Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

just got diagnosed with the stuff

Posted by pookie on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017256)

Reading these messages make me want to cry more. I am a first year teacher, and in a matter of 6 months of walking on those hard floors, my feet have given up. I've been flat-footed always, and had sore feet always, but never expected to develop this horrid pain. Last night I couldn't sleep and all I did was cry.

On Wednesday I'm going back to spend the big bucks and get custom arches. I got the injection and helped for 4 weeks or so, but I'm back to same old.

I have a pair of orthodic over-the-counter arch supports, but they have too much cushioning and hurt me too much.

I hate this, as I love my job. I don't want to quit because of this. Any advice? I feel my life is over. I can't wear dress shoes, all I can wear is those stupid running shoes, and they don't look very nice with Evening wear!!! I have not gone out once since I started with this stupid thing.

Help!

Pookie

Re: just got diagnosed with the stuff

Kim B. on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017267)

Hi Pookie,

I know how you feel. When I first realized this was what I had, and I found this site read how grim the situation truly was going to be, (at least for a while), I got so depressed. I cried myself to sleep that night. They (we) don't 'sugar-coat' things very much around here. But, you can count on this site for concise, correct information and a lot of caring support. It seems to me that the smartest people come down with this ailment! Learn your way around this site, and make use of the information at hand. You will learn to manage this illness and possibly triumph over it. I'm not saying it's easy, I'm just saying it is possible.

Check out Mike W.'s postings regarding his Personal Foot Trainer (PFT)device. I don't have one yet, (I have a lot of other medical problems hindering me right now,) but the 'PFT' looks very promising, especially if PF is the only ailment you are facing at the moment. Mike W. is a Physical Therapist and seems very knowledge about the proper stretching techniques for PF.

Do a search on 'shoes' too. First thing you need to do is find some shoes and/or inserts that agree with and support your unique foot needs. I recommend the 'SAS' line though some people think they are too soft. Other's will recommend Birkenstocks line, I find them to be too hard. Don't give up yet! You just need more info and more time to learn the things that WILL help you manage this illness.

Also, ask your Doc for a trial of 'Vioxx' it's a new prescription anti-inflammatory medication that works well for many people, without causeing much stomach upset. And last of all, for now, learn to baby your feet. Check in to 'massage'

Good luck, and feel better.
Kim B.

Rick R on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017269)

pookie,

How extensively have you checked out this site? There are so many things to try and reasons to be optimistic. Many of us are at wits end from a long ordeal, bouncing around from one doctor to another, not to mention the closet full of orthotics and ugly shoes we can't wear. Don't let us scare you! There are many success stories out there too. So come down from that ledge.

My oldest daughter is majoring in elementary education and hopes to be in your shoes in a couple of years,...sans PF. What do you teach?

After reading all you can on this site, start asking questions of those that share your symptoms and have similar characteristics. You will find a great deal of information and compassion.

We both have flat feet and a long history of foot pain (true for me even as a young whippersnapper just out of college). I have found orthitics and tape very effective. I tape up the arch near the heel tightly if I'm going to do much of anything active. For me exercise and stretching are crucial. This may sound strange now while you are in an active inflamation stage.

Hang in there, you will get through this.

Rick

Pookie on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017272)

Hi Kim:

What is SAS, it appers to be an acronym, but for what? I checked Mike's site, and sent him an email. I do suffer from other joint problems in my back, hands, neck, etc. So being diagnosed with a new joint disease has been devastating. I love teaching, and I am afraid to be incapasitated by this new little thing in my body, enough to have to look for yet another career. With Carpal Tunnel Syndrome I had to change careers.

It is comforting to have found this site though; I do feel I'm among people who understand, people who have survived, people who are emotionally in pain from this, and people with feelings I am experiencing right now.

Thank you for responding to my posting. Let me know what is SAS. I was wondering if this is a sandal, sportswear, brand or orthopedic store?

Lucy (Pookie)

Pookie on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017275)

Hi Rick:

I taped my heels today, and that seems to help. I just don't know if I'm doing it right. Tomorrow, I am seeing my chiropractor who has an ultrasound and tense unit, both machines that helped me a lot when I first injured some joints in my back.

When you wrap your arch, do you go all the way around the circumference of the foot? I saw a picture somewhere in a link that showed a different type of wrapping where three strips are first placed from inner to outer ankle, hugging the heel, followed by three strips taped from inner to outer side under the foot through the plantar area. That's how I taped my foot today, and felt it helped a bit. I was able to go to lunch with my friend today. I'm on Spring Break, ugh! How is it you tape your ankle again?

I teach art at a high school, and I am currently working with my students on an art car, which is a new trend in folk art. An old car is used as a surface to create a theme, etc. This project has increased my walking and standing time, making it an ordeal to work. My students are doing such a great job though; I have some true artists in my classes. Last week we finished astro-turfing the interior......bizarre!

I appreciate so much having run into this site. I am barely starting to research this condition, as my orthopedic surgeon does not give me much insight (he's a great caring doc thought).

I also soak my feet in warm water with Epsom Salt. That seems to relax my cramped muscles.

O.K., let me know what other things you do for your feet. Would you consider surgery? Some people appear to feel much better after recovering from surgery. But it sounds so painful; too many nerves on the soles of our feet to have them cut up and stuff you know!

Lucy (Pookie)

Kim B. on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017277)

Lucy-Pookie,

I just loved Rick's 'come down from the ledge' comment, didn't you? That boy makes me LOL!

Anyway, SAS stands for San Antonio Shoes. They go by SAS. It's the kind nurses and hospital staff often like to wear. I can't locate a web site for them. But you may be able to. Definately look in your Yellow pages to see where the closest store to you is located. I was supprised to find out I passed one almost all the time and never noticed it was there. They have come out with some new styles and designs.

Tell you what, do me, and yourself a favor, I have talked about SAS shoes alot here, so up above, you see a SEARCH line. Input SAS and everything that myself and others have had to say about SAS shoes will come up.

You're already taking charge of this thing, I can tell. You go girl! And don't forget to baby your feet.

Regards, Kim B.

Rick R on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017279)

Pookie,

Art eh, well then no need to be too careful with the writin.

Yes, I do go around the foot. I start with a gauze then start taping from the inside, over the top of the foot around the ankle (not too tight here or my achilles puts up a fuss) back over the top still wrapping from the inside to the outside, and around the foot three times just in front of the heel, tightly. Get this, and go ahead and have a good laugh, I use duct tape. Yup the industrial 11 mil stuff. Hopefully they haven't noticed me at Home Depot buying duct tape. I know what I'd be thinking. Next time I'll throw in a bottle of Old Harper to dust my trail. Since surgery, I only do this for what passes for athletics in my mind. Surgery was a great move for me. They went in at the side of the heel (inside)so I'm not trampling all over his fine work.

I have been intending to send Scott some photos of my taping method, but somehow haven't managed to. We will have the old camera unlimbered for Easter so what the heck, may be I'll whip out the duct tape and put on a show for the whole tribe. I think on 2/25 I posted in greater detail my entire ritual. Just for perspective, I have been at this for about 17 years. I have been back to running for the last 16 or so months without a major setback. I'm doing about 20 - 35 miles per week.

I had mushrooms growing in my 1969 Buick, does that count as art? (Yes Kim, same car). My daughter #1 should take your class. She has shown a propensity to add her creative touch to automobiles, 5 so far. Any chance of college credit? Keep in touch, don't give up the teaching!

Rick

Pat on 3/15/00 at 00:00 (017300)

Pookie, do you have completely flat feet? No arch at all?
I don't have any arch and I just want to warn you if you have no arch to support those custom arch supports can hurt like H--- Especially since you say you tried arch cushions and they hurt you. I do better
in completely flat shoes actually, had to throw out custom supports.

pookie on 3/15/00 at 00:00 (017306)

Hi Pat:

Well, I'lm not completely flat-footed. THis is going to sound funny, but the only way I can tell I'm not is because when my feet are wet I do leave an imprint on the floor with a bit of an arch space. I bouth the Fleet Feet arch supports, and the ones that help me better are the arches with less cushioning. How long have you been with PF?

I feel very depressed because I quit my last career because of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, went back to school to get my Teaching Certification, and now I have foot problems as a result.

Well, hope to hear from you soon.

Lucy (Pookie)

Pookie on 3/15/00 at 00:00 (017307)

Hi Rick:

Duck Tape!!!!!! LOL. Well that sure beats the cost of sports tape. Hey! what's the idea of slacking on the spelling just cause I'm an art teacher! LOL.

Wow 17 years, that's brutal. I seem to have weak joints or som' cause my low-back joints went out 11 years ago, my carpal tunnel joints went out 3 years ago, and now my foot joints. I changed careers to teaching cause of my wrists, so I am going through the downers right now because of this. I got in debt going back to school for the sake of my wrist health. I'm sure I'll bounce back at some point.

Going to the chiropractor today to get some ultrasound and tense unit stuff. It's getting costly, and next week to the ortho for the custom arch supports, getting costlier!

Oh, a while back I took a vitamin called Liga-Tend, it is especially for the healing of joints. When I took them during my wrist surgery it helped me heal super well. This is what mountaniers take for torn, injured ligaments. Thought to pass the info along. I'm gonna start taking them again.

Hey your daughter is a sort-of art car artist hey! Just for fun why don't you give her my website. I have a picture of my first artcar, the 'Frog Mobile', and sequence pictures of its 'creation.' When R.E.A.D. (Recycled & Endangered Art-car Dragon) is done I will downloading it to my site.

http://www.crpc.rice.edu/CRPC/GT/lrocae

Well, I'm off to Home Depot for some duck tape! LOL

Lucy (Pookie)

Pookie on 3/15/00 at 00:00 (017308)

Hi Kim:

Oh boy! SAS shoes sound like they are the usual ugly nurses shoes; nonetheless, I'll look into it. Thank you for the info. But, are they at least easthetically descent enough to wear? You know, I'm going to create my own shoe company and will call it LAS (Lucy's Alternative Shoes). LOL. Yeah Rick's ledge comment was too funny.

You know I wish all of us lived closed by to have PF conventions or get-togethers. I think you guys are great, and I'm glad to have run into this site cause I felt pretty helpless.

Well, I'm off to the chiropractor for ultrasound and tense unit PT.

E-see ya soon.

Lucy (Pookie)

john h on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017347)

girls in white SAS shoes always excite me!

wendyn on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017351)

I don't know about you John. You have a thing for acupuncturists and women in white SAS shoes? Hmmmmmm.

On that cat topic...

I do not have any cats. I am allergic to them, and I don't particularly like them (because I am allergic to them and therefore they must always come and sit on my lap).

andyman on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017359)

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago -- I have spent several years working on hard floors and my feet finally had enough. I was skeptical at first, but my friend suggested that I see a Chiroprator about it. (they just work on backs right?) To my surprise I found my doctor to be very up to speed on PF. He had me take Bromelain as a Naturopathic anti-inflamatory and started me on deep tissue massage. The first treatment was pretty excruciating, but it was well worth it! He also did some adjustments to the bones in my feet - one was pretty dramatic. After just a few visits I had little pain in my foot. Today I can honestly say that I don't have any symptoms at all. After suffering with the problem for more than a year it is a great relief... If you can, I'd suggest seeing a chiropractor. GOOD LUCK.

florina on 3/17/00 at 00:00 (017401)

I am going to start my sessions on Monday. I hope it works. I am glad it worked for you and now I am very hopeful. thanks.

Kim B. on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017267)

Hi Pookie,

I know how you feel. When I first realized this was what I had, and I found this site read how grim the situation truly was going to be, (at least for a while), I got so depressed. I cried myself to sleep that night. They (we) don't 'sugar-coat' things very much around here. But, you can count on this site for concise, correct information and a lot of caring support. It seems to me that the smartest people come down with this ailment! Learn your way around this site, and make use of the information at hand. You will learn to manage this illness and possibly triumph over it. I'm not saying it's easy, I'm just saying it is possible.

Check out Mike W.'s postings regarding his Personal Foot Trainer (PFT)device. I don't have one yet, (I have a lot of other medical problems hindering me right now,) but the 'PFT' looks very promising, especially if PF is the only ailment you are facing at the moment. Mike W. is a Physical Therapist and seems very knowledge about the proper stretching techniques for PF.

Do a search on 'shoes' too. First thing you need to do is find some shoes and/or inserts that agree with and support your unique foot needs. I recommend the 'SAS' line though some people think they are too soft. Other's will recommend Birkenstocks line, I find them to be too hard. Don't give up yet! You just need more info and more time to learn the things that WILL help you manage this illness.

Also, ask your Doc for a trial of 'Vioxx' it's a new prescription anti-inflammatory medication that works well for many people, without causeing much stomach upset. And last of all, for now, learn to baby your feet. Check in to 'massage'

Good luck, and feel better.
Kim B.

Rick R on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017269)

pookie,

How extensively have you checked out this site? There are so many things to try and reasons to be optimistic. Many of us are at wits end from a long ordeal, bouncing around from one doctor to another, not to mention the closet full of orthotics and ugly shoes we can't wear. Don't let us scare you! There are many success stories out there too. So come down from that ledge.

My oldest daughter is majoring in elementary education and hopes to be in your shoes in a couple of years,...sans PF. What do you teach?

After reading all you can on this site, start asking questions of those that share your symptoms and have similar characteristics. You will find a great deal of information and compassion.

We both have flat feet and a long history of foot pain (true for me even as a young whippersnapper just out of college). I have found orthitics and tape very effective. I tape up the arch near the heel tightly if I'm going to do much of anything active. For me exercise and stretching are crucial. This may sound strange now while you are in an active inflamation stage.

Hang in there, you will get through this.

Rick

Pookie on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017272)

Hi Kim:

What is SAS, it appers to be an acronym, but for what? I checked Mike's site, and sent him an email. I do suffer from other joint problems in my back, hands, neck, etc. So being diagnosed with a new joint disease has been devastating. I love teaching, and I am afraid to be incapasitated by this new little thing in my body, enough to have to look for yet another career. With Carpal Tunnel Syndrome I had to change careers.

It is comforting to have found this site though; I do feel I'm among people who understand, people who have survived, people who are emotionally in pain from this, and people with feelings I am experiencing right now.

Thank you for responding to my posting. Let me know what is SAS. I was wondering if this is a sandal, sportswear, brand or orthopedic store?

Lucy (Pookie)

Pookie on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017275)

Hi Rick:

I taped my heels today, and that seems to help. I just don't know if I'm doing it right. Tomorrow, I am seeing my chiropractor who has an ultrasound and tense unit, both machines that helped me a lot when I first injured some joints in my back.

When you wrap your arch, do you go all the way around the circumference of the foot? I saw a picture somewhere in a link that showed a different type of wrapping where three strips are first placed from inner to outer ankle, hugging the heel, followed by three strips taped from inner to outer side under the foot through the plantar area. That's how I taped my foot today, and felt it helped a bit. I was able to go to lunch with my friend today. I'm on Spring Break, ugh! How is it you tape your ankle again?

I teach art at a high school, and I am currently working with my students on an art car, which is a new trend in folk art. An old car is used as a surface to create a theme, etc. This project has increased my walking and standing time, making it an ordeal to work. My students are doing such a great job though; I have some true artists in my classes. Last week we finished astro-turfing the interior......bizarre!

I appreciate so much having run into this site. I am barely starting to research this condition, as my orthopedic surgeon does not give me much insight (he's a great caring doc thought).

I also soak my feet in warm water with Epsom Salt. That seems to relax my cramped muscles.

O.K., let me know what other things you do for your feet. Would you consider surgery? Some people appear to feel much better after recovering from surgery. But it sounds so painful; too many nerves on the soles of our feet to have them cut up and stuff you know!

Lucy (Pookie)

Kim B. on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017277)

Lucy-Pookie,

I just loved Rick's 'come down from the ledge' comment, didn't you? That boy makes me LOL!

Anyway, SAS stands for San Antonio Shoes. They go by SAS. It's the kind nurses and hospital staff often like to wear. I can't locate a web site for them. But you may be able to. Definately look in your Yellow pages to see where the closest store to you is located. I was supprised to find out I passed one almost all the time and never noticed it was there. They have come out with some new styles and designs.

Tell you what, do me, and yourself a favor, I have talked about SAS shoes alot here, so up above, you see a SEARCH line. Input SAS and everything that myself and others have had to say about SAS shoes will come up.

You're already taking charge of this thing, I can tell. You go girl! And don't forget to baby your feet.

Regards, Kim B.

Rick R on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017279)

Pookie,

Art eh, well then no need to be too careful with the writin.

Yes, I do go around the foot. I start with a gauze then start taping from the inside, over the top of the foot around the ankle (not too tight here or my achilles puts up a fuss) back over the top still wrapping from the inside to the outside, and around the foot three times just in front of the heel, tightly. Get this, and go ahead and have a good laugh, I use duct tape. Yup the industrial 11 mil stuff. Hopefully they haven't noticed me at Home Depot buying duct tape. I know what I'd be thinking. Next time I'll throw in a bottle of Old Harper to dust my trail. Since surgery, I only do this for what passes for athletics in my mind. Surgery was a great move for me. They went in at the side of the heel (inside)so I'm not trampling all over his fine work.

I have been intending to send Scott some photos of my taping method, but somehow haven't managed to. We will have the old camera unlimbered for Easter so what the heck, may be I'll whip out the duct tape and put on a show for the whole tribe. I think on 2/25 I posted in greater detail my entire ritual. Just for perspective, I have been at this for about 17 years. I have been back to running for the last 16 or so months without a major setback. I'm doing about 20 - 35 miles per week.

I had mushrooms growing in my 1969 Buick, does that count as art? (Yes Kim, same car). My daughter #1 should take your class. She has shown a propensity to add her creative touch to automobiles, 5 so far. Any chance of college credit? Keep in touch, don't give up the teaching!

Rick

Pat on 3/15/00 at 00:00 (017300)

Pookie, do you have completely flat feet? No arch at all?
I don't have any arch and I just want to warn you if you have no arch to support those custom arch supports can hurt like H--- Especially since you say you tried arch cushions and they hurt you. I do better
in completely flat shoes actually, had to throw out custom supports.

pookie on 3/15/00 at 00:00 (017306)

Hi Pat:

Well, I'lm not completely flat-footed. THis is going to sound funny, but the only way I can tell I'm not is because when my feet are wet I do leave an imprint on the floor with a bit of an arch space. I bouth the Fleet Feet arch supports, and the ones that help me better are the arches with less cushioning. How long have you been with PF?

I feel very depressed because I quit my last career because of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, went back to school to get my Teaching Certification, and now I have foot problems as a result.

Well, hope to hear from you soon.

Lucy (Pookie)

Pookie on 3/15/00 at 00:00 (017307)

Hi Rick:

Duck Tape!!!!!! LOL. Well that sure beats the cost of sports tape. Hey! what's the idea of slacking on the spelling just cause I'm an art teacher! LOL.

Wow 17 years, that's brutal. I seem to have weak joints or som' cause my low-back joints went out 11 years ago, my carpal tunnel joints went out 3 years ago, and now my foot joints. I changed careers to teaching cause of my wrists, so I am going through the downers right now because of this. I got in debt going back to school for the sake of my wrist health. I'm sure I'll bounce back at some point.

Going to the chiropractor today to get some ultrasound and tense unit stuff. It's getting costly, and next week to the ortho for the custom arch supports, getting costlier!

Oh, a while back I took a vitamin called Liga-Tend, it is especially for the healing of joints. When I took them during my wrist surgery it helped me heal super well. This is what mountaniers take for torn, injured ligaments. Thought to pass the info along. I'm gonna start taking them again.

Hey your daughter is a sort-of art car artist hey! Just for fun why don't you give her my website. I have a picture of my first artcar, the 'Frog Mobile', and sequence pictures of its 'creation.' When R.E.A.D. (Recycled & Endangered Art-car Dragon) is done I will downloading it to my site.

http://www.crpc.rice.edu/CRPC/GT/lrocae

Well, I'm off to Home Depot for some duck tape! LOL

Lucy (Pookie)

Pookie on 3/15/00 at 00:00 (017308)

Hi Kim:

Oh boy! SAS shoes sound like they are the usual ugly nurses shoes; nonetheless, I'll look into it. Thank you for the info. But, are they at least easthetically descent enough to wear? You know, I'm going to create my own shoe company and will call it LAS (Lucy's Alternative Shoes). LOL. Yeah Rick's ledge comment was too funny.

You know I wish all of us lived closed by to have PF conventions or get-togethers. I think you guys are great, and I'm glad to have run into this site cause I felt pretty helpless.

Well, I'm off to the chiropractor for ultrasound and tense unit PT.

E-see ya soon.

Lucy (Pookie)

john h on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017347)

girls in white SAS shoes always excite me!

wendyn on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017351)

I don't know about you John. You have a thing for acupuncturists and women in white SAS shoes? Hmmmmmm.

On that cat topic...

I do not have any cats. I am allergic to them, and I don't particularly like them (because I am allergic to them and therefore they must always come and sit on my lap).

andyman on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017359)

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago -- I have spent several years working on hard floors and my feet finally had enough. I was skeptical at first, but my friend suggested that I see a Chiroprator about it. (they just work on backs right?) To my surprise I found my doctor to be very up to speed on PF. He had me take Bromelain as a Naturopathic anti-inflamatory and started me on deep tissue massage. The first treatment was pretty excruciating, but it was well worth it! He also did some adjustments to the bones in my feet - one was pretty dramatic. After just a few visits I had little pain in my foot. Today I can honestly say that I don't have any symptoms at all. After suffering with the problem for more than a year it is a great relief... If you can, I'd suggest seeing a chiropractor. GOOD LUCK.

florina on 3/17/00 at 00:00 (017401)

I am going to start my sessions on Monday. I hope it works. I am glad it worked for you and now I am very hopeful. thanks.