Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics , arch pain and me....

Posted by Bruce J on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017587)

Hello, I have had three pair of custom made orthotics to alleviate PF
over the last 6-7 years. I have had arch pain and aches all over my feet the entire 7yrs. After changing Drs.and orthotic modifications the pain still persists. I believe now the pain of PF is basically gone but the orthotic pain remains. Anyway now I'm temporarilly w/o them (more adjustments) and my feet feel better than before. I have tried going without them before and have never been able to, and it feels like such a positive change. I will stretch and message , watch out for signs of PF and hope for relief. Any thoughts ?

Re: orthotics , arch pain and me....

wendyn on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017593)

A number of us had trouble with custom orthotics. I recently went to a pod for a fourth pair, and he suggested the blue birk over the counter inserts. Although I only wear them in the gym for an hour to do weights - I have found them very comfortable. For about $40.00 Canadian it may be worth a try, it's not a very high arch support so it may help take some of the pressure off. Let us know how you do!

Re: orthotics , arch pain and me....long response

VickiJ on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017614)

Hi Bruce,
I call it the 'orthotic enigma'. It took me three tries to get orthotics that didn't hurt and the only reason I continued to try was because my nephew who was finishing up pod school gave (what sounded to me) very valid reasons (much more detail than my pod offered)that they would help/were necessary. BUT I was also very religious with massaging and stretching because I had several episodes of feeling extremely tight calf or hamstring muscles and direct links to the pain in my heel (a mild cramp in one or both leg muscles followed instantaneously by a sharp pain in the heel).

I have no way of knowing if the orthotic had any direct impact on the healing I have experienced or not (I was on crutches at one point...now I'm not plus I can walk several blocks!). I do have high arches and years ago, many years before pf, sneakers that had an arch cushion high enough for my foot were far more comfortable than shoes that did not...and the birks were the first and only shoe I could wear for a long time. Orthotics are so expensive I think I'm going to buy a pair of the birk inserts to try instead, even tho some posters haven't had luck with them. I would love it if they are all I need along with stretching, so I don't have to replace the orthotics when they wear out.

Also, I have purchased and just received Mike W's pft...because I'm such a believer in stretching and strengthening of the foot and leg muscles...and have great hopes that the therapy I get with them will also negate the need for an orthotic.

salina on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017622)

Hi vickiJ.
I am also interested in the PFTs. I have not purchased one yet, but probably will in the future. Could you please keep us posted about your progress with them? I am very interested in hearing about them from people on the board.
And your pain, is it completely gone away at this point, or still lingering?
I hope you do well with the PFTs and other therapies you use.

VickiJ on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017658)

I'll definitly post my experience with the pft...after I've given it a fair chance.

Yes, I still have some pain. I thought I had started 'slowly and wisely' to begin walking again, but I guess I over did it. In Jan I started with four blocks...then up to a mile by late Feb...started with a little pain again and stopped...didn't want to bring on the horrible pain again...starting out very very slow this time.

Good luck to you too...gosh I wish we could all heal!

Re: orthotics , arch pain and me....

wendyn on 3/20/00 at 00:00 (017593)

A number of us had trouble with custom orthotics. I recently went to a pod for a fourth pair, and he suggested the blue birk over the counter inserts. Although I only wear them in the gym for an hour to do weights - I have found them very comfortable. For about $40.00 Canadian it may be worth a try, it's not a very high arch support so it may help take some of the pressure off. Let us know how you do!

VickiJ on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017614)

Hi Bruce,
I call it the 'orthotic enigma'. It took me three tries to get orthotics that didn't hurt and the only reason I continued to try was because my nephew who was finishing up pod school gave (what sounded to me) very valid reasons (much more detail than my pod offered)that they would help/were necessary. BUT I was also very religious with massaging and stretching because I had several episodes of feeling extremely tight calf or hamstring muscles and direct links to the pain in my heel (a mild cramp in one or both leg muscles followed instantaneously by a sharp pain in the heel).

I have no way of knowing if the orthotic had any direct impact on the healing I have experienced or not (I was on crutches at one point...now I'm not plus I can walk several blocks!). I do have high arches and years ago, many years before pf, sneakers that had an arch cushion high enough for my foot were far more comfortable than shoes that did not...and the birks were the first and only shoe I could wear for a long time. Orthotics are so expensive I think I'm going to buy a pair of the birk inserts to try instead, even tho some posters haven't had luck with them. I would love it if they are all I need along with stretching, so I don't have to replace the orthotics when they wear out.

Also, I have purchased and just received Mike W's pft...because I'm such a believer in stretching and strengthening of the foot and leg muscles...and have great hopes that the therapy I get with them will also negate the need for an orthotic.

salina on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017622)

Hi vickiJ.
I am also interested in the PFTs. I have not purchased one yet, but probably will in the future. Could you please keep us posted about your progress with them? I am very interested in hearing about them from people on the board.
And your pain, is it completely gone away at this point, or still lingering?
I hope you do well with the PFTs and other therapies you use.

VickiJ on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017658)

I'll definitly post my experience with the pft...after I've given it a fair chance.

Yes, I still have some pain. I thought I had started 'slowly and wisely' to begin walking again, but I guess I over did it. In Jan I started with four blocks...then up to a mile by late Feb...started with a little pain again and stopped...didn't want to bring on the horrible pain again...starting out very very slow this time.

Good luck to you too...gosh I wish we could all heal!