Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When will the FDA approved the Ossatron?

Posted by Paul M. on 3/16/00 at 00:00 (017373)

Does anyone have any insight as to when it might be approved by the FDA and therefore available in the U.S.?
posted to the eswt board

Re: When will the FDA approved the Ossatron?

Barbara on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017470)

I spoke with a person at Healthtronics a week ago and was told that FDA approval (if approved) would be very soon. For other medical problems it was at least a year away. The other problem are the doctors. I was told by my Orthopaedist that he would not buy the machine so fast because it takes time before insurance companies accept new procedures. If insurance companies don't reimburse for procedures, few patients would opt for the treatment and therefore, he would not be able to recoup the cost of the machine. It always comes down to economics.
posted to the eswt board

Paul M. on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017480)

If this machine provides the results that everyone is claiming, then the insurance companies should be ready to pay for the procedure, at least for people like me who have been incurring charges for over ten years. Hopefully, this would put an end to doctor visits, MRI's, X-Rays, pain and other medications, orthotics, physical therapy, etc. I'm sure though, that the insurance companies would consider that if the problem could be handled through means other than the Ossatron in the short term, then that might be cheaper for them. Everything comes down to the price they charge for the procedure. You can bet that I will be aggravating my insurance carrier beginning now....regards.
Paul
posted to the eswt board

john h on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017533)

a real big deal will it be accepted my medicare, medicaid. it is non invasive and much less expensive than surgery. if the results are positive i would think they would come on board within a year. there are always doctors looking to increase revenues from the get go so you can bet there will be a number of facilities around using them early on.
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017544)

ESWT is more expensive then surgery for the insurance companies.. Insurance companies pay about 40
cent on the dollar for surgery that can be addressed by the various EWST machines. The cost of any of the ESWT machines is in the hundred's of thousand's of dollars. That doesn't include supplies,
repairs etc. I can see alot of doctors buying a machine, then getting paid a very low rate from insurance companies, and on top of this having the insurance tell the doctor, patients and the rest of the world when the doctor can use the machine.

Why would an insurance company pay for something that costs the insurance more money in the long run. They don't care about quality of care, they care about quality of profit. So don't hold you breath
if you think that the insurance companies are going to pay for ESWT.
for heel spur, and tendonitis problems of the extremites. If they do approve of this service you won't beable to get the service because no doctor in his right well would buy a machine that costs hundred's of thousand of dollars and then not make any profit at all.

I know of many companies that pay for surgery but won't buy for orthosis.
posted to the eswt board

BJC on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017585)

My insurance (CHAMPUS/Tricare) has approved about 70% of my hospital bill thus far. I have not yet received the allowance for the dr. - I hope they allow a very high amount...he did a great job!
posted to the eswt board

Barbara on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017470)

I spoke with a person at Healthtronics a week ago and was told that FDA approval (if approved) would be very soon. For other medical problems it was at least a year away. The other problem are the doctors. I was told by my Orthopaedist that he would not buy the machine so fast because it takes time before insurance companies accept new procedures. If insurance companies don't reimburse for procedures, few patients would opt for the treatment and therefore, he would not be able to recoup the cost of the machine. It always comes down to economics.
posted to the eswt board

Paul M. on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017480)

If this machine provides the results that everyone is claiming, then the insurance companies should be ready to pay for the procedure, at least for people like me who have been incurring charges for over ten years. Hopefully, this would put an end to doctor visits, MRI's, X-Rays, pain and other medications, orthotics, physical therapy, etc. I'm sure though, that the insurance companies would consider that if the problem could be handled through means other than the Ossatron in the short term, then that might be cheaper for them. Everything comes down to the price they charge for the procedure. You can bet that I will be aggravating my insurance carrier beginning now....regards.
Paul
posted to the eswt board

john h on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017533)

a real big deal will it be accepted my medicare, medicaid. it is non invasive and much less expensive than surgery. if the results are positive i would think they would come on board within a year. there are always doctors looking to increase revenues from the get go so you can bet there will be a number of facilities around using them early on.
posted to the eswt board

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017544)

ESWT is more expensive then surgery for the insurance companies.. Insurance companies pay about 40
cent on the dollar for surgery that can be addressed by the various EWST machines. The cost of any of the ESWT machines is in the hundred's of thousand's of dollars. That doesn't include supplies,
repairs etc. I can see alot of doctors buying a machine, then getting paid a very low rate from insurance companies, and on top of this having the insurance tell the doctor, patients and the rest of the world when the doctor can use the machine.

Why would an insurance company pay for something that costs the insurance more money in the long run. They don't care about quality of care, they care about quality of profit. So don't hold you breath
if you think that the insurance companies are going to pay for ESWT.
for heel spur, and tendonitis problems of the extremites. If they do approve of this service you won't beable to get the service because no doctor in his right well would buy a machine that costs hundred's of thousand of dollars and then not make any profit at all.

I know of many companies that pay for surgery but won't buy for orthosis.
posted to the eswt board

BJC on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017585)

My insurance (CHAMPUS/Tricare) has approved about 70% of my hospital bill thus far. I have not yet received the allowance for the dr. - I hope they allow a very high amount...he did a great job!
posted to the eswt board