Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: $500 Orthotics

Posted by Rick R on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017343)

Lucy,

I am a big believer in arch support but not necessarily $500 custom orthotics. I have had the leather & cork dodads about 3/4 length for a long time. For the first 2 months I believe the 'custom' may be of some value, however, after some time the 'custom' gets squashed all to blazes and you are no better off than you would be with off the shelf inserts. Mine tend to slide away from the proper position messing up the shoes as they go(sliping to the inside). It's simple wedge physics. Once that happens how much value could you be getting from all that custom fitting. Just one guy's opinion. My daughter(#2) has full length inserts that are made from man made materials. Not for PF thank goodness, she runs track, darned well I might add. With these ($300 - 500 also) you don't generally have the option of moving them around to different shoes, but they do stay put. I have decided I'm making my next pair.

I have sort of created my own concoction for running but use the messed up orthotics for 'normal' activities.

So you have been masquerading as a cat have you. Could there be a correlation between cats and PF? I think Scott mentioned a 19 year old one. Our house is infested with them (3). I'm not going to use their names especially 'Fat Boy' despite any degree of appropriateness.

Did the Chiro do anything for your feet? If so I'm curious what he/she does.

Rick

john h on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017345)

maybe there is some relationship between cats and PF as i also have 3 cats that climb on my keyboard as i try to type.

john h on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017345)

maybe there is some relationship between cats and PF as i also have 3 cats that climb on my keyboard as i try to type.