMBANT BIKE IS BETTER ON YOUR FEET THAN A REGULAR EXERCISE BIKE? I HAVE A REGULAR, AND CANT USE IT OFTEN ENOUGH BECAUSE I START FEELING PAIN IN MY ARCHES AFTERWARDS.

Susan S on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017117)

Pod told me to stay off the E-trainer because you are on your toes and stressing your PF UNLESS you are not aggressive and take it easy (and then what's the point). He suggested exactly what John is telling you about the recumbent bike.

This has been my biggest struggle with PF. I need to move!! I'll be watching for your wonderful advice and suggestions.

Sherman on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017119)

I also use the recumbent bike and have for over a year. The doctor said that is the best aerobic exercise for little or no pressure on your feet. I also do my situps and pushups and then stretch really well. I finally had to give up tennis but plan to pick it up again as soon as I get this PF healed.

Sherman on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017121)

A recumbent bike is definitely better on your feet. I worked with a personal trainer last year and she took me off everything but that. The doctor also agreed that I was doing no harm with it as long as my foot doesn't hurt and it doesn't. The one thing I do do is take off the straps on the pedals. I know it makes people mad but I don't care and my foot and toes don't tingle if I'm not using the straps.

Annette on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017160)

Hi Laurie,
I have been using the Elliptical trainer on and off for a while while suffering from PF, and it seems to be working out ok. I usually stay on it anywhere from 30 min to and hour, but my foot does tend to get sore if I really pump up the resistance and stay on it for a while, so I have learned how long and how hard I should work out in certian days for some days my foot feels better than other days. Good luck and don't stop exercising.
annette

Marti C on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017185)

Hi Sherman,
When you remove the straps on the bike you can tell a difference? My feet always tingle and go numb after about 20mins. with the recumbent bike. Do your knees ever bother you from this excercise? Just curious, thanks Marti

john a on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017200)

I would imagine that the pressure of the feet on the pedals could be made as little as desired in both a recumbent and an upright exercise bike. What probably makes the recumbent better for PF sufferers is that blood would not tend to pool in the feet as much. Hmmm, I wonder if they have 'supine' bikes, with the pedals _above_ your hips...

Sherman on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017469)

Hi, For some reason removing the straps helped get rid of the tingling in my toes. I think being able to move my foot around a little helped. My husband thinks I'm nuts. My opposite leg has only hurt a couple of times and I've been doing the bike for over a year 2-3 times a week. Dr. says to keep exercising and stretching, he doesn't believe it is doing any harm because it doesn't hurt when I'm exercising. I believe I'll be having surgery in a couple of months. I've been trying everything the past 2 years and nothing has worked only gotten worse with time.