Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Rick, about my pain...

Posted by Kim B. on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017103)

That's one of the bad things about having Fibromyalgia, FM. Once you are labeled with that, everything you complain to a doc about get's blamed on that 'catch all diagnosis'.

So yes, at first it was just the morning pain that subsided as I walked about a bit. And it was considered a symptom of FM. As a matter of fact, morning feet pain is seriouly considered one of the many symptoms of FM. After all, FM is a muscle and tendon illness so I guess it makes sense.

It wasn't until I after I had the the distinct spur like pain in the heel area for about seven months that I finally went back to my Orthopedist and said 'Hey, something else is going on here!' He took X-rays and diagnosed me with PF. The spurs are quite small btw.

Now, all my foot pain is blamed on PF/heel spurs. The conservative treatments aren't working, and the pain is getting worse. I'm trying to figure out if, althouth I have PF with heel spurs, could I have a co-exhisting condition of TTS that is being over looked. Doc saw the heel sprus and stopped there. I guess at this point I have to push for testing to have the TTS possibility ruled out. Which is the last thing I need on my plate right now.

But I was hoping that all this could be blamed on the heel spurs/PF alone. In a nut shell, I can't figure out if the pain is coming up from my PF, or shooting down through the TTS, or both.

As a side note: Tonight on 20/20 they are having a segment on how a new revolutionary surgical procedure is helping and curing some people diagnosed with FM and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). It's actually 'Chari Malformation' surgery. Anyway, if I end up needing this surgery, do you think I could get them to unpinch the nerves in my ankles and remove the spurs while I'm having the back of my scull opened up? Probably not.

Regards, Kim B.
a real mess

Rick R on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017108)

Kim,

What a difference in our doctors! My guy looked at my peninsular protrusions and and rather than stop and say well that does it, he went off on a hunt for the mystery cause. He (orthopedic)indicated that he sees lots of patients with significant spurs that don't even know they have them until they get x-rays for other reasons; so why were they such a problem for me? I couldn't get my dr to address the stinking spurs (still only 50% there) and forget about the mystery. Since I had lots of other body parts that hurt he searched for a systemic solution which I respect him for. I don't think that the number of messed up body parts is inconsistent with the abuse that I have put myself through. Now that may be the issue. If we don't fit the typical patterns that are the input in their personal memory database, the typical approach just isn't going to work. Somehow your doctor seems to want to force you to fit a preconcieved pattern. My dr seemed to recognize that I didn't fit but he didn't know what to do about it.

Have you considered the do-it-yourself trepaning rout? Geez i saw some goofballs on the tube that drilled their own gourds. And I thought I was nuts! I tried to get the big V done while I was out for the PF thing but that was out of the question. The only way two drs from unrelated practices will coordinate schedules is for golf. You don't want your skull opened up on the golf course but if you do, stay the heck away from the greens.

Rick R on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017108)

Kim,

What a difference in our doctors! My guy looked at my peninsular protrusions and and rather than stop and say well that does it, he went off on a hunt for the mystery cause. He (orthopedic)indicated that he sees lots of patients with significant spurs that don't even know they have them until they get x-rays for other reasons; so why were they such a problem for me? I couldn't get my dr to address the stinking spurs (still only 50% there) and forget about the mystery. Since I had lots of other body parts that hurt he searched for a systemic solution which I respect him for. I don't think that the number of messed up body parts is inconsistent with the abuse that I have put myself through. Now that may be the issue. If we don't fit the typical patterns that are the input in their personal memory database, the typical approach just isn't going to work. Somehow your doctor seems to want to force you to fit a preconcieved pattern. My dr seemed to recognize that I didn't fit but he didn't know what to do about it.

Have you considered the do-it-yourself trepaning rout? Geez i saw some goofballs on the tube that drilled their own gourds. And I thought I was nuts! I tried to get the big V done while I was out for the PF thing but that was out of the question. The only way two drs from unrelated practices will coordinate schedules is for golf. You don't want your skull opened up on the golf course but if you do, stay the heck away from the greens.