Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What Happened? I was doing so well...

Posted by BarbaraJ on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017109)

After dealing with pf for the last 3-4 years or so I have had it pretty much under control. Yesterday as I was leaving for work I felt a 'snap' or 'pop' which sent a pain into the achilles area. After that subsdied I was left with an extremely sore heel and limped around all day on my toes. When I got home last night I iced and elevated but was awake most of the night in pain. I iced this morning again and limped off to work. My heel is swollen and painful and now (probably from walking on my toes) the pain on the top of my arch is excruciating. I am sitting here at work unable to walk at all. If anybody knows what happened, please fill me in. I am off to an emergency dr. appt. to see what he says at 1:00 p.m. today but just thought someone out there must have had this happen. Thanks for any info. BarbaraJ

Re: What Happened? I was doing so well...Re

Laurie R on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017113)

Hi Barbara,
I am so sorry this has happened to you.I am also sorry I can't help you but please let us know what the doctors has to say.Best to you.Laurie R

Re: What Happened? I was doing so well...

salina on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017114)

hi Barbara,
hate to hear you are in so much pain after doing so well.
But there is hope. I have read several posts from people like you that had just ablout mastered the PF thing, then had a setback. They were so depressed, but they later posted to tell that the setback didn't last nearly as long as they had at first anticipated.
Maybe this wil be the case with you. Your body will heal from this quickly if you are able to get medical treatment early on. You are aware that you can't push these things. Glad to hear you are going to the doctor, and let us know how things are going for you. Best wishes to you.

alan k on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017129)

Sounds like a ruptured achilles, judging from the notorious 'pop.' There are effective treatments for this, including surgery in some cases though I don't know at what point that becomes the only option. Always get a second opinion. Pf could actually be worse in some cases than an achilles rupture. So hang in there, you know from experience that it could be worse.

Calf flexibility and versatility is necessary to ward off achilles ruptures, but of course at this point you should not do any stretching until you have consulted a medical professional.

Keep us in touch...

alan k

john h on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017131)

something happened to achilles tendon. i would trade my pf for that anyday even if surgery was required.

Re: What Happened? I was doing so well...Re Barbara

Laurie R on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017132)

Hi Barbara,

Did you get to the doctors today?If you are not in to much pain please let us know what the doc said...P.S.I hope you are ok.Laurie R

Re: What Happened? I was doing so well...Re

Laurie R on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017113)

Hi Barbara,
I am so sorry this has happened to you.I am also sorry I can't help you but please let us know what the doctors has to say.Best to you.Laurie R

salina on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017114)

hi Barbara,
hate to hear you are in so much pain after doing so well.
But there is hope. I have read several posts from people like you that had just ablout mastered the PF thing, then had a setback. They were so depressed, but they later posted to tell that the setback didn't last nearly as long as they had at first anticipated.
Maybe this wil be the case with you. Your body will heal from this quickly if you are able to get medical treatment early on. You are aware that you can't push these things. Glad to hear you are going to the doctor, and let us know how things are going for you. Best wishes to you.

alan k on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017129)

Sounds like a ruptured achilles, judging from the notorious 'pop.' There are effective treatments for this, including surgery in some cases though I don't know at what point that becomes the only option. Always get a second opinion. Pf could actually be worse in some cases than an achilles rupture. So hang in there, you know from experience that it could be worse.

Calf flexibility and versatility is necessary to ward off achilles ruptures, but of course at this point you should not do any stretching until you have consulted a medical professional.

Keep us in touch...

alan k

john h on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017131)

something happened to achilles tendon. i would trade my pf for that anyday even if surgery was required.

Re: What Happened? I was doing so well...Re Barbara

Laurie R on 3/10/00 at 00:00 (017132)

Hi Barbara,

Did you get to the doctors today?If you are not in to much pain please let us know what the doc said...P.S.I hope you are ok.Laurie R