Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yeah, concrete floors seem to affect many of us....

Posted by dang dave on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017508)

I once had a girlfriend (decades ago) who complained about my complaining about my feet hurting while I was working in a woodworking shop which had concrete floors. After she left to go into the Peace Corps and ended up teaching in a one room school shed in Zaire (Congo, now) on a concrete floor she wrote to me saying 'Now I know how you felt... my feet are killing me!!'

teachers may be affected almost as badly as us who work longer hours in the blue collar trenches with tough floors and repeative movements as teachers may be constrained from wearing comfortable shoes due to dress codes or image. Most schools I think wouldn't mind if teachers wear rather masculine shoes or athletic shoes though would they?? Hiking shoes with good insoles perhaps???

Re: Yeah, concrete floors seem to affect many of us....

alan k on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017512)

Good point Dave about the dress code, even if it is just fashion mostly and not enforced. These teachers need to get into good shoes:birks are my choice, and the classic footbed has some models that look shoe-like. The birk shoes are not as good as the classic footbed but I make out all right with them too.

Placing your own carpet/mats at particular places you walk and stand on alot (like a hallway runner carpet in front of the black board or a soft door mat in the spanking corner) might also be a good idea. If you are on good terms with your superiors you might be able to get them to make adjustments.

alan k

Re: Yeah, concrete floors seem to affect many of us....

alan k on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017512)

Good point Dave about the dress code, even if it is just fashion mostly and not enforced. These teachers need to get into good shoes:birks are my choice, and the classic footbed has some models that look shoe-like. The birk shoes are not as good as the classic footbed but I make out all right with them too.

Placing your own carpet/mats at particular places you walk and stand on alot (like a hallway runner carpet in front of the black board or a soft door mat in the spanking corner) might also be a good idea. If you are on good terms with your superiors you might be able to get them to make adjustments.

alan k