Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What causes hot flashes and heat in foot?

Posted by Sarah S on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017100)

Has anyone got any ideas?
Any words of encouragement or anyone offering simular experience in this, would be sincerely welcome!
Thanks

Re: What causes hot flashes and heat in foot?

wendyn on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017115)

This is the million dollar question isn't it?

I read a whole pamphlet on burning feet at my doctor's appointment - I should have taken a copy home.

It said that it's important to differentiate between feet that feel hot to you, but the foot is actually cool - and feet that feel hot and actually feel hot to someone else to touch. Can be a list of different causes for each.

I've never really received a satisfactory answer but generally I'm told that the following types of things can cause the hot feet

TTS (apparently TTS itself)
Neuropathy (Sometimes from things like diabetes or thyroid problems)
Sympathetic nervous system response (for some reason your body thinks you need increased blood flow to your feet when there's no reason for it). In rare cases this can involve a disease called RSD.
Inflammation

That's about all that come to mind - any other thoughts are more than welcome.

jfe on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017127)

could be nothing more simply than a blockage of lymph tissue that releases and allows for better perfusion....or an impingement of the nerves controlling blood flow into the foot and it's subsequent release.....both feet can be sacral problemsor diabetes ad infinatum, but a single foot may be as stated above...

Sarah S on 3/11/00 at 00:00 (017145)

Thankyou, answers very much appreciated.

wendyn on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017115)

This is the million dollar question isn't it?

I read a whole pamphlet on burning feet at my doctor's appointment - I should have taken a copy home.

It said that it's important to differentiate between feet that feel hot to you, but the foot is actually cool - and feet that feel hot and actually feel hot to someone else to touch. Can be a list of different causes for each.

I've never really received a satisfactory answer but generally I'm told that the following types of things can cause the hot feet

TTS (apparently TTS itself)
Neuropathy (Sometimes from things like diabetes or thyroid problems)
Sympathetic nervous system response (for some reason your body thinks you need increased blood flow to your feet when there's no reason for it). In rare cases this can involve a disease called RSD.
Inflammation

That's about all that come to mind - any other thoughts are more than welcome.

jfe on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017127)

could be nothing more simply than a blockage of lymph tissue that releases and allows for better perfusion....or an impingement of the nerves controlling blood flow into the foot and it's subsequent release.....both feet can be sacral problemsor diabetes ad infinatum, but a single foot may be as stated above...

Sarah S on 3/11/00 at 00:00 (017145)

Thankyou, answers very much appreciated.