Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What Is a Pilates?

Posted by salina on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017253)

Am I out of touch or what? I don't even know what a Pilates is.
An exercise machine?

Re: What Is a Pilates?-- and tts, pf, and exercise

alan on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017285)

Hi Salina,

It's an exercise machine where you lie down or kneel for most of the exercises and there is no weight bearing on the feet. Also, there are exercises for controlled resistance for the feet.

As for where I left off earlier, I would recommend the pilates performer for those who are looking to get out of the dumps and get exercise without involving the feet. With tts the possibility is there that you can't do the foot exercises or have to cut them down or wait til you are better to do them. For that reason and the price, it makes sense to get not for the foot exercises but for the body, and maybe get the fot exercises as a bonus if your feet can do them.

The pilates foot exercises got me started on re-vamping my approach to foot pain and bringing my yoga training back into therapy. I did have a period of dumps and inactivity at first, which now seems hard to understand from where I am now, but that was the way I was.

Any exercise that can dislodge that is great.

alan k

Re: What Is a Pilates?-- and tts, pf, and exercise

alan on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017285)

Hi Salina,

It's an exercise machine where you lie down or kneel for most of the exercises and there is no weight bearing on the feet. Also, there are exercises for controlled resistance for the feet.

As for where I left off earlier, I would recommend the pilates performer for those who are looking to get out of the dumps and get exercise without involving the feet. With tts the possibility is there that you can't do the foot exercises or have to cut them down or wait til you are better to do them. For that reason and the price, it makes sense to get not for the foot exercises but for the body, and maybe get the fot exercises as a bonus if your feet can do them.

The pilates foot exercises got me started on re-vamping my approach to foot pain and bringing my yoga training back into therapy. I did have a period of dumps and inactivity at first, which now seems hard to understand from where I am now, but that was the way I was.

Any exercise that can dislodge that is great.

alan k