Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

have you tried birks?

Posted by alan k on 3/21/00 at 00:00 (017611)

Pookie,

I hurt my feet alot going around looking for sneakers-- must have walked miles in the mall when I should have been resting (this was before I found heelspurs.com)

Two questions: have you given birkenstocks a try? They take a serious commitment of gradual breaking in, just like orthotics. But the pay off for a majority of people seems to be great. They clearly, clearly helped me.

Second: are you gradually working into your orthotics? I think the instructions they give are too ambitious-- you should gradually ease into using them at an even slower rate than they recommend. However, at least one should work into them gradually as per their instructions. You can't stick new orthotics in and then go off to work and be on your feet. I recommend an hour a day, broken up into fifteen minute segments, for one week. Then half hour segments as desired for a week, then build up to full time use.

I was able to break mine in this way, but later discovered that birks were better than the orthotics so I gave them up.

alan k

Re: have you tried birks?

Pookie on 3/24/00 at 00:00 (017771)

Hi:

Well, you know, it hurts so bad to be without orthodics that I feel better living with the discomfort of having them all day. I did not like the birks cause I need a higher arch support.

My feet do feel better. I am starting PT soon, provided I can schedule into my busy schedule.

Pookie

Re: have you tried birks?

Pookie on 3/24/00 at 00:00 (017771)

Hi:

Well, you know, it hurts so bad to be without orthodics that I feel better living with the discomfort of having them all day. I did not like the birks cause I need a higher arch support.

My feet do feel better. I am starting PT soon, provided I can schedule into my busy schedule.

Pookie