Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Physical therapy - need advice!

Posted by Helene M on 3/23/00 at 00:00 (017742)

I saw a physiatrist this week who is sending me for physical therapy next week. Since my arches are currently very inflamed and painful,& I'm trying to hang on to my job while going through all this, I'm not sure if I want to go for therapy just yet. During one of my past PF flare-ups, the physical therapy actually made me worse & they had to stop. Perhaps it was too aggressive. With that in mind, I'm hesistant to start the therapy just yet as I can't afford another set-back. At the same time, I don't want to postpone any possible benefits I could get from it. So I am not sure what I should do. I am already set-back ever since the dr. pressed and probed my feet yesterday! If I had known, I wouldn't have let him touch me. Has anyone gone for physical therapy with their feet in such a bad state? What kind of treatments were done & did they help or make it worse? Although I don't post too often, I really do appreciate all the valuable information & knowledgeable people on this board!

Re: Physical therapy - need advice!

Kim B. on 3/23/00 at 00:00 (017748)

Hi Helen,

I can't respond to your specific question, because I have no idea what you will be in for when you go, hopefully someone else can relate. I have been to physical therapy but it was for other problems realated to my Fibromyalgia. It was beneficial for me. The sooner you get started, the sooner you will see results.

Just remember this, you are in the driver's seat. YOU dictate how much and at what pace you can proceed with this threapy. Go in with the mind set that you are the master of your body and you will set the pace based on how much you can handle. You call the shots.

I wish you lots of good care.

Regards, Kim B.

Shelby K. on 3/23/00 at 00:00 (017749)

Helene,
I have been seeing a PT for 2 weeks now. My PT has been doing 12-15 minutes of Iontophoresis 3 x's per week. My understanding is that it is similiar to having the cortizone injection (I've had six), just much more pleasant. According to my PT it takes 15-20 of these treatments to equal one injection. This is the only treatment my PT has tried. I have tried everything else under the sun (cortizone injections, stretching, icing, anti-inflammatories, second opionions from another pod, ultrasound, orthotics, and birkenstock shoes). I am scheduled for an EPF on April 19 and I wanted to try a PT before having the EPF. Giving the PT a try is worth it. Right now I'm finding the pain isn't intense as I await the surgery. Good luck!

Helene M on 3/24/00 at 00:00 (017757)

What is iontophoresis?
Kim, you are right. I want to & plan to be in control.

Kathy on 3/24/00 at 00:00 (017769)

Helen,
I've been going to PT for the last 6 weeks and started with iontophoresis which are small electrods hook up to your leg and heel it feels like a slight stinging sensation, I found it wasn't helping me so then moved onto ultrsound with cortisone cream and that seemed to give me relief for a short time but now I'm back to square one with one week left of PT. I was scheduled for epf surgery in Feb. but canceled when I found this message board and have decided to have sonorex treatments done, if that doesn't work I can always have surgery later on but wanted to try anything I could that was non-invasive first. I've also tried everything under the sun to help with my pf and I have great hopes for the sonorex prcedure.
Good Luck and keep us posted
Kathy

Pookie on 3/25/00 at 00:00 (017807)

Hi:

From my previous experience with PTs, not all are good. Shop for different ones (I know this is a pain, but worth it). A good PT will know to not work you so aggressively. Make sure and tell them not to start you off full force. They should begin with ultrasound and electrical stimulation with light stretching exercises. I am scheduled for PT for my feet too.

Good luck, and please tell us soon how you are progressing.

Pookie

Kim B. on 3/23/00 at 00:00 (017748)

Hi Helen,

I can't respond to your specific question, because I have no idea what you will be in for when you go, hopefully someone else can relate. I have been to physical therapy but it was for other problems realated to my Fibromyalgia. It was beneficial for me. The sooner you get started, the sooner you will see results.

Just remember this, you are in the driver's seat. YOU dictate how much and at what pace you can proceed with this threapy. Go in with the mind set that you are the master of your body and you will set the pace based on how much you can handle. You call the shots.

I wish you lots of good care.

Regards, Kim B.

Shelby K. on 3/23/00 at 00:00 (017749)

Helene,
I have been seeing a PT for 2 weeks now. My PT has been doing 12-15 minutes of Iontophoresis 3 x's per week. My understanding is that it is similiar to having the cortizone injection (I've had six), just much more pleasant. According to my PT it takes 15-20 of these treatments to equal one injection. This is the only treatment my PT has tried. I have tried everything else under the sun (cortizone injections, stretching, icing, anti-inflammatories, second opionions from another pod, ultrasound, orthotics, and birkenstock shoes). I am scheduled for an EPF on April 19 and I wanted to try a PT before having the EPF. Giving the PT a try is worth it. Right now I'm finding the pain isn't intense as I await the surgery. Good luck!

Helene M on 3/24/00 at 00:00 (017757)

What is iontophoresis?
Kim, you are right. I want to & plan to be in control.

Kathy on 3/24/00 at 00:00 (017769)

Helen,
I've been going to PT for the last 6 weeks and started with iontophoresis which are small electrods hook up to your leg and heel it feels like a slight stinging sensation, I found it wasn't helping me so then moved onto ultrsound with cortisone cream and that seemed to give me relief for a short time but now I'm back to square one with one week left of PT. I was scheduled for epf surgery in Feb. but canceled when I found this message board and have decided to have sonorex treatments done, if that doesn't work I can always have surgery later on but wanted to try anything I could that was non-invasive first. I've also tried everything under the sun to help with my pf and I have great hopes for the sonorex prcedure.
Good Luck and keep us posted
Kathy

Pookie on 3/25/00 at 00:00 (017807)

Hi:

From my previous experience with PTs, not all are good. Shop for different ones (I know this is a pain, but worth it). A good PT will know to not work you so aggressively. Make sure and tell them not to start you off full force. They should begin with ultrasound and electrical stimulation with light stretching exercises. I am scheduled for PT for my feet too.

Good luck, and please tell us soon how you are progressing.

Pookie