Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Interesting Reading

Posted by john h on 3/25/00 at 00:00 (017790)

i would suggest as interesting reading 'Healing Back Pain' by John E. Sarno, M.D. Available at amazon.com. Dr. Sarno touches on PF and other pains including the foot. the thrust of this book is the 'mind body connection'. If you accept some of his theories there could be help for you here. i have neither fully accepted nor discounted his concepts and will re-read this soft cover book. The book was recommended by Dr Andrew Weil who most of you have watched on television. I certainly see myself in some of his patients.

Re: Interesting Reading

alan k on 3/25/00 at 00:00 (017793)

I have the book. Not much practical advice but a good introduction to his system.

He argues that most back pain is due to psychogenetic origins, or a feedback between pain response and the mind. Actually, I just realized that I argue something similar. However, the first precept of his system is to completely stop all phsysical therapy or medical care of any kind which is founded on the assumption that the cause is in your body. You must believe wholeheartedly that the problem is your displaced anger, or other conflict, being referred to the body. You redirect the mind and solve the problem. He has had many successes and has healed some celebrities.

However, even according to him you have to eliminate through medical examination the possibility that you might indeed have a physical-based condition.

Perhaps some of us have pf as only a mental problem (I was a bit miffed when I was given this book by my family, if anyone remembers), but probably most of us would be best served by continuing with body-based therapies.

I do believe that following his ideas partially is great. That is, altering your attitude and relation to your afflicted body parts, while still treating their organic afflictions. That is no longer his systme though, which requires complete attention to the mental processes and that means, first and foremost, refusing to believe that the pain is caused by the body.

alan k

john h on 3/25/00 at 00:00 (017799)

alan: agree you must 'believe' in his theories. my personal expeience tells me that i can certainly increase pain in the back and i beleieve the feet based on the amount of stress or as the doctor would put it 'repressed anger' i am under.i tell my wife she is my repressed anger. the plecebo effect would indicate that frequently what we believe is what we get. i am not throwing away my security blankets (ice,birks,etc) just yet but the good doctor makes some good points and if you 'happen to believe' then who knows what could happen.

alan k on 3/25/00 at 00:00 (017800)

I do believe his theories and that many back spasm type injuries are probably all mental conditions. It's just not practical to do his treatment (whatever it is he doesn't quite say) if you really do have a body-related cause. His treatment calls for your abandoning anything that will make you brain think the problem is with the body. That's not a good idea for anyone who actually has a body related condition like an actual irritated pf.

I agree with you that it can't hurt (and I know it can help) to try and use mental attitude adjustment to diminish the pain. His book might help with that.

alan k

alan k on 3/25/00 at 00:00 (017793)

I have the book. Not much practical advice but a good introduction to his system.

He argues that most back pain is due to psychogenetic origins, or a feedback between pain response and the mind. Actually, I just realized that I argue something similar. However, the first precept of his system is to completely stop all phsysical therapy or medical care of any kind which is founded on the assumption that the cause is in your body. You must believe wholeheartedly that the problem is your displaced anger, or other conflict, being referred to the body. You redirect the mind and solve the problem. He has had many successes and has healed some celebrities.

However, even according to him you have to eliminate through medical examination the possibility that you might indeed have a physical-based condition.

Perhaps some of us have pf as only a mental problem (I was a bit miffed when I was given this book by my family, if anyone remembers), but probably most of us would be best served by continuing with body-based therapies.

I do believe that following his ideas partially is great. That is, altering your attitude and relation to your afflicted body parts, while still treating their organic afflictions. That is no longer his systme though, which requires complete attention to the mental processes and that means, first and foremost, refusing to believe that the pain is caused by the body.

alan k

john h on 3/25/00 at 00:00 (017799)

alan: agree you must 'believe' in his theories. my personal expeience tells me that i can certainly increase pain in the back and i beleieve the feet based on the amount of stress or as the doctor would put it 'repressed anger' i am under.i tell my wife she is my repressed anger. the plecebo effect would indicate that frequently what we believe is what we get. i am not throwing away my security blankets (ice,birks,etc) just yet but the good doctor makes some good points and if you 'happen to believe' then who knows what could happen.

alan k on 3/25/00 at 00:00 (017800)

I do believe his theories and that many back spasm type injuries are probably all mental conditions. It's just not practical to do his treatment (whatever it is he doesn't quite say) if you really do have a body-related cause. His treatment calls for your abandoning anything that will make you brain think the problem is with the body. That's not a good idea for anyone who actually has a body related condition like an actual irritated pf.

I agree with you that it can't hurt (and I know it can help) to try and use mental attitude adjustment to diminish the pain. His book might help with that.

alan k