Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone have suggestion for good hiking boots

Posted by BarbaraJ on 3/24/00 at 00:00 (017761)

I would like to find a good pair of sturdy, lightweight hiking boots/shoes for some day hiking by a fellow pf sufferer. I am going to go ahead and do it even though I have had a setback in pain level lately. I have a wide front foot, narrow heel and high arch so need a roomy toe box and either arch support built in or enough room for orthotic. Some of the terrain will be rocky but not too steep. Thanks for any recommendations.

Re: Anyone have suggestion for good hiking boots

Kim B. on 3/24/00 at 00:00 (017772)

Hi Barbara,

I can recommend a good pair of boots, but they are not very light weight. They are made by 'Justin Boot' and are available at Western Wear Stores. I think they call them 'Chucca Boots', but they don't look like the Chucca boots we worn in the 70's. Anyway, they don't have a lot of arch support but are plenty roomy for replacement insoles. They have a big rubber soles, and I see a lot blue collar construction type guys wearing them. My husband got me a pair so that I would have something to wear when it is very cold.

I have a wide foot too and after tying on both the mens and womens, I ended up buying the mens and got the extra instep and width I needed without going up a size. They were just a little more comfortable for my big ole duck feet.

Also check into the Timberland boots, I don't have a pair, but I picked them up once and could appreciate how lightweight they are. That is all I know about them at this time.

Do a search on the word boots and see what comes up. You will probably find a post where I discussed these boots before.

Good luck and happy hiking!

Kim B.

BarbaraJ on 3/26/00 at 00:00 (017843)

Thanks Kim. I actually went into the Timberland discount store in Napa yesterday. The pickings in the women's section were pretty slim compared to the men's section so I decided to try on men's. But the smallest men's size they had was a 7 and I wear a 7 women's shoe which does not compare! Anyway, still on the hunt. I will look for the 'chucca boots' and also search the web as you suggested. Why do I never think of doing this first? Duh...

Kim B. on 3/24/00 at 00:00 (017772)

Hi Barbara,

I can recommend a good pair of boots, but they are not very light weight. They are made by 'Justin Boot' and are available at Western Wear Stores. I think they call them 'Chucca Boots', but they don't look like the Chucca boots we worn in the 70's. Anyway, they don't have a lot of arch support but are plenty roomy for replacement insoles. They have a big rubber soles, and I see a lot blue collar construction type guys wearing them. My husband got me a pair so that I would have something to wear when it is very cold.

I have a wide foot too and after tying on both the mens and womens, I ended up buying the mens and got the extra instep and width I needed without going up a size. They were just a little more comfortable for my big ole duck feet.

Also check into the Timberland boots, I don't have a pair, but I picked them up once and could appreciate how lightweight they are. That is all I know about them at this time.

Do a search on the word boots and see what comes up. You will probably find a post where I discussed these boots before.

Good luck and happy hiking!

Kim B.

BarbaraJ on 3/26/00 at 00:00 (017843)

Thanks Kim. I actually went into the Timberland discount store in Napa yesterday. The pickings in the women's section were pretty slim compared to the men's section so I decided to try on men's. But the smallest men's size they had was a 7 and I wear a 7 women's shoe which does not compare! Anyway, still on the hunt. I will look for the 'chucca boots' and also search the web as you suggested. Why do I never think of doing this first? Duh...