Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What Does Chiropractor Do?

Posted by salina on 3/13/00 at 00:00 (017201)

Hi Sinead, I have had this for about a little over three months. For the past several weeks, I have managed to only stand up for a few minutes at a time. Unfortunately this has been accomplished by having absolutely no life to speak of. But I am telling myself the more I rest now, the more I can play later. First two months, my feet, especially right one, were red and inflamed so bad. I did not even want to touch my feet at all. They hurt so bad, I had to hang my feet off the bed at night because even the mattress hurt, even propping them up on a pillow was too much. It was crazy. I didn't massage or anything, just iced and occasionally stretched and I didn't do that right either because I think I hurt my feet trying to stretch. But for the last few weeks, the inflammation has been lessening. I used to hate to even take my shoes off at the end of the day because I knew I was in for swollen, red, inflamed feet. But I have been pleasantly surprised lately. Don't get me wrong, my feet are still killing me. But I am hoping that as long as I keep being careful not to overdo it during the day, I can avoid those charcoal episodes. I hope I am not just dreaming. The icing has always helped when I got like that. Til I had to get up again
of course. I have started massaging since then and it seems to help at the stage I am at right now. But I think it would have been ridiculous for me to try it earlier.
I am curious as to what the chiropractor does for you. Do you go for just your feet, or your back also? I went to a chiropractor several years ago for my back. About three months total, then ran out of money, insurance did not cover it, long story. But it helped my back problem. It was wonderful. Now I am also getting the same problem again, along with the PF. I have been wondering if I should go back and if it could also help my feet in any way at all, it would be worth it.

Re: What Does Chiropractor Do?

sinead on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017243)

Hello Salina, the chiropractor that I'm seeing has been here to this website, I'm encouraging him to log on... Are you there Jerry? He is helping me. Yesterday I saw him and he suggested that the real problem is my knee and hip, both on the right side, I have a curvature of the spine, and my hips/ pelvis are twisted or 'torqed out' some also. He believes that it's important for there to be 'complimentary' treatment of PF, massage, stretching, adjustment of the foot so that the bones in the foot, as elsewhere are articulating properly, as he found mine were not, and adding to (or causing?) the problem. He should speak to this himself.. He has shown me some good stretches, including one I can teach my husband to do with me, flexing against his hand and forearm. I have not had the same intensity of pain that you have, mine is in my right foot only. It's my belief that this 'imbalance' that causes the inflammation of PF must be addressed, joints must be 'loosened', tight muscles eased, other areas of stress identified, and adjusted/corrected.. that's where a chiropractor can help..

salina on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017260)

Thanks. Very interesting. Couldn't hurt since I need to see one for my back and shoulders anyway. right now i am a walking Crick! And getting worse by the day.

KathyW on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017382)

Hi Sinead! I have had PF for almost 2 years with no relief from any treatment (minor relief from taping). I have been to podiatrist and neurologist. I recently had a session with a relexologist. She suggested that I try a chiropractor. She asked if I had problems with my knees. (I don't) She suggested that the problem is originating from knees and/or hips. (I have numb toes on both feet.) I also have curvature of spine. She suggested that chiropractor may be able to realign my hips. Finally...my question...how did you find your chiropractor and what do I need to shop for. I am nervous about going. What questions do I need to ask to make sure I'm getting someone who's properly trained to help this. Thanks!!!!

sinead on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017243)

Hello Salina, the chiropractor that I'm seeing has been here to this website, I'm encouraging him to log on... Are you there Jerry? He is helping me. Yesterday I saw him and he suggested that the real problem is my knee and hip, both on the right side, I have a curvature of the spine, and my hips/ pelvis are twisted or 'torqed out' some also. He believes that it's important for there to be 'complimentary' treatment of PF, massage, stretching, adjustment of the foot so that the bones in the foot, as elsewhere are articulating properly, as he found mine were not, and adding to (or causing?) the problem. He should speak to this himself.. He has shown me some good stretches, including one I can teach my husband to do with me, flexing against his hand and forearm. I have not had the same intensity of pain that you have, mine is in my right foot only. It's my belief that this 'imbalance' that causes the inflammation of PF must be addressed, joints must be 'loosened', tight muscles eased, other areas of stress identified, and adjusted/corrected.. that's where a chiropractor can help..

salina on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017260)

Thanks. Very interesting. Couldn't hurt since I need to see one for my back and shoulders anyway. right now i am a walking Crick! And getting worse by the day.

KathyW on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017382)

Hi Sinead! I have had PF for almost 2 years with no relief from any treatment (minor relief from taping). I have been to podiatrist and neurologist. I recently had a session with a relexologist. She suggested that I try a chiropractor. She asked if I had problems with my knees. (I don't) She suggested that the problem is originating from knees and/or hips. (I have numb toes on both feet.) I also have curvature of spine. She suggested that chiropractor may be able to realign my hips. Finally...my question...how did you find your chiropractor and what do I need to shop for. I am nervous about going. What questions do I need to ask to make sure I'm getting someone who's properly trained to help this. Thanks!!!!