Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar fasciitis and subsequent tarsal tunnel tennis player

Posted by dfeet A. on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017542)

Hi, i'm new, but a sufferer of what began as plantar fasc. and progressed to tarsal tunnel in both feet. i went from a very active tennis player and athletic person who now can only count the hours until my next physical therapy session! Please, if anyone has any further suggestions about coping with these disorders, or has any adjunctive treatment modalities it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, my job requires that i spend a lot of time on my feet and uses fine motor skills and coordination; therefore, medications that interfere with nerve impulses are out. I've been using the ibuprofen cream regularly, icing, oral anti-inflammatories, etc., but to only mild if any relief.Oh,yeah I've tried orthotics, cortisone injections, night splints. The plantar fasciitis seems to be better,but the tarsal tunnel is not responding. Any suggestions? Please help. Thanks.

Re: Plantar fasciitis and subsequent tarsal tunnel tennis player

john h on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017545)

dfeet: how do you know you have Tarsal Tunnel? This is a tough one to diagnos even with electrical conduction test. symptons for tarsal tunnel can sometimes be the same. i had a tarsal tunnel release and am of the opinion it had little to do with my problem.

wendyn on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017556)

Welcome dfeetA, you've come to the right place..you'll find lots here that can relate to your problems.

First some questions...how long have you been having problems, and do they know why you have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome? What types of doctors have you seen - and what types of tests have you done?

If you're just starting to research TTS, you'll be finding that it's a real booger to get rid of....you won't find any easy answers.

It sounds like you're trying all the right things - but probably the most important thing you could do right now would be to rest your feet. Hard to do if you have to stand on them at work...any chance of sick leave or a change in duties?

Icing helps, elevating helps, acupuncture seems to be helping me as well as B12 supplements. Birkenstocks help too. I don't have a cure for you...but those are some other things to try.

Surgery is an option, but the results often depend on what's caused the problem in the first place. It needs to be an absolute last resort.

I can relate to the major change in life style. I keep telling people that I'm a couch potato in training. I overdid it on my feet for a few days in a row so I'm paying for it now.

Went out for Greek food last night (first time, absolutely wonderful!!!) - had to sit in the restuarant with ice stuffed down my sock. Today I watched four movies....hopefully things will settle back down for tomorrow.

Matt L on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017588)

I too was an avid tennis player and have/had tarsal tunnel in one foot and pf in both. No conservative treatments worked to any degree. About 3+ years ago, after positive nerve conductor test confirmation, I had a tt release. It was initially successful but now I have some pain in the area of the big toe- probably from scar tissue. However, on whole the operation was a success and I went back to a more active lifestyle until the PF kicked in. A little over a year ago I had a partial plantar fasciotomy on the same foot where the tt release was performed. This help some but once again scar tissue formed causing some discomfort at the point of incision.

My other foot had recently been progressing towards PF surgery when I learned about ESWT. I went to Toronto 4 weeks ago and had the procedure and am very encouraged at this point. I only wish that option had been available for the other foot. ESWT however will not help a nerve entrapment. You may want to research ESWT on this website as there is a lot of info. Good luck.

dfeet on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017651)

Thank you so much for your input. I don't think anyone really can appreciate the awful discomfort and disruption in one's life that this condition causes. Even the docs are somewhat lackadaisical(sp?)about it. I've have been suffering for over 6mos and am on the verge of loosing my mind. I realize that this is not really a very long toime compared to alot of other people and I can only sympathize with their pain. I have semi-rigid orthotics, have been in PT-but my coverage is about to run out, have seen two podiatrists and am currently seeing an orthopedist. Funny, but the orthopedist is the one who is adamantly against surgery. I agree. I've had access to many documents and there is truly a very small(about 3%) success rate. I am self employed, so taking time off is nearly impossible. thank you again . goodluck .

dfeet on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017653)

Hi, john. Well, I have had the EMG testing which I thought was confirmation of tts. My symptoms include severe burning of my anterior aspect of my ankle just superior to the medial maleolus, positive tinel's, pain most severe at night after extended periods of standing or walking, tingling sensation on the soles of my feet, cramping of my arches(causing many sleepless nights). My MRI indicated that I had plantar fasciitis and flexor hallicus synovitis-supposedly this is indicative of tts? I don't know the cause, although my ortopod has ordered a barrage of blood tests. Any input would help, even a differential diagnosis or alternative treatment modalities. I am currently doing th PT thing, orthotics, IB cream, IB by mouth, ice, etc. Any suggestions? Comments? How long to recovery if any? Is this a chronic condition which I'llhave to learn to live with ???? Thanks. This site has been a glimpse of some sanity and encouragement.

dfeet on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017654)

Thank you for your help. I think I just lost my message to you. Well, anyhow, I sincerely appreciate your response. What is ESWT?
Is it like phonophoresis? I had knee surgeries ( I was a maniac 'bump' skier) and developed a lot of scar tissue. The PT used ultrasound and a vitamin E cream which really helped. Also, massaging the scar with the vit. E cream proved to be very beneficial. The massage must be quite hard, though, to break up the scar tissue. It's worth a try. Good luck . Congratulations on your success with tts release!!!

john h on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017545)

dfeet: how do you know you have Tarsal Tunnel? This is a tough one to diagnos even with electrical conduction test. symptons for tarsal tunnel can sometimes be the same. i had a tarsal tunnel release and am of the opinion it had little to do with my problem.

wendyn on 3/19/00 at 00:00 (017556)

Welcome dfeetA, you've come to the right place..you'll find lots here that can relate to your problems.

First some questions...how long have you been having problems, and do they know why you have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome? What types of doctors have you seen - and what types of tests have you done?

If you're just starting to research TTS, you'll be finding that it's a real booger to get rid of....you won't find any easy answers.

It sounds like you're trying all the right things - but probably the most important thing you could do right now would be to rest your feet. Hard to do if you have to stand on them at work...any chance of sick leave or a change in duties?

Icing helps, elevating helps, acupuncture seems to be helping me as well as B12 supplements. Birkenstocks help too. I don't have a cure for you...but those are some other things to try.

Surgery is an option, but the results often depend on what's caused the problem in the first place. It needs to be an absolute last resort.

I can relate to the major change in life style. I keep telling people that I'm a couch potato in training. I overdid it on my feet for a few days in a row so I'm paying for it now.

Went out for Greek food last night (first time, absolutely wonderful!!!) - had to sit in the restuarant with ice stuffed down my sock. Today I watched four movies....hopefully things will settle back down for tomorrow.

Matt L on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017588)

I too was an avid tennis player and have/had tarsal tunnel in one foot and pf in both. No conservative treatments worked to any degree. About 3+ years ago, after positive nerve conductor test confirmation, I had a tt release. It was initially successful but now I have some pain in the area of the big toe- probably from scar tissue. However, on whole the operation was a success and I went back to a more active lifestyle until the PF kicked in. A little over a year ago I had a partial plantar fasciotomy on the same foot where the tt release was performed. This help some but once again scar tissue formed causing some discomfort at the point of incision.

My other foot had recently been progressing towards PF surgery when I learned about ESWT. I went to Toronto 4 weeks ago and had the procedure and am very encouraged at this point. I only wish that option had been available for the other foot. ESWT however will not help a nerve entrapment. You may want to research ESWT on this website as there is a lot of info. Good luck.

dfeet on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017651)

Thank you so much for your input. I don't think anyone really can appreciate the awful discomfort and disruption in one's life that this condition causes. Even the docs are somewhat lackadaisical(sp?)about it. I've have been suffering for over 6mos and am on the verge of loosing my mind. I realize that this is not really a very long toime compared to alot of other people and I can only sympathize with their pain. I have semi-rigid orthotics, have been in PT-but my coverage is about to run out, have seen two podiatrists and am currently seeing an orthopedist. Funny, but the orthopedist is the one who is adamantly against surgery. I agree. I've had access to many documents and there is truly a very small(about 3%) success rate. I am self employed, so taking time off is nearly impossible. thank you again . goodluck .

dfeet on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017653)

Hi, john. Well, I have had the EMG testing which I thought was confirmation of tts. My symptoms include severe burning of my anterior aspect of my ankle just superior to the medial maleolus, positive tinel's, pain most severe at night after extended periods of standing or walking, tingling sensation on the soles of my feet, cramping of my arches(causing many sleepless nights). My MRI indicated that I had plantar fasciitis and flexor hallicus synovitis-supposedly this is indicative of tts? I don't know the cause, although my ortopod has ordered a barrage of blood tests. Any input would help, even a differential diagnosis or alternative treatment modalities. I am currently doing th PT thing, orthotics, IB cream, IB by mouth, ice, etc. Any suggestions? Comments? How long to recovery if any? Is this a chronic condition which I'llhave to learn to live with ???? Thanks. This site has been a glimpse of some sanity and encouragement.

dfeet on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017654)

Thank you for your help. I think I just lost my message to you. Well, anyhow, I sincerely appreciate your response. What is ESWT?
Is it like phonophoresis? I had knee surgeries ( I was a maniac 'bump' skier) and developed a lot of scar tissue. The PT used ultrasound and a vitamin E cream which really helped. Also, massaging the scar with the vit. E cream proved to be very beneficial. The massage must be quite hard, though, to break up the scar tissue. It's worth a try. Good luck . Congratulations on your success with tts release!!!