Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The best execise for me

Posted by Gordon on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017261)

For those of you who don't know me and I have been on here for about a year and a half and started with my PF in June 96 and had it really bad for at least two years. I have some type of arthritic condition that seems to keep me from being totally 100% but I'ld say I have done fairly well for the last year or so. I can play light games of soccer,basketball etc. a and can walk all day long without pain. I have talked about how diet helped etc.

I have been working with different exercise routines for the last 3 years or so and have found that one particular set of exercises really helps me make it through the day. It is very simple but will make your stomach muscles hurt a little at first.

Every morning I do the following routine that pumpd blood and works the tendons and muscles of the back and side of the leg and back (for about 10-20 minutes)

First
I lay on one side and do leg kicks. I start off slow. Keep your heel pointed like your trying to stretch the calf through the kick. I do about 25 on one leg and then roll over and do the other. Then I repeat this until I feel like my leg is stretched out.

After the side kick I do side leg raises. I start slow and then work as fast and hard as I can.

Then I lay on my back and do a several variations of stomach crunches while kicking one leg up at at time up as high as a can with the heel pointed and leg semi-straight to stretch the calf. I do about 30-40 on each leg then repeat.

Try not to kick yourself in the head with your knee.

After a few weeks of doing this you can work up to kicking as hard and as fast as you can trying to work up a sweat. The harder and faster you can do it the better the results but don't do that until you've tried it for a few weeks. Learn your limits slowly.

I usually mix in other exercises with this and also do calf stretches. Just standing and touching the toes in form left hand to right foot also helps

My theroy of why this helps is as follows:

As Mike has mentioned blood flow is important yet difficult to achieve in the tendons and ligaments. The kicking cause the juices to flow to these areas better than any other method I have tried.

The stomach crumch combined with the leg raise really pumps the lower intestines and helps your digetive system work better and I think this is another key for arthritic problems.

The kicking action, if overdone, may cause pain so work up to the harder kicks slowly each time and don't go too hard until you've tried it for a few weeks. Combine this rountine with other exercises to get a full aerobic work out without hurting the foot.

I did over-do this a couple times at the beginning and stretched the fascia and calf too much and had a set back so BE CAREFUL.

Good luck

Re: The best exercise...(somewhat long)

BarbJ on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012356)

Dear Alan: If you are serious about getting a handle on pf, the best exercises you can do are foot strengthening and stretching exercises. After 2 to 3 months (yep, nothing comes easy!) you may find that you are 80% better and able to do the yoga. Before doing them, be sure to warm up your feet with heat. If you ride a bike or do other aerobics, do that first to have your feet warmed up. There are lots of different strengthening exercises but if you don't have time to go through a whole routine, do the following 3 times a day. (This was given to me by an orthopedic surgeon who had pf for 3 years before he found this worked for him. It has also worked for me. While I am not 100%, my pf is reduced to the point I can do whatever I want as long as I keep this up and sometimes I am actually pain free.)
Sit with your legs out in front of you (supported by something but with your feet off the end). Point your toes then try to face the soles of your feet towards each other as much as possible. You should feel the muscles going up the insides of your ankles as well as the top of the feet towards both the inside and the outside. These are the muscles that help support your feet. You will also (guaranteed!) get foot cramps when you first start doing these. When you get a cramp, just back off on the position a little bit (but not all the way) until the cramping goes away and then try to resume the hold. Hold this position for 30 seconds. You only need to do this once but do it three times a day. After doing this, do the regular calf stretch recommended by everybody here. That's it! If you want to do more, there are many other foot strengthening exercises, i.e., air writing the alphabet with your feet, picking up dish towels with your toes, picking up marbles one by one with your toes, etc., etc. Hope others can benefit as I have. Best of luck.

Re: The best exercise...any more?

alan k on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012367)

Thanks so much for your ideas. I will do that one along with the others I do: towel curls (picking up towel with toes), and running my instep up my calf. I am interested in any other exersizes you do or know of, because a variety has got to be even better.

I am going to make a separate post asking the same questions.

best wishes,
alan k.

Re: The best exercise for me

Gordon on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017263)

Important note:
Don't try very hard to keep the leg straight. Otherwise you might over stretch the calf. The most important part is the pumping action. The stretch effect is secondary. Don't point the toes but instead point the heel like a Karate kick except don't force this very hard just kick away comfortably.

Re: The best exercise...(somewhat long)

BarbJ on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012356)

Dear Alan: If you are serious about getting a handle on pf, the best exercises you can do are foot strengthening and stretching exercises. After 2 to 3 months (yep, nothing comes easy!) you may find that you are 80% better and able to do the yoga. Before doing them, be sure to warm up your feet with heat. If you ride a bike or do other aerobics, do that first to have your feet warmed up. There are lots of different strengthening exercises but if you don't have time to go through a whole routine, do the following 3 times a day. (This was given to me by an orthopedic surgeon who had pf for 3 years before he found this worked for him. It has also worked for me. While I am not 100%, my pf is reduced to the point I can do whatever I want as long as I keep this up and sometimes I am actually pain free.)
Sit with your legs out in front of you (supported by something but with your feet off the end). Point your toes then try to face the soles of your feet towards each other as much as possible. You should feel the muscles going up the insides of your ankles as well as the top of the feet towards both the inside and the outside. These are the muscles that help support your feet. You will also (guaranteed!) get foot cramps when you first start doing these. When you get a cramp, just back off on the position a little bit (but not all the way) until the cramping goes away and then try to resume the hold. Hold this position for 30 seconds. You only need to do this once but do it three times a day. After doing this, do the regular calf stretch recommended by everybody here. That's it! If you want to do more, there are many other foot strengthening exercises, i.e., air writing the alphabet with your feet, picking up dish towels with your toes, picking up marbles one by one with your toes, etc., etc. Hope others can benefit as I have. Best of luck.

Re: The best exercise...any more?

alan k on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012367)

Thanks so much for your ideas. I will do that one along with the others I do: towel curls (picking up towel with toes), and running my instep up my calf. I am interested in any other exersizes you do or know of, because a variety has got to be even better.

I am going to make a separate post asking the same questions.

best wishes,
alan k.

Re: The best exercise for me

Gordon on 3/14/00 at 00:00 (017263)

Important note:
Don't try very hard to keep the leg straight. Otherwise you might over stretch the calf. The most important part is the pumping action. The stretch effect is secondary. Don't point the toes but instead point the heel like a Karate kick except don't force this very hard just kick away comfortably.