Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery scheduled 3/22

Posted by Becky R. on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017236)

I have been suffering with bilateral p.f.since last summer. I have tried all the conventional treatments with no success. I have decided to have surgery, the traditional way, not endoscopic. I understand I will have about a 1 1/2 inch incision on the inside of my heel and a cast for 3 weeks. It is very scary, considering all the negative stuff you read on this website. I feel like I have no other choice but to try to get my life back. I can't even go to the grocery without pain, work as a nurse or travel the way I would like. The pf has taken over my life. I hope someone out there can give me some positives as I go for this surgery. I have read the board and doesn't sound to encouraging. I have 3 opinions - all say it is time for surgery. Thanks for listening.

Re: Surgery scheduled 3/22

Rick R on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017237)

Becky,

I had conventional surgery Oct. 1996 and consider it to have been a success beyond expectations. I hobbled through 13 years of PF before finding a combination of a doctor that was willing to do it and one I was willing to let do it. The ones I trusted were very reluctant. This ruined my recreation, but not my job, so I am in no position to be critical of someone that fought it for less time, but has their source of income at stake. What I would suggest that you do is contemplate the cause of your PF. Surgery as I see it gives you a fresh start but doesn't eliminate the cause. If you had a single injury event then there may be no mystery. If it just sort of reared it's ugly head then perhaps it's another matter. I think the wealth of information on this site, from Scott's information, to the posts of many caring people out there will point you in the right direction and more than likely already have. It may be as simple as stretching and strengthening, or the right orthotic and shoe combination. I am concerned that you may have the surgery and go right back to the set of conditions that led to PF without finding the changes you need to avoid a recurence. For me I learned that stretching strengthening and aggressive arch support were in order. I do believe that if I had the surgery, that I now consider to have been a success, and not implemented the lessons learned, I may very well have ended up right back where I started. Keep us posted on your surgery and recovery.

Best of luck,

Rick

BJC on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017239)

Becky, I had endoscopic surgery 8 weeks ago, and am thrilled with the results so far. Question: why conventional instead of EPF? Do you also have bone spurs, or any other problem? My pod keeps saying how much easier EPF recovery is, and I can attest to that! Anyway, the result will be the same, but your recovery will be longer. My understanding of surgery is that, essentially, the fascia is lengthened, thus eliminating the tightness of the fascia which is causing pain. There should be not recurrence of the problem, assuming enough was cut (lenthened). As to eliminating the cause, I believe mine culminated in excessive pounding of my foot on ceramic tile while wearing a very soft shoe (pain started the next day). It also started in a foot that had had lots of trauma to it in the past. As an OT, I believe that when your lifestyle is as affected as yours, it is time to address the problem head on. You will be laid up for a while, but look at it as an opportunity to do some things you never have time for...I quilted every day and had a ball! By the way, are you having one or both feet done? Hopefully just one at a time! Good luck!

Beth D. on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017241)

Hey Becky,

I, too, came down with PF last summer. I've been reading the surgery message boards a bit as I contemplate another summer of pain. I look forward to hearing your progress and wish you well. Are you having both feet done? Do you have PF in both feet? I have it in both feet and am looking into going to Toronto as my next step. I opted not to try physical therapy, but did try a cortizone shot (which did nothing). Again, I hope you have a good experience with surgery.

Sincerely,

Beth D.

Nancy M on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017242)

Becky, I've had EPF surgery done on both feet. The first time (left foot)in September 1998, the second time (right foot)in March 1999. I'm happy to say I'm 100% pain free in both heels from the surgeries.

Nancy in AZ

CherylBoston on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017244)

Dear Becky, I too have been suffering with this PF since last summer. At this point I am in a hard cast for one month with crutches to see if resting it works... I was wearing an air cast for almost 4 month. that did not work now I'm off it completely. I pray every day that it will...My Pod. is not very keen on surgery he believes I need to rest...MY life has changed drasticallly.. anyway will you E-mail me? I would like to ask you some questions.. My e-mail address is R3RS5@AOL.com if you do not want to I will understand..CherylBoston

Kim B. on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017245)

Hi Becky,

Rick and the others make very good points! (Wow, that must have been Rick's serious side, his other side is demented. which I really like in a person! (So that's a compliment Rick.)) Anyway, Becky, just remember this... misery loves company and as long as you can hobble to the 'puter, we'll be here for you! Good or bad, right or wrong, You can e-moan for us while it's hurting, and we'll e-rejoice with you when you hit the healing milestones. Here's to hoping you are the next PF surgery success story!

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017248)

becky: do not be scared of the surgery. probably take no more than 30 minutes and you will have very little pain. small incision. i was in a half cast for 10 days and then the stitches and cast were removed. did you ask your surgeon what percentage of the fascia he will release? the worst thing is crutches if you have to use them which you may not.

Danny T on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017251)

I had conventional surgery on 3/6. The incision is about 1-1/2 inches long on the inside of the foot. I am on crutches at the moment but I do not have a cast on the foot. The surgery was performed by an orthopedic surgeon who says that he performs several each month. We preferes conventional over endoscopic because he can see what he is doing better. I have had PF in one foot for a year. Three cortisone shots, physical therapy, and other non-surgical treatments were not affective, although the shots provided relief for about six to eight weeks each.

Rick R on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017237)

Becky,

I had conventional surgery Oct. 1996 and consider it to have been a success beyond expectations. I hobbled through 13 years of PF before finding a combination of a doctor that was willing to do it and one I was willing to let do it. The ones I trusted were very reluctant. This ruined my recreation, but not my job, so I am in no position to be critical of someone that fought it for less time, but has their source of income at stake. What I would suggest that you do is contemplate the cause of your PF. Surgery as I see it gives you a fresh start but doesn't eliminate the cause. If you had a single injury event then there may be no mystery. If it just sort of reared it's ugly head then perhaps it's another matter. I think the wealth of information on this site, from Scott's information, to the posts of many caring people out there will point you in the right direction and more than likely already have. It may be as simple as stretching and strengthening, or the right orthotic and shoe combination. I am concerned that you may have the surgery and go right back to the set of conditions that led to PF without finding the changes you need to avoid a recurence. For me I learned that stretching strengthening and aggressive arch support were in order. I do believe that if I had the surgery, that I now consider to have been a success, and not implemented the lessons learned, I may very well have ended up right back where I started. Keep us posted on your surgery and recovery.

Best of luck,

Rick

BJC on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017239)

Becky, I had endoscopic surgery 8 weeks ago, and am thrilled with the results so far. Question: why conventional instead of EPF? Do you also have bone spurs, or any other problem? My pod keeps saying how much easier EPF recovery is, and I can attest to that! Anyway, the result will be the same, but your recovery will be longer. My understanding of surgery is that, essentially, the fascia is lengthened, thus eliminating the tightness of the fascia which is causing pain. There should be not recurrence of the problem, assuming enough was cut (lenthened). As to eliminating the cause, I believe mine culminated in excessive pounding of my foot on ceramic tile while wearing a very soft shoe (pain started the next day). It also started in a foot that had had lots of trauma to it in the past. As an OT, I believe that when your lifestyle is as affected as yours, it is time to address the problem head on. You will be laid up for a while, but look at it as an opportunity to do some things you never have time for...I quilted every day and had a ball! By the way, are you having one or both feet done? Hopefully just one at a time! Good luck!

Beth D. on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017241)

Hey Becky,

I, too, came down with PF last summer. I've been reading the surgery message boards a bit as I contemplate another summer of pain. I look forward to hearing your progress and wish you well. Are you having both feet done? Do you have PF in both feet? I have it in both feet and am looking into going to Toronto as my next step. I opted not to try physical therapy, but did try a cortizone shot (which did nothing). Again, I hope you have a good experience with surgery.

Sincerely,

Beth D.

Nancy M on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017242)

Becky, I've had EPF surgery done on both feet. The first time (left foot)in September 1998, the second time (right foot)in March 1999. I'm happy to say I'm 100% pain free in both heels from the surgeries.

Nancy in AZ

CherylBoston on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017244)

Dear Becky, I too have been suffering with this PF since last summer. At this point I am in a hard cast for one month with crutches to see if resting it works... I was wearing an air cast for almost 4 month. that did not work now I'm off it completely. I pray every day that it will...My Pod. is not very keen on surgery he believes I need to rest...MY life has changed drasticallly.. anyway will you E-mail me? I would like to ask you some questions.. My e-mail address is R3RS5@AOL.com if you do not want to I will understand..CherylBoston

Kim B. on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017245)

Hi Becky,

Rick and the others make very good points! (Wow, that must have been Rick's serious side, his other side is demented. which I really like in a person! (So that's a compliment Rick.)) Anyway, Becky, just remember this... misery loves company and as long as you can hobble to the 'puter, we'll be here for you! Good or bad, right or wrong, You can e-moan for us while it's hurting, and we'll e-rejoice with you when you hit the healing milestones. Here's to hoping you are the next PF surgery success story!

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017248)

becky: do not be scared of the surgery. probably take no more than 30 minutes and you will have very little pain. small incision. i was in a half cast for 10 days and then the stitches and cast were removed. did you ask your surgeon what percentage of the fascia he will release? the worst thing is crutches if you have to use them which you may not.

Danny T on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017251)

I had conventional surgery on 3/6. The incision is about 1-1/2 inches long on the inside of the foot. I am on crutches at the moment but I do not have a cast on the foot. The surgery was performed by an orthopedic surgeon who says that he performs several each month. We preferes conventional over endoscopic because he can see what he is doing better. I have had PF in one foot for a year. Three cortisone shots, physical therapy, and other non-surgical treatments were not affective, although the shots provided relief for about six to eight weeks each.