Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF strikes heavy people....

Posted by Pat on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017176)

more than thin people? I'm curious to know, because I heard a
nurse last week say that overweight people tend to have chronic PF,
that the heavy weight is what puts stress on the feet causing PF?
For myself, I'm thin as a rail. (my squatty bulldog literally weighs
more than me!)and I have been plagued with stuff for ever it seems.
If weight is what causes this, why am I not over it!!

Re: PF strikes heavy people....

wendyn on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017178)

Being overweight can be a contributing factor to PF and other foot problems (including TTS), although it doesn't 'cause' it. There are lots of overweight people who don't have any foot problems - and lots of us that have problems are normal weight.

Those of us that don't have a weight problem need to be thankful - having foot problems makes it much harder for most people to achieve and maintain a normal weight.

Bill on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017181)

I'm 34 years old, 6 foot and 160 pounds with PF in both feet. Have had it over two years now. I don't think weight has anything to do with my PF. I'm sure extra weight doesn't help though.
Take care.

Re: PF strikes heavy people.... Reply

Elise M. on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017182)

Hi all,
Obesity, be it mild or severe is very misunderstood by society. Can a 'fat' person be healthy? ABSOLUTELY!!! There are certain health risks associated with being heavy, just as there are certain health risks with any other anomaly. I've been heavy all my life, but I've always been healthy. Case in point, I was in having an Ultrasound to determine if the fetus I was carrying was viable. When they went looking for the fetus' heartbeat, the student ultrasonographer found the dying fetus' heartrate at 86 and mistakenly documented it for mine. When I corrected her and told her that it was probably the fetus' heartbeat, she took my pulse and found my heartrate to be around 46 (I was a healthy runner at the time, before PF) In the dressing room, I overheard her ask the teacher 'How could that woman have a heartrate of 46, she's fat'. Besides suffering the devastation of losing a baby, I was insulted by being called 'fat'. I waited, trying to regain my composure, and listened for the teachers answer. I was so happy to hear the teacher tell her that being overweight does not mean being unhealthy. He went on to explain that if I were to walk into a room at the same time a thin woman walked in, most people would think I was the unhealthy one despite the fact that the thin woman was a smoker and didn't ascribe to a healthy lifestyle. He then told her that my 46 heartrate indicated that I was into health and wellbeing (He knew me and my history pretty well, knew I ran and lifted weights religiously). Thankfully, his reply was educating for her and calmed me down so that I didn't have to correct her myself.
I haven't figured out what caused my PF, but I do know that I've gained weight not being able to run anymore (sad sigh) But, I purchased an airbike for myself, still lift weights and do my floor exercises, eat what I can tolerate (I've developed IBD since my bout with PF) but I remain undaunted. I tell myself daily I will be healthy and I will run again someday, but in the meantime I just try to stay happy, healthier and focused. Be well.............Elise

Hank C. on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017183)

Pat,
And here I was thinking plantar fasciitis was directly related to
my baldness.
Hank

YokoS on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017192)

I agree with you..........but
On the way from supermarket w/20 lbs of groceries, extra weight
strikes directly to my heel. I am overweight even without groceries!!

Mike W on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017195)

Hello Pat,

Wendy is right, being overweight is one of many contributing factors that cause the symptoms of PF.

The underlying physiological cause of PF no matter how much one weighs is weak, short or tight (inelastic) lower leg muscles and their related tendons that either attach to or pass through/around the heel or toe bones.

PF causes a catch 22 situation for many because PF restricts the ability to exercise, so instead of managing your weight through exercise, many gain weight which adds to the problem.

Another reason why it is important to address the underlying cause is because improving the strength and flexibility of LL muscles improves their ability to handle more stress caused by extra weight.

If you want to stay fit this means you have to find alternative less stressful activities until you have healed. ie. Biking, walking, swimming, blading.

Regards,

Mike W
Physical Therapist, Principal Personal Foot Trainers and former chronic sufferer of PF. http://www.heelspurs.com/a/pft

salina on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017199)

Good for you Elise!! You have just motivated me so much. I have been moping around depressed about this PF and telling myself I can't do any kind of exercise. I have been sitting on my duff doing absolutely nothing, like miraculously my PF is going to go away overnight, and I am going to be back to normal. But at this rate, I will be so unhealthy by the time this is over. Especially the way I have been handling it. I have been eating even more unhealthy foods because they are quick to make, totally ignoring my abdominal routine, moving dumbbells around only when I clean, and basically telling myself I can't do any better. But I know I can.
Sorry you fell victim to such nasty and ignorant remarks.
But I am sure a lot of people will get some good out of your post. I know I did. Thanks for sharing your story.

Martha G on 3/17/00 at 00:00 (017450)

I've always battled weight gain (the most being 20 pounds). While ten pounds overweight and 38 and trying to lose, I got pregnant. I had the child, didn't lose all the weight, got even older, gained even more. Started a walking program in spring 1998. I walked off 35 pounds with 15 to go. Gained heel pain. Told my brother who lives across the country, the once 90-pound weakling who finally figured out he had to lift weights to gain weight. He is mostly muscle but still slim. He's had heel pain for a few years now (he's two years older, 47). He told me our oldest brother also has heel pain. Oldest has always been slim but has been a jogger/runner for years.

I think weight aggravates it, whether it is the weight your body carries or the weight you place on the feet by bearing down. Looks like it runs in families, too.

I'm now trying to work out a way to lose weight (I have to do it mostly by sweating and limiting myself to nutrition-dense foods; I won't try fads or starving, at my age). Can't afford a gym or much time, so I guess it will be very slow-going.

The pain is only in my right foot, and only noticeable if I'm not careful. I stretch my legs/feet when I can, even while driving (my left foot against the side of the area under the wheel).

I'm open to exercise suggestions. I have a cardio-glide machine which isn't too comfortable, and a set of 1/2/5 lb dumbbells, and my carpetted floors. Thanks.

wendyn on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017178)

Being overweight can be a contributing factor to PF and other foot problems (including TTS), although it doesn't 'cause' it. There are lots of overweight people who don't have any foot problems - and lots of us that have problems are normal weight.

Those of us that don't have a weight problem need to be thankful - having foot problems makes it much harder for most people to achieve and maintain a normal weight.

Bill on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017181)

I'm 34 years old, 6 foot and 160 pounds with PF in both feet. Have had it over two years now. I don't think weight has anything to do with my PF. I'm sure extra weight doesn't help though.
Take care.

Elise M. on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017182)

Hi all,
Obesity, be it mild or severe is very misunderstood by society. Can a 'fat' person be healthy? ABSOLUTELY!!! There are certain health risks associated with being heavy, just as there are certain health risks with any other anomaly. I've been heavy all my life, but I've always been healthy. Case in point, I was in having an Ultrasound to determine if the fetus I was carrying was viable. When they went looking for the fetus' heartbeat, the student ultrasonographer found the dying fetus' heartrate at 86 and mistakenly documented it for mine. When I corrected her and told her that it was probably the fetus' heartbeat, she took my pulse and found my heartrate to be around 46 (I was a healthy runner at the time, before PF) In the dressing room, I overheard her ask the teacher 'How could that woman have a heartrate of 46, she's fat'. Besides suffering the devastation of losing a baby, I was insulted by being called 'fat'. I waited, trying to regain my composure, and listened for the teachers answer. I was so happy to hear the teacher tell her that being overweight does not mean being unhealthy. He went on to explain that if I were to walk into a room at the same time a thin woman walked in, most people would think I was the unhealthy one despite the fact that the thin woman was a smoker and didn't ascribe to a healthy lifestyle. He then told her that my 46 heartrate indicated that I was into health and wellbeing (He knew me and my history pretty well, knew I ran and lifted weights religiously). Thankfully, his reply was educating for her and calmed me down so that I didn't have to correct her myself.
I haven't figured out what caused my PF, but I do know that I've gained weight not being able to run anymore (sad sigh) But, I purchased an airbike for myself, still lift weights and do my floor exercises, eat what I can tolerate (I've developed IBD since my bout with PF) but I remain undaunted. I tell myself daily I will be healthy and I will run again someday, but in the meantime I just try to stay happy, healthier and focused. Be well.............Elise

Hank C. on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017183)

Pat,
And here I was thinking plantar fasciitis was directly related to
my baldness.
Hank

YokoS on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017192)

I agree with you..........but
On the way from supermarket w/20 lbs of groceries, extra weight
strikes directly to my heel. I am overweight even without groceries!!

Mike W on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017195)

Hello Pat,

Wendy is right, being overweight is one of many contributing factors that cause the symptoms of PF.

The underlying physiological cause of PF no matter how much one weighs is weak, short or tight (inelastic) lower leg muscles and their related tendons that either attach to or pass through/around the heel or toe bones.

PF causes a catch 22 situation for many because PF restricts the ability to exercise, so instead of managing your weight through exercise, many gain weight which adds to the problem.

Another reason why it is important to address the underlying cause is because improving the strength and flexibility of LL muscles improves their ability to handle more stress caused by extra weight.

If you want to stay fit this means you have to find alternative less stressful activities until you have healed. ie. Biking, walking, swimming, blading.

Regards,

Mike W
Physical Therapist, Principal Personal Foot Trainers and former chronic sufferer of PF. http://www.heelspurs.com/a/pft

salina on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017199)

Good for you Elise!! You have just motivated me so much. I have been moping around depressed about this PF and telling myself I can't do any kind of exercise. I have been sitting on my duff doing absolutely nothing, like miraculously my PF is going to go away overnight, and I am going to be back to normal. But at this rate, I will be so unhealthy by the time this is over. Especially the way I have been handling it. I have been eating even more unhealthy foods because they are quick to make, totally ignoring my abdominal routine, moving dumbbells around only when I clean, and basically telling myself I can't do any better. But I know I can.
Sorry you fell victim to such nasty and ignorant remarks.
But I am sure a lot of people will get some good out of your post. I know I did. Thanks for sharing your story.

Martha G on 3/17/00 at 00:00 (017450)

I've always battled weight gain (the most being 20 pounds). While ten pounds overweight and 38 and trying to lose, I got pregnant. I had the child, didn't lose all the weight, got even older, gained even more. Started a walking program in spring 1998. I walked off 35 pounds with 15 to go. Gained heel pain. Told my brother who lives across the country, the once 90-pound weakling who finally figured out he had to lift weights to gain weight. He is mostly muscle but still slim. He's had heel pain for a few years now (he's two years older, 47). He told me our oldest brother also has heel pain. Oldest has always been slim but has been a jogger/runner for years.

I think weight aggravates it, whether it is the weight your body carries or the weight you place on the feet by bearing down. Looks like it runs in families, too.

I'm now trying to work out a way to lose weight (I have to do it mostly by sweating and limiting myself to nutrition-dense foods; I won't try fads or starving, at my age). Can't afford a gym or much time, so I guess it will be very slow-going.

The pain is only in my right foot, and only noticeable if I'm not careful. I stretch my legs/feet when I can, even while driving (my left foot against the side of the area under the wheel).

I'm open to exercise suggestions. I have a cardio-glide machine which isn't too comfortable, and a set of 1/2/5 lb dumbbells, and my carpetted floors. Thanks.