Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortisone shot

Posted by Barbb on 3/17/00 at 00:00 (017446)

I just wanted to give an update.....I just got a cortisone shot on 3/7/00......so far so good......it hasnt felt this good in 3 months...just hopes it stays this way. I am limiting my workouts to running just 4 miles 2xs a week (instead of 6 days a week) and doing the ellipitcal trainer (for 45 minutes)on the other 4 days I work out....so far so good.....the Dr. told me to just keep up with the stretches before and after I workout and do them another 3 times during the day......the Dr. doesent want me to exercise the way I do but I just cant seem to sit around. I am supposed to go back to the Dr. on 3/23/00 to see how things are going....if it feels like this I might just call him on the phone instead.....he did mention something about possibly orthonics....I will keep my fingers crossed and keep you all updated......Thanks....Barbb

Re: cortisone shot

john h on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015094)

i am still at a loss as to why a B-12 shot in ankle? B12 should be absorbable thru the stomach/intestine.

alan k on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015095)

The B-12 is supposed to have a soothing effect on the nerve. It wasn't given under the idea that I might have a B-12 deficiency. My podiatrist already ruled that out, without a test, because my pain did not originate in my toes first. I am relatively certain, given my expereince so far, that this is not a valid theory. Rules of thumb like this are not likely applicable to complex and possibly systemic nerve problems.

Anyway, the B-12 shot is as an under the skin salve sort of. Worth a try. It is included in many standard cortisone shot mixtures.

alan k

wendyn on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015123)

Alan, when my podiatrist wanted to give me a cortisone for TTS - he explained that at least in this case, they would also inject an anesthetic. If it numbed the pain - then it can be used as confirmation that the pain is originating from the nerve in that tunnel. If the pain stays - then it's not the source of the problem. This is apparently a common tool podiatrists use to see whether or not a diagnosis of TTS is in order.

alan k on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015124)

Yes, my pod called it a nerve block, and he has one shot left to go (making three) before he will have to admit things are not so simple as they seem. Unless of course it helps, but it hasn't so far and I do believe things are more complicated than they seem.

I think I do have tts as a complication of whatever else it is that I have. But tts treatment isn't going to fix it completely. Or maybe I'm wrong, we'll see....

alan k

Laurie R on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015129)

My podiatrist told me the same thing yesterday that if he gave me a cortisone shot and it took the pain away then it is TTS but He did say I have to wait until after the EMG tast.He also remenbered that when I first went to him he talked about the shots and I said no so he said thats why he did'nt bring it up again.Laurie R PS Alan do you see any change since you have had the shot in your pain?

alan k on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015135)

no change so far...

alan k

Laurie R on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015139)

Alan, What do you think that means.I was told that if it is a nerve entrapment then the shot would take the pain away.Where did your doctor give you your shot? In what part of your foot? Did he give it to you in the Tarsel tunnel?Laurie R

alan k on 1/27/00 at 00:00 (015150)

Yes, in the tarsal tunnel.

I think it means that the mild tinnel's sign I get is a sign that tts is a minor factor in a more complex condition. Probably this thing we call on the board 'atypical chronic plantar fasciitis.'

Or, there is still the possibility of a nerve entrapment in the back, which no doctors have been very interested in yet.

It's all just a theory, though. I don't know at all what's going on.
At least, if it is atypical pf, there have been some people who have made considerable progress on it. No one has been cured of it that I can remember, but I am long past wanting a cure so much as just wanting a little normalcy. Or maybe that's not true.

alan k

Re: cortisone shots

Barbara C on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017067)

I have been told by friends that cortizone shots will cause loss of bone. Is that just after taking the shots over a period of time or what. My husband has taken them at least every 3 to 4 years for an old knee injury. They seem to help him better then all the pain drugs.

Re: cortisone shotRE Barbb

Laurie R on 3/17/00 at 00:00 (017451)

Hi Barb,
I am so glad that the cortisone shot worked for you.I had two of them in the past 3 weeks and they did not help me at all.I wonder why they help some and not the others.....My therapist thought that the cortisone was the answer for me but I did have mine for TTS and not PF so that could be the reason why because it is the nerve thing.Just be very carful not to injure your self because you feel so good.Best to you and I hope all your pain is behind you....Have a wonderful night and keep on feeling good.Laurie R

Barbb on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017458)

Thanks Laurie....guess it just works for some and not all.....I just hope it stays this way......there are so many people it works for but it doesent last.....time will tell....will keep you updated.... Barbb

BJC on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017463)

I've had shots in both feet at different times, with different results! It did not work at all in my right foot (2 shots). When I had mu surgery, my left foot was very bad, so I asked the dr. to try cortisone, injecting when I was asleep! The foot has been much better (for 8 weeks), but then again I have not been walking as much since the surgery. Time will tell.

john h on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015094)

i am still at a loss as to why a B-12 shot in ankle? B12 should be absorbable thru the stomach/intestine.

alan k on 1/25/00 at 00:00 (015095)

The B-12 is supposed to have a soothing effect on the nerve. It wasn't given under the idea that I might have a B-12 deficiency. My podiatrist already ruled that out, without a test, because my pain did not originate in my toes first. I am relatively certain, given my expereince so far, that this is not a valid theory. Rules of thumb like this are not likely applicable to complex and possibly systemic nerve problems.

Anyway, the B-12 shot is as an under the skin salve sort of. Worth a try. It is included in many standard cortisone shot mixtures.

alan k

wendyn on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015123)

Alan, when my podiatrist wanted to give me a cortisone for TTS - he explained that at least in this case, they would also inject an anesthetic. If it numbed the pain - then it can be used as confirmation that the pain is originating from the nerve in that tunnel. If the pain stays - then it's not the source of the problem. This is apparently a common tool podiatrists use to see whether or not a diagnosis of TTS is in order.

alan k on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015124)

Yes, my pod called it a nerve block, and he has one shot left to go (making three) before he will have to admit things are not so simple as they seem. Unless of course it helps, but it hasn't so far and I do believe things are more complicated than they seem.

I think I do have tts as a complication of whatever else it is that I have. But tts treatment isn't going to fix it completely. Or maybe I'm wrong, we'll see....

alan k

Laurie R on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015129)

My podiatrist told me the same thing yesterday that if he gave me a cortisone shot and it took the pain away then it is TTS but He did say I have to wait until after the EMG tast.He also remenbered that when I first went to him he talked about the shots and I said no so he said thats why he did'nt bring it up again.Laurie R PS Alan do you see any change since you have had the shot in your pain?

alan k on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015135)

no change so far...

alan k

Laurie R on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015139)

Alan, What do you think that means.I was told that if it is a nerve entrapment then the shot would take the pain away.Where did your doctor give you your shot? In what part of your foot? Did he give it to you in the Tarsel tunnel?Laurie R

alan k on 1/27/00 at 00:00 (015150)

Yes, in the tarsal tunnel.

I think it means that the mild tinnel's sign I get is a sign that tts is a minor factor in a more complex condition. Probably this thing we call on the board 'atypical chronic plantar fasciitis.'

Or, there is still the possibility of a nerve entrapment in the back, which no doctors have been very interested in yet.

It's all just a theory, though. I don't know at all what's going on.
At least, if it is atypical pf, there have been some people who have made considerable progress on it. No one has been cured of it that I can remember, but I am long past wanting a cure so much as just wanting a little normalcy. Or maybe that's not true.

alan k

Re: cortisone shots

Barbara C on 3/09/00 at 00:00 (017067)

I have been told by friends that cortizone shots will cause loss of bone. Is that just after taking the shots over a period of time or what. My husband has taken them at least every 3 to 4 years for an old knee injury. They seem to help him better then all the pain drugs.

Laurie R on 3/17/00 at 00:00 (017451)

Hi Barb,
I am so glad that the cortisone shot worked for you.I had two of them in the past 3 weeks and they did not help me at all.I wonder why they help some and not the others.....My therapist thought that the cortisone was the answer for me but I did have mine for TTS and not PF so that could be the reason why because it is the nerve thing.Just be very carful not to injure your self because you feel so good.Best to you and I hope all your pain is behind you....Have a wonderful night and keep on feeling good.Laurie R

Barbb on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017458)

Thanks Laurie....guess it just works for some and not all.....I just hope it stays this way......there are so many people it works for but it doesent last.....time will tell....will keep you updated.... Barbb

BJC on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017463)

I've had shots in both feet at different times, with different results! It did not work at all in my right foot (2 shots). When I had mu surgery, my left foot was very bad, so I asked the dr. to try cortisone, injecting when I was asleep! The foot has been much better (for 8 weeks), but then again I have not been walking as much since the surgery. Time will tell.