Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question About Cast

Posted by salina on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017255)

Hi Cheryl, I am curious about the hard cast.
Has your doctor discussed how you should start using your foot again once the cast is removed?
I was reading surveys and old posts, and it seems like several people that had the hard cast, all felt better right afterwards, but then the pain came back once they were back on their feet again as usual.
this is just my opinion, but it seems like this could happen because your foot gets 'total' rest for so long, then BOOM, its back up and running (no punn intended). But you get the picture, right? That would be such a shock for your foot after so much rest. So even if your foot is temporarily better, it would be such a strain to just be put right back to work, so to speak. I am interested to see what your doctor has said about how slowly your should take it once removing the cast, or if he has said anything at all. Maybe after the cast, you should go soooo slowly, not just walk as normal til you strengthen your foot again. If the cast works, and I hope it does, you will be so excited to be out of pain, maybe you will be tempted to go, go, go, when your foot still needs to rest, rest, rest. And slowly, slowly, slowly, regain normal activities. Sound right to you?
I am looking at possibly being in soft casts (both feet) maybe in June when my husband can take leave from work to help me. If this happens, I plan on acting like the soft cast is truly like a hard cast and not remove them except for , you know, the whole bodily function business and a little personal hygiene. At least that is my plan. So let me know what you think, ok? thanks
I hope you are soon walking free of pain.

Re: Question About Cast

cheryl on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017268)

Hi Salina
My Doctor did not tell me what was next.... he has been trying to get me to get TOTAL rest for a few months. But unfortunetly it was impossible for me. We just had two deaths brother in law (42 two kids 2 and 5 yrs.) and an aunt 70 both of cancer It has been very tough for me to rest my foot.. So my Dr. was glad to cast it ...He has been very conservative in his treatment and I like that ..He probably will call me tomorrow (it will be a week) and we will discuss that. this hard cast can be taken off for showers it is open on the front of the leg and held on with an ace bandage..I have a shower seat and can only take it off for showers. I intend on asking him if I can take it off for stretching excercises. My right foot is starting to bother me now I think it could be from putting all my weight on that foot and hopping... who knows I'm miserable.... If he wants me to go to physical Therapy after this I'm going to bum out I hated that... getting there was one problem and I really don't think it worked at all...My left leg is already skinnier than my right from the past year of favoring it. My job is a driver and delivery person, I have 3 teens, my husband just had double hip surgery last July I belong to a fitness center and also run or walk....now I watch t.v., read and roll around my kitchen on an old chair with wheels !! But I'm here and able to tell my story so I'm Lucky!!True story:
My sister Linda (a blonde) called me Saturday morning to see what I was doing.. I told her I was playing solitiare she said Oh with who? I've laughing about that since..I try to find humor every day... I'll let you know what's next with the cast...keep smiling:):):):):)

Re: Question About Cast

cheryl on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017268)

Hi Salina
My Doctor did not tell me what was next.... he has been trying to get me to get TOTAL rest for a few months. But unfortunetly it was impossible for me. We just had two deaths brother in law (42 two kids 2 and 5 yrs.) and an aunt 70 both of cancer It has been very tough for me to rest my foot.. So my Dr. was glad to cast it ...He has been very conservative in his treatment and I like that ..He probably will call me tomorrow (it will be a week) and we will discuss that. this hard cast can be taken off for showers it is open on the front of the leg and held on with an ace bandage..I have a shower seat and can only take it off for showers. I intend on asking him if I can take it off for stretching excercises. My right foot is starting to bother me now I think it could be from putting all my weight on that foot and hopping... who knows I'm miserable.... If he wants me to go to physical Therapy after this I'm going to bum out I hated that... getting there was one problem and I really don't think it worked at all...My left leg is already skinnier than my right from the past year of favoring it. My job is a driver and delivery person, I have 3 teens, my husband just had double hip surgery last July I belong to a fitness center and also run or walk....now I watch t.v., read and roll around my kitchen on an old chair with wheels !! But I'm here and able to tell my story so I'm Lucky!!True story:
My sister Linda (a blonde) called me Saturday morning to see what I was doing.. I told her I was playing solitiare she said Oh with who? I've laughing about that since..I try to find humor every day... I'll let you know what's next with the cast...keep smiling:):):):):)