Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock inserts

Posted by Terrie on 3/11/00 at 00:00 (017140)

Hi,
I have been an avid reader of this board and have posted a few times. There has been some wonderful advice and also success stories. As of yet I am not a success story. Have had this 'curse' for about 3 years. Been to a podiatrist for almost a year, who did everything she could think of. I even got a second opinion from another Pod who agreed with her. My next step is SURGERY. I still am not sure about the surgery, but some days wish I could do it myself!!! Has anyone used the Birkenstock inserts and had success. Please advise.
Terrie

Re: Birkenstock Arch Supports-To Jenny

Nancy T. on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013447)

Thanks for your reply. I am very happy with these so far.... and am beginning not to notice them so much. I shall stick with them...as they have decreased my pain level considerably.

Re: Birkenstock Arch Supports-To John

Nancy T. on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013487)

Thanks for replying, John. Do you have the Birk 'Blue' arch supports?
Also, did they seem to bring the level of pain down any?

john h on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013513)

i wear the blue (half length) birk supports sometimes depending on what shoe i wear. i cannot say they help or not as i do not stick to them long enough to make an adequate evaluation.

Re: Birkenstock inserts

wendyn on 3/11/00 at 00:00 (017147)

I have just started using the blue insert at the gym as recommended by my doctor. I can tolerate it somewhat better than my orthotics.

Are you wearing Birk sandals? I would try those first. Chances are that if you can't wear the sandals, you may not like the inserts either.

I don't know if anyone really finds a 'cure' from Birk inserts - but sometimes it can make the foot much more comfortable.

Hope you find something that works!

Bob G. on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017156)

I have been wearing Birkenstock heel lifts for about 7 or 8 years. They are probably my most taken-for-granted 'foot soldiers' in my war against PF - but they make walking possible for me.

I take it most people think of Birkenstocks as footwear with great arch supports - that's fine for most people, but I don't require arch supports. I do require a heel lift, and my Birkenstock heel lifts are far more valuable to me than the $35 I bought them for years ago.

My feet are pretty normal, I injured them by jogging barefoot (for over 25 years!) and I am hopeful of them healing with proper rest, exercise, gentle stretching, night splint, s/sock (sorry if I wander) and of course, my 'priceless' Birkenstock heel lifts.

I always wear my Birkenstock heel lifts, even inside my spint at night for comfort. I wore them inside my New Balance 877s this evening and took a brisk beach walk for about 1/4 mile - so far so good!

I am dancing the Polka in my dreams! Good luck and feel better!

sinead on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017164)

Bob, Where can I find the birkenstock heel lifts? I'd love to try them, are they soft, with an arch?

salina on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017166)

Hi Bob,
Got a question of sorts for you. You said you 'require' a heel lift instead of arch support. Is there a certain way you came to know this, or is this just your opinion?
Wondering because I am confused about the whole insert business. My pod made these arch inserts for me, they are extremely hard, which may not have been a problem, but they are also too big in the arch. I think its because the guy had my prop my foot up while he made all the measurements. Obviously, all this would change once I put my foot down and added weight bearing. I tried repeatedly to make myself wear them, but just cant do it, they are so huge my feet literally rock on them. Ridiculous. Going back next week to tell them they are not right fit.
The thing is, right now I am just wearing my regular walking Reeboks with hardly any arch in them (scary!). But I bought just some simple little Dr. Scholl's heel pads. They are sort of smaller and cushioning so I don't know just how much of a lift I actually got from them. I wore them for several days, and seemed to feel slightly more comfortable. But got scared and took them out.
I am asking because it seems like you have determined for yourself that you definately do better with the heel lifts instead of the whole arch business.
And, also, do the birkenstock heel lifts give cushion or are they hard, and do they actually give you a sizable lift or what?
And what was it that made you decide to go with heel lifts?
And what kind of pain do you have, just in the heel, or all over, after standing for awhile, or just upon initial steps?
Sorry for all the questions. But please answer if you can. Thanks.

Bob G. on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017167)

Hello, Sinead!

My doctor recommended these and told me where to buy them over the counter - which was a fine shoe store. Here's a web address found off this site:

http://www.shoetree.com/results.html

and here's what they look like:

http://heelspurs.com/a/birk/insert.jpg

Good luck and enjoy! They take a day or two to get used to, but after that you can't live without them, they are sooo comfortable...I went for a long walk on the beach this morning with no pain using them. (When I got home I gently stretched, then iced for 8 minutes.)

Bob G. on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017168)

Hello Salina,

I just now figured out that what I call heel lifts, Birkenstock calls arch supports. They seem like heel lifts to me, and I used to add Dr. School's arch supports in combination, but no more now that I am on the mend.

They are not soft, but your soft heel cusions won't hurt, I don't think. I have always thought of mine as heel lifts (they seem more like heel lifts than arch supports) but I may have to start calling them Birkenstock arch supports which seem like heel lifts. They are not soft, they have lasted 8 years, very durable, very comfortable.

This was recommended to me by a competent foot doctor 8 years ago.

My pain came back last July (too much barefootin') and it got me first thing out of bed and sometimes lasted all day. It made me limp and avoid all activity. I have been resting it for 9 months and sticking to my program. Now I am walking longer and longer distances with no pain.

Good luck! Bob Gayle

Re: Birkenstock inserts are "arch supports" with heel cups...

dang dave on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017171)

I have 'em too and they didn't fit comfortably as there is Too much hard cushioning under the front of the inserts which makes an annoying hump before the arch...

I got some better custom arches, but I did finally try to rectify the Birkenstocks with a stationary belt sander and removed much of the brown stuff (beneigth the blue cover) at the front of the arch support area... and they feel much better (as recommended by a Birkenstock rep or salesperson (he seemed) here on this forum... earlier a few weeks ago). But Still not as good as my custom inserts as there isn't enough 'heel lift' on the Birks in

Pat on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017175)

Salina, do you have very flat feet? I do and in my case any
type of arch support hurt my feet worse, because my flat arch presses
against the bumps making my feet extremely uncomfortable. So, you may be like me and require flat shoes? Something to think about.

salina on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017194)

Thank you Bob, for answering my questions. At least you have had the luxury of finding some inserts that work for you for so long. You should be very happy about that. I read all kinds of posts from others who are going through orthotics and inserts like underwear. I am afraid I may be the underwear kind of person if I keep going like this. Hope not.
Glad to hear you are healing and feeling much better. Thanks

salina on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017198)

Thanks dang dave, i will keep trying til I get something to work.
Curious as to how well you are doing right now. Are you pretty much pain free at this point? And, do you do any exercises to strengthen your feet? Is there any certain thing you do that seems to help you get better?

Re: Birkenstock Inserts

Bob G. on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017566)

Birkenstock inserts work well for me. Just goes to show that one has to be active in searching for the right combination of 'pieces to the PF puzzle'. I love my Birk inserts.

Diane F. on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017682)

Love my birks inserts too. I put them on top of my hiking boot insert, and it works like a charm. But still love my birks sandals best, have falling in love with the florida, which has 3 straps instead of 2 and seems to fit my feet great. Wear the waterproof ones like the barbados ( hoping to buy another florida and try the todago) in the house and hope to use them in the rain in summer. Not all the birks fit the same and one that does not for you does not mean another won't , but still might not work for some, only can try. The birkenstock central webstite has great sale sandals and shoes, great way to try and not spend too much :).
Guess we just have to keep trying till we find what works for us.

Re: Birkenstock Arch Supports-To Jenny

Nancy T. on 12/07/99 at 00:00 (013447)

Thanks for your reply. I am very happy with these so far.... and am beginning not to notice them so much. I shall stick with them...as they have decreased my pain level considerably.

Nancy T. on 12/08/99 at 00:00 (013487)

Thanks for replying, John. Do you have the Birk 'Blue' arch supports?
Also, did they seem to bring the level of pain down any?

john h on 12/09/99 at 00:00 (013513)

i wear the blue (half length) birk supports sometimes depending on what shoe i wear. i cannot say they help or not as i do not stick to them long enough to make an adequate evaluation.

wendyn on 3/11/00 at 00:00 (017147)

I have just started using the blue insert at the gym as recommended by my doctor. I can tolerate it somewhat better than my orthotics.

Are you wearing Birk sandals? I would try those first. Chances are that if you can't wear the sandals, you may not like the inserts either.

I don't know if anyone really finds a 'cure' from Birk inserts - but sometimes it can make the foot much more comfortable.

Hope you find something that works!

Bob G. on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017156)

I have been wearing Birkenstock heel lifts for about 7 or 8 years. They are probably my most taken-for-granted 'foot soldiers' in my war against PF - but they make walking possible for me.

I take it most people think of Birkenstocks as footwear with great arch supports - that's fine for most people, but I don't require arch supports. I do require a heel lift, and my Birkenstock heel lifts are far more valuable to me than the $35 I bought them for years ago.

My feet are pretty normal, I injured them by jogging barefoot (for over 25 years!) and I am hopeful of them healing with proper rest, exercise, gentle stretching, night splint, s/sock (sorry if I wander) and of course, my 'priceless' Birkenstock heel lifts.

I always wear my Birkenstock heel lifts, even inside my spint at night for comfort. I wore them inside my New Balance 877s this evening and took a brisk beach walk for about 1/4 mile - so far so good!

I am dancing the Polka in my dreams! Good luck and feel better!

sinead on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017164)

Bob, Where can I find the birkenstock heel lifts? I'd love to try them, are they soft, with an arch?

salina on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017166)

Hi Bob,
Got a question of sorts for you. You said you 'require' a heel lift instead of arch support. Is there a certain way you came to know this, or is this just your opinion?
Wondering because I am confused about the whole insert business. My pod made these arch inserts for me, they are extremely hard, which may not have been a problem, but they are also too big in the arch. I think its because the guy had my prop my foot up while he made all the measurements. Obviously, all this would change once I put my foot down and added weight bearing. I tried repeatedly to make myself wear them, but just cant do it, they are so huge my feet literally rock on them. Ridiculous. Going back next week to tell them they are not right fit.
The thing is, right now I am just wearing my regular walking Reeboks with hardly any arch in them (scary!). But I bought just some simple little Dr. Scholl's heel pads. They are sort of smaller and cushioning so I don't know just how much of a lift I actually got from them. I wore them for several days, and seemed to feel slightly more comfortable. But got scared and took them out.
I am asking because it seems like you have determined for yourself that you definately do better with the heel lifts instead of the whole arch business.
And, also, do the birkenstock heel lifts give cushion or are they hard, and do they actually give you a sizable lift or what?
And what was it that made you decide to go with heel lifts?
And what kind of pain do you have, just in the heel, or all over, after standing for awhile, or just upon initial steps?
Sorry for all the questions. But please answer if you can. Thanks.

Bob G. on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017167)

Hello, Sinead!

My doctor recommended these and told me where to buy them over the counter - which was a fine shoe store. Here's a web address found off this site:

http://www.shoetree.com/results.html

and here's what they look like:

http://heelspurs.com/a/birk/insert.jpg

Good luck and enjoy! They take a day or two to get used to, but after that you can't live without them, they are sooo comfortable...I went for a long walk on the beach this morning with no pain using them. (When I got home I gently stretched, then iced for 8 minutes.)

Bob G. on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017168)

Hello Salina,

I just now figured out that what I call heel lifts, Birkenstock calls arch supports. They seem like heel lifts to me, and I used to add Dr. School's arch supports in combination, but no more now that I am on the mend.

They are not soft, but your soft heel cusions won't hurt, I don't think. I have always thought of mine as heel lifts (they seem more like heel lifts than arch supports) but I may have to start calling them Birkenstock arch supports which seem like heel lifts. They are not soft, they have lasted 8 years, very durable, very comfortable.

This was recommended to me by a competent foot doctor 8 years ago.

My pain came back last July (too much barefootin') and it got me first thing out of bed and sometimes lasted all day. It made me limp and avoid all activity. I have been resting it for 9 months and sticking to my program. Now I am walking longer and longer distances with no pain.

Good luck! Bob Gayle

dang dave on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017171)

I have 'em too and they didn't fit comfortably as there is Too much hard cushioning under the front of the inserts which makes an annoying hump before the arch...

I got some better custom arches, but I did finally try to rectify the Birkenstocks with a stationary belt sander and removed much of the brown stuff (beneigth the blue cover) at the front of the arch support area... and they feel much better (as recommended by a Birkenstock rep or salesperson (he seemed) here on this forum... earlier a few weeks ago). But Still not as good as my custom inserts as there isn't enough 'heel lift' on the Birks in

Pat on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017175)

Salina, do you have very flat feet? I do and in my case any
type of arch support hurt my feet worse, because my flat arch presses
against the bumps making my feet extremely uncomfortable. So, you may be like me and require flat shoes? Something to think about.

salina on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017194)

Thank you Bob, for answering my questions. At least you have had the luxury of finding some inserts that work for you for so long. You should be very happy about that. I read all kinds of posts from others who are going through orthotics and inserts like underwear. I am afraid I may be the underwear kind of person if I keep going like this. Hope not.
Glad to hear you are healing and feeling much better. Thanks

salina on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017198)

Thanks dang dave, i will keep trying til I get something to work.
Curious as to how well you are doing right now. Are you pretty much pain free at this point? And, do you do any exercises to strengthen your feet? Is there any certain thing you do that seems to help you get better?

Bob G. on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017566)

Birkenstock inserts work well for me. Just goes to show that one has to be active in searching for the right combination of 'pieces to the PF puzzle'. I love my Birk inserts.

Diane F. on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017682)

Love my birks inserts too. I put them on top of my hiking boot insert, and it works like a charm. But still love my birks sandals best, have falling in love with the florida, which has 3 straps instead of 2 and seems to fit my feet great. Wear the waterproof ones like the barbados ( hoping to buy another florida and try the todago) in the house and hope to use them in the rain in summer. Not all the birks fit the same and one that does not for you does not mean another won't , but still might not work for some, only can try. The birkenstock central webstite has great sale sandals and shoes, great way to try and not spend too much :).
Guess we just have to keep trying till we find what works for us.