Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tightness in Foot

Posted by ChuckC on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017582)

I am a runner who got PF in January 1999. It gradually became worse during the following couple of months. Since then I have noticed small improvements every month or so. Last September the skin of my entire foot would immediately feel tight and tingly when any pressure was put on it--such as putting on a sock or standing while wearing a running shoe. There was no pain--just a wierd tightness. It did not become numb or hurt. At times it would also feel as though sand was inside my sock even though there was not. Sometimes it affected the front part of my foot and at other times it affected the heel area or ankle area. This tightness has been going away very slowly. I can now wear socks without getting the sensation, and when I do feel the tightness it only affects the bottom of my foot. It is not there when I first get up in the mornings--and it is not as severe when I wear Birkenstocks vs. running shoes with orthodics. It goes away when I run but returns shortly after I stop. I am to the point now where I can run and feel no PF pain. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the tightness?

Re: Tightness in Foot

wendyn on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017597)

Hi Chuck.

I have come across descriptions of your symptoms a lot while researching TTS - and I have similar sensations myself. Sometimes it feels like my toes are tied on too tight, or that there is a rubber band tied tightly around my ankle. Laurie (from this board) has the same problems. Most of what I've read relates this back to a nerve related problem (can happen for all sorts of reasons). It can cause burning and tingling, or a sensation that you're wearing a sock when you're not. Last year it sometimes felt like there was water dripping down my foot - but there was nothing there.

You should mention this to your doctor, and do some research on 'neuropathy'. There are many things that can cause neuropathy, but this certainly sounds like an accurate description of its symptoms(especially the feeling that your skin is too tight).

There is a bulletin board for peripheral neuropathy that you can go to (do a search here, or if you can't find it I can dig the address out for you). You will most likely find a huge number of people that describe the symptoms you have. I was amazed at how similar my symptoms were to the people on that board.

Be forewarned, I'm sure they're a very nice bunch of people on that board...but it is not a very happy place to be. Those are folks with major health problems and a lot of them are on heavy duty drugs (some are controlling extreme levels of pain). Most are diabetic or have multiple health issues.

Despite the fact that there was a lot of information available there, and the people were very supportive (and my problems are more closely related to them than most people here)...I simply found it to be too depressing to go there.

You may want to check it out for information purposes though...please let us know how you do.

Re: Tightness in Foot Re Wendyn

Laurie R on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017599)

Hi Wendy,
So you are doing better? I hope you are.Ok what you said about it feels like water is dripping down your foot,ok I have been feeling that for the longest,but I always say it feels like blood is running right out of my foot.I told my Podiatrist about that and he said that it was blood going through the blood vesels(sp) really fast.But my feeling is like you said it feels like it is comming right out of my foot.I have had this hard cast on now for 4 days and I still get thoes feelings.
Laurie R

wendyn on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017600)

Wow Laurie, it just does not sound like you're making much progress...is anything helping? I 'only' had the really nasty intense pain from May till September....I think I would have lost my mind if it hadn't let up when it did.

I still have set backs (like Saturday when I was stuffing ice down my socks at the restaurant)....but they aren't as dramatic and seem to settle down quickly (as long as I listen to my foot). I propped my feet up and watched movies yesterday and that seemed to do the trick.

I really hope that this cast will help you....is the pain letting up at all?

The pain is staying in my foot, and pretty only in my right foot.

Re: Tightness in Foot-- link and "low-grade" pn/tts

alan k on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017610)

the link is neuropathy.org

I understand Wendyn's feelings about their board, but I find it helpful to compare message boards and see how much better off our people are than theirs.

There are many levels and degrees of neuropathy, and I believe that, like tts, it is possible to have a very low-grade version of pn. There is no medical proof of my theories of low-grade tts or pn, but it is definitely not un-proven. Some pn treatments and advice my be helpful for us. It is definitely worth checking out if you have strange sensations (rubber bands, sand, pebbles in your sock, etc.). Common pn causes like B-12 deficiency are easily reversable, while diabetes is managable.

The thing with message boards is that they are dominated by chronic, intractable, and serious cases. Our message board is a distorted picture of pf. Their message board is a distorted picture of pn. A distorted pn picture is alot worse than a distorted picture of pf, that's why you need to take Wendy's caution in mind when going there.

alan k

wendyn on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017615)

Good to hear from you Alan!

I think you're right with the theory on varying degrees of PN/PF etc. I know that despite the fact that I have the same foot problems, the degree and extent of the pain is no where near the level I had in the past.

I would have been terrified by the stories if I had come here during my first bout of PF...it actually healed quite quickly. But on the other hand, I am still angry at the podiatrist that diagnosed me that time - he never said a word about not going barefoot, resting my foot, how long it would take to heal etc. Had I found this place, I would have had the info I needed. I also would like to believe that I would have taken my condition a lot more seriously than I did. Maybe not though, I can certainly relate to lots of new folks attitude of 'I can't give up sports' and 'I'll just be more careful while I'm running'. Some of us really have to learn the hard way.

I continue to take the B12 supplements (recall that my levels were borederline deficient)...I think that along with acupuncture, rest, birks, and maybe even the yoga and lots of TIME...I seem to be improving.

How bout you? Any thing helping?

john h on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017617)

wendy: you are very correct in that the neuropathy b board is a scary place. i really do not want to go back there again. they mailed me a package which was also scary. pf sucks but some of there problems give you a new perspective.

Laurie R on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017620)

Hi Wendy,
Thank you for asking,this cast is helping with the pain ,the pain is alot better than it was last week.I still have a little bit of pain I will say it went from a 10+ to a 5 so that works for me.My foot still has the numbing but that is not so bad either.This cast is a pain in the Butt,but I will tell you my foot needed to rest cause I was walking all over in the walking cast and now I have to rest.I was telling you that I do still get that water running out of my foot feeling with the cast on.I am suppose to wear this hard cast for 2 weeks but I htink when I go back and I tell him that it is working he is going to have me keep it on longer but that's ok too,cause maybe if I listen to my pod I will get better.I have been off work for 6 months,and I told my Pod last week that I am going to do my part.I know some people don't agree with casting but for me so far I feel it is helping me,I have tryed everything else.

Have a good day Laurie R

Re: Tightness in Foot--Thank You for the Info/Help

ChuckC on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017646)

Thank you Wendy, John, Alan and Laurie for your comments. I had seen the prior postings about TTS but none had quite matched my symptoms so I had figured that I did not have it. Thinking about it, however, and realizing that few have the same PF symptoms, stages, cures, etc., I should have recognized it as such.

Anyway, after skimming through the neuropathy bulletin board, I think I will try the Vitamin B-12, B-6 and then calcium route to see if I can get rid of the TTS. As I mentioned in my posting, the tightness is very, very, slowly going away. Someone had mentioned in an earlier posting that theirs had slowly disappeared.

Its intersting talking to others who have had PF and how some got rid of it. Some say they did not do stretching and others said they did. Several told me that they had it very bad one day and then all signs of it disappeared that night while they were asleep. They had not used a sock or anything that night. Another runner told me that he had it bad in college. Since he was on scholarship for running he felt he had to keep running. Anyway, one day he was running along and he heard a loud crackle or snap from the bottom of his foot. His PF disappeared. He is now 47 has been running ever since and has not had it since that day.

Thanks again. Good luck to you all. I will keep you posted on my progress.

wendyn on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017597)

Hi Chuck.

I have come across descriptions of your symptoms a lot while researching TTS - and I have similar sensations myself. Sometimes it feels like my toes are tied on too tight, or that there is a rubber band tied tightly around my ankle. Laurie (from this board) has the same problems. Most of what I've read relates this back to a nerve related problem (can happen for all sorts of reasons). It can cause burning and tingling, or a sensation that you're wearing a sock when you're not. Last year it sometimes felt like there was water dripping down my foot - but there was nothing there.

You should mention this to your doctor, and do some research on 'neuropathy'. There are many things that can cause neuropathy, but this certainly sounds like an accurate description of its symptoms(especially the feeling that your skin is too tight).

There is a bulletin board for peripheral neuropathy that you can go to (do a search here, or if you can't find it I can dig the address out for you). You will most likely find a huge number of people that describe the symptoms you have. I was amazed at how similar my symptoms were to the people on that board.

Be forewarned, I'm sure they're a very nice bunch of people on that board...but it is not a very happy place to be. Those are folks with major health problems and a lot of them are on heavy duty drugs (some are controlling extreme levels of pain). Most are diabetic or have multiple health issues.

Despite the fact that there was a lot of information available there, and the people were very supportive (and my problems are more closely related to them than most people here)...I simply found it to be too depressing to go there.

You may want to check it out for information purposes though...please let us know how you do.

Laurie R on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017599)

Hi Wendy,
So you are doing better? I hope you are.Ok what you said about it feels like water is dripping down your foot,ok I have been feeling that for the longest,but I always say it feels like blood is running right out of my foot.I told my Podiatrist about that and he said that it was blood going through the blood vesels(sp) really fast.But my feeling is like you said it feels like it is comming right out of my foot.I have had this hard cast on now for 4 days and I still get thoes feelings.
Laurie R

wendyn on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017600)

Wow Laurie, it just does not sound like you're making much progress...is anything helping? I 'only' had the really nasty intense pain from May till September....I think I would have lost my mind if it hadn't let up when it did.

I still have set backs (like Saturday when I was stuffing ice down my socks at the restaurant)....but they aren't as dramatic and seem to settle down quickly (as long as I listen to my foot). I propped my feet up and watched movies yesterday and that seemed to do the trick.

I really hope that this cast will help you....is the pain letting up at all?

The pain is staying in my foot, and pretty only in my right foot.

alan k on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017610)

the link is neuropathy.org

I understand Wendyn's feelings about their board, but I find it helpful to compare message boards and see how much better off our people are than theirs.

There are many levels and degrees of neuropathy, and I believe that, like tts, it is possible to have a very low-grade version of pn. There is no medical proof of my theories of low-grade tts or pn, but it is definitely not un-proven. Some pn treatments and advice my be helpful for us. It is definitely worth checking out if you have strange sensations (rubber bands, sand, pebbles in your sock, etc.). Common pn causes like B-12 deficiency are easily reversable, while diabetes is managable.

The thing with message boards is that they are dominated by chronic, intractable, and serious cases. Our message board is a distorted picture of pf. Their message board is a distorted picture of pn. A distorted pn picture is alot worse than a distorted picture of pf, that's why you need to take Wendy's caution in mind when going there.

alan k

wendyn on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017615)

Good to hear from you Alan!

I think you're right with the theory on varying degrees of PN/PF etc. I know that despite the fact that I have the same foot problems, the degree and extent of the pain is no where near the level I had in the past.

I would have been terrified by the stories if I had come here during my first bout of PF...it actually healed quite quickly. But on the other hand, I am still angry at the podiatrist that diagnosed me that time - he never said a word about not going barefoot, resting my foot, how long it would take to heal etc. Had I found this place, I would have had the info I needed. I also would like to believe that I would have taken my condition a lot more seriously than I did. Maybe not though, I can certainly relate to lots of new folks attitude of 'I can't give up sports' and 'I'll just be more careful while I'm running'. Some of us really have to learn the hard way.

I continue to take the B12 supplements (recall that my levels were borederline deficient)...I think that along with acupuncture, rest, birks, and maybe even the yoga and lots of TIME...I seem to be improving.

How bout you? Any thing helping?

john h on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017617)

wendy: you are very correct in that the neuropathy b board is a scary place. i really do not want to go back there again. they mailed me a package which was also scary. pf sucks but some of there problems give you a new perspective.

Laurie R on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017620)

Hi Wendy,
Thank you for asking,this cast is helping with the pain ,the pain is alot better than it was last week.I still have a little bit of pain I will say it went from a 10+ to a 5 so that works for me.My foot still has the numbing but that is not so bad either.This cast is a pain in the Butt,but I will tell you my foot needed to rest cause I was walking all over in the walking cast and now I have to rest.I was telling you that I do still get that water running out of my foot feeling with the cast on.I am suppose to wear this hard cast for 2 weeks but I htink when I go back and I tell him that it is working he is going to have me keep it on longer but that's ok too,cause maybe if I listen to my pod I will get better.I have been off work for 6 months,and I told my Pod last week that I am going to do my part.I know some people don't agree with casting but for me so far I feel it is helping me,I have tryed everything else.

Have a good day Laurie R

Re: Tightness in Foot--Thank You for the Info/Help

ChuckC on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017646)

Thank you Wendy, John, Alan and Laurie for your comments. I had seen the prior postings about TTS but none had quite matched my symptoms so I had figured that I did not have it. Thinking about it, however, and realizing that few have the same PF symptoms, stages, cures, etc., I should have recognized it as such.

Anyway, after skimming through the neuropathy bulletin board, I think I will try the Vitamin B-12, B-6 and then calcium route to see if I can get rid of the TTS. As I mentioned in my posting, the tightness is very, very, slowly going away. Someone had mentioned in an earlier posting that theirs had slowly disappeared.

Its intersting talking to others who have had PF and how some got rid of it. Some say they did not do stretching and others said they did. Several told me that they had it very bad one day and then all signs of it disappeared that night while they were asleep. They had not used a sock or anything that night. Another runner told me that he had it bad in college. Since he was on scholarship for running he felt he had to keep running. Anyway, one day he was running along and he heard a loud crackle or snap from the bottom of his foot. His PF disappeared. He is now 47 has been running ever since and has not had it since that day.

Thanks again. Good luck to you all. I will keep you posted on my progress.