Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks and your Big Toe-Marti?

Posted by Beth D. on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017660)

Hi all,

I've been rereading old posts for information about Birks and pain in the big toe (under, on top, generally everywhere). Last Thursday I walked a wee bit longer in my Arizona's. Since then my big toe in my right (my worse foot) has been hurting all the time. It cracks too when I bend it.

If Marti is still around, I noticed she had a similar occurence and I'm wondering whatever happened to her!

Anybody have any ideas? I finally feel the inflammation is under control and my heels are a bit better due to wearing the Birks. Yesterday I tried sneakers with orthotics and both feet felt bad, so I'm back in my sandles.

I sure appreciated the search engine, Scott. I'm not the only one!

Beth

Re: Birks and your Big Toe-Marti?

Marti C on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017663)

Hi Beth,
Yes I had pain in my big toe when I first started wearing the birks. It comes and goes, I think it has alot to do with where or how much your toe grips over that ridge. I have also developed like a callous, under my right big toe. The shoe store I visit said they could lower that area by heating up the material. I havent decieded yet if Im going to do that. Im not giving up on the birks tho, because they have allowed me a pretty normal life again. They work so well, for my pf that Im just trying do deal with the other problems as I go. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had these problems. Thanks Beth, for awhile I thought I was the only one who had experianced this, but then I use to think I was the only one who had pf. Boy, was I wrong. Let me know what you think, thanks Marti

john h on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017668)

i have 'hallux limitus' in both great toes. this is a arthritic condition in the second joint of the great toe where spurs form and cause pain. It is a common condition among runners and women who wear imporper shoes.i had one foot operated on to remove the spurs (Chelictomy) when i had the pf release. Birk sandals actually help my great toe problems.

linda h. on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017690)

Just wanted to let you know my big toe cracks all the time too :-)

Beth D. on 3/23/00 at 00:00 (017719)

Hi Marti,

The pain in my toe got so bad I am wearing my sneakers without any orthotic right now. I'm not walking or standing any more than is necessary so I can't judge inflammation yet. I did order the Birk insert from the Shoe tree. I'm hoping that that'll give me support in my sneakers without the toe grip irritating my big toe area. I'll keep you posted. How often do you switch shoes around? My problem crept up when I started to wear the Arizona's exclusively and not changing over to the clog Birks that I got. Any thoughts?

Beth

Marti C on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017663)

Hi Beth,
Yes I had pain in my big toe when I first started wearing the birks. It comes and goes, I think it has alot to do with where or how much your toe grips over that ridge. I have also developed like a callous, under my right big toe. The shoe store I visit said they could lower that area by heating up the material. I havent decieded yet if Im going to do that. Im not giving up on the birks tho, because they have allowed me a pretty normal life again. They work so well, for my pf that Im just trying do deal with the other problems as I go. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had these problems. Thanks Beth, for awhile I thought I was the only one who had experianced this, but then I use to think I was the only one who had pf. Boy, was I wrong. Let me know what you think, thanks Marti

john h on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017668)

i have 'hallux limitus' in both great toes. this is a arthritic condition in the second joint of the great toe where spurs form and cause pain. It is a common condition among runners and women who wear imporper shoes.i had one foot operated on to remove the spurs (Chelictomy) when i had the pf release. Birk sandals actually help my great toe problems.

linda h. on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017690)

Just wanted to let you know my big toe cracks all the time too :-)

Beth D. on 3/23/00 at 00:00 (017719)

Hi Marti,

The pain in my toe got so bad I am wearing my sneakers without any orthotic right now. I'm not walking or standing any more than is necessary so I can't judge inflammation yet. I did order the Birk insert from the Shoe tree. I'm hoping that that'll give me support in my sneakers without the toe grip irritating my big toe area. I'll keep you posted. How often do you switch shoes around? My problem crept up when I started to wear the Arizona's exclusively and not changing over to the clog Birks that I got. Any thoughts?

Beth