Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new to this board, questions

Posted by SuzanneK on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017489)

Hello everyone. I am so grateful to have found this board. No one really seems to understand the pain. I was diagnosed with tendonitis 4 years ago, spent 3 months in a walking cast and got custom orthotics ($300!!) that helped for the longest time. Until January, when I got this shooting pain in my heel that didn't go away. I have had 2 cortisone shots, am wearing a night splint, and have started doing the stretching exercises. After reading this board, I went out and got Vitamin C, glucosamine, and will start with the advil to see if that helps. There's a Birkenstock store in the mall not TOO far from me - will go tomorrow. Do I wear my orthotics with birks? Guess I'll try them out to see. I need a little more information on icing, please. When and for how long? I haven't been able to exercise since January (preferred exercise was walking, but that hurts too darn much). I am a 3rd grade teacher, so staying off my feet completely at work is NOT an option, but I am planning to march (did I say March? I mean HOBBLE) into my principal's office Monday to let her know to expect to see me sitting on my rear, in my rolly chair, rolling around the room as much of the time as I can. Any other advice? Thanks in advance.

Re: new to this board, questions

salina on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017497)

Hi Suzanne,
Definately go to your principal and explain what is going on with you. That way they will understand. i am a stay at home mom, and even though I am up and down all day with the little ones, I do hav the luxury of sitting on my duff when I need to. I cannot imagine how awful it must be to suffer through a whole day at work. Things get hectic here at home, but i can sort of make my own workload so to speak.
I, too, went and checked out some birks at a mall near my home. It's important to make sure you have the proper size. But you might want to consider ordering them online at Scott's link. They are sooo much cheaper. When you go to the mall, don't pass out when they tell you how much they cost there. The reason why I am thinking the birks may help me is because I wear reebok walking shoes with arch inserts in them all day, and I am in pain all day. But I got some sandals that sort of mimick the birks and when I put them on I am able to stand on my feet for more than double the usual time without pain. It does eventually come (the pain) but not nearly as bad or as fast. I wore them all day once a couple of weeks ago and had a good day. But the next day my feet were sore so I put my regular tennis shoes back on.
And I haven't tried them again. Til today. I put them on as soon as I got up, and didn't take them off. Remember i am just talking about my cheap mimicking pair, not the real birks. But today has been a better day than I have had in a long time. I was able to be on my feet for so much longer than usual. My problem is that I probabl overdid it and my feet will be sore tomorrow and I will just put my walking shoes back on. Hope not. they say you have to break in the birks. Not to try towear them all day as soon as you get them. I can't wait to get mine and will let you know how Ilike them. Everyone says they are so ugly, but they are looking so much better than these reeboks to me.
Sorry to rattle on about shoes i don't even have yet.
I really just posted to say Hi. It seems like you are trying several different things that are working for some of the people on this board. So just hang in there. I have five children, three are school age, and I know how important teachers are. Best wishes to you.

SuzanneK on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017503)

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the helpful comments. So nice to feel some support! Kim, I will be VERY careful about rolling around in my chair. I have been on Spring Break this week and have been able to give my poor foot a rest. I don't look forward to having to be back on it all day come Monday. I have been talking with my team about saving me some steps (my room is as far from the office as you can be in the school - I think it was on purpose, LOL, long story) and they are willing to check my box and save me some steps. I don't think anyone who has experienced the pain truly understands how bad it can be. I am surviving by thinking about how much worse it COULD be! Thanks so much for all the kind words! It really means a lot!!!

salina on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017497)

Hi Suzanne,
Definately go to your principal and explain what is going on with you. That way they will understand. i am a stay at home mom, and even though I am up and down all day with the little ones, I do hav the luxury of sitting on my duff when I need to. I cannot imagine how awful it must be to suffer through a whole day at work. Things get hectic here at home, but i can sort of make my own workload so to speak.
I, too, went and checked out some birks at a mall near my home. It's important to make sure you have the proper size. But you might want to consider ordering them online at Scott's link. They are sooo much cheaper. When you go to the mall, don't pass out when they tell you how much they cost there. The reason why I am thinking the birks may help me is because I wear reebok walking shoes with arch inserts in them all day, and I am in pain all day. But I got some sandals that sort of mimick the birks and when I put them on I am able to stand on my feet for more than double the usual time without pain. It does eventually come (the pain) but not nearly as bad or as fast. I wore them all day once a couple of weeks ago and had a good day. But the next day my feet were sore so I put my regular tennis shoes back on.
And I haven't tried them again. Til today. I put them on as soon as I got up, and didn't take them off. Remember i am just talking about my cheap mimicking pair, not the real birks. But today has been a better day than I have had in a long time. I was able to be on my feet for so much longer than usual. My problem is that I probabl overdid it and my feet will be sore tomorrow and I will just put my walking shoes back on. Hope not. they say you have to break in the birks. Not to try towear them all day as soon as you get them. I can't wait to get mine and will let you know how Ilike them. Everyone says they are so ugly, but they are looking so much better than these reeboks to me.
Sorry to rattle on about shoes i don't even have yet.
I really just posted to say Hi. It seems like you are trying several different things that are working for some of the people on this board. So just hang in there. I have five children, three are school age, and I know how important teachers are. Best wishes to you.

SuzanneK on 3/18/00 at 00:00 (017503)

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the helpful comments. So nice to feel some support! Kim, I will be VERY careful about rolling around in my chair. I have been on Spring Break this week and have been able to give my poor foot a rest. I don't look forward to having to be back on it all day come Monday. I have been talking with my team about saving me some steps (my room is as far from the office as you can be in the school - I think it was on purpose, LOL, long story) and they are willing to check my box and save me some steps. I don't think anyone who has experienced the pain truly understands how bad it can be. I am surviving by thinking about how much worse it COULD be! Thanks so much for all the kind words! It really means a lot!!!