Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Bob: Reflexology

Posted by Kim B. on 3/22/00 at 00:00 (017700)

Hi Bob,

Reflexology is very complex and multifaceted. I don't know if I can do it justice so I'll tell you my layman's version and also advise you to go look up the proper definition.

Reflexolgy is a combination of massage and accupressure done on the feet. It's some kind of ancient alternative healing method. There are so many nerve endings in our feet, it is believed that by massaging certain areas of the foot you are promoting circulation of blood and oxygen not only to the feet but to specific organs and places on the body. Locate a reflexolgy chart to see exactly what I am refering to here. It's all very intersting! (I got a color coded reflexolgy chart from the 'Relax The Back' store.)

It feels goooood MOST of the time, It can be a little painful when the reflexologist works on the tender points. My therapist carefully, kneeds and massages my feet in very specific areas with chinese herbs and potions. In my case, she adjusts my ankles by pulling on them and rotating them around a bit, and yes, there is some popping that goes on. However, I can't say for sure whether that is part of the standard pratice. I've had a lot of massage therapy for my FM (Fibromyalgia) problems, but this new lady is the only person who has performed reflexology on me, so I don't know what is considered the norm. It's sort of a snap, crackle, pop thing at times and seems to unkink things a little. Whatever, I'm not complaining. All this feels pretty good at the time, but sometimes, there is just a little sorness for a day or so afterward, depending on what was done and how 'deep' she worked. But that's me, it may not be so for everyone.

I believe it is very important that if you suffer from chronic pain illness (like PF) that you only allow a highly skilled reflexologist to work on you. At this stage in MY life, due to my multitude of chronic illnesses, I am not a 'pratice subject' for anyone anymore. If you're interested in having this done, find a skilled massage therapist who is certifified in reflexology. The more skilled the therapist the better the results.

Also, do a search here at the site on the word Reflexology to see what myself, and others have already posted on the topic. I have seen it posted that some believe that PF suffers shouldn't have this therapy performed on them.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for, I am getting good results so far, but I've only had 3 sessions. My ankles feel better, and I feel the circulation to my feet is much better since starting this therapy.

Best Regards, Kim B.