Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Opinions re/ orthotics

Posted by Beth D. on 3/27/00 at 00:00 (017882)

Hi all,

I am having maximum pain the past few days. I needed to put the Birks away for a while because the toe grip made my right toe hurt tremendously. I have been experimenting with my new Birk inserts and various shoes/sneakers. The problem with these or my custom made pair is that my left foot gets an inflammed, burny, ache in teh heel when I wear either of the orthotics. My right foot always feels inflammed and painful (even to some extent in the Birks) and I always need to walk as little as possible. My left foot feels fine in the Birks-very comfortable, no toe grip problem. Although PF was diagnosed in both feet, in general if one's bothering me it's my right.

My question (finally getting to it!) is: is there any danger in not wearing orthotics in both shoes? All this afternoon I've had my left foot just in my sneaker (the one one I finally found the orthotic would do ok in). It's not as painful as my right foot-less burny, achey feeling (maybe a 2 whereas the right is a 9 on a pain scale). Even sitting down right now it's my right that feels bad. The reason I'm doing this is I'm thinking that maybe my left is ok on it's own. I don't know what to do anymore. After almost a year of not walking much I'm facing another summer of not being up to the speed my kids are.

Thanks for you all being here. You are the only ones who really understand the ramifications of this condition.

Beth

Re: Opinions re/ orthotics

john h on 3/27/00 at 00:00 (017886)

opinion only: most of us have multiple pairs of orthotics and keep on trying. i sometimes wonder if we do not do more damage than good by changing orthotics. our feet, it seems to me, need to get accustomed to something. each time we change orthotics we put new pressures on different muscles,fasca,tendons, etc. if you have a definite mechanical problem then orthotics seems to make a lot of sense. but if you cannot identify exactly what the problem is you could be making it worse. we probably need to strengthen our foot structure in most cases. orthotics has a place in the treatment of our problems but many doctors just want to sell orthotics.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/00 at 00:00 (017895)

Here my take on orthosis after twenty years of experience and four years on podiatric biomechanis. They can work if they fit into your shoe. They can helpl if your really do have excessive pronation, but if your foot needs the extra motion they will hurt the foot and cause more pain. They can cause corns hammer toe by takeing to much room in your shoe. In theory they are great in reality read what people are telling you. I once sat on the boardwalk at a podiatry seminar after a very long biomechanical lecture about orthosis. Every person that i watched walk have a different gait. So where is the normal gait, can you change a gait that you had have all of your life. I will probaby
have my DPM degree taken away but let's use comment sense when it comes to orthosis. In my office i alway have had a complete money back return policy which is if you are not satisfied after wearing the orthosis for 90 days please return them and i will give you your money back. I try to tell every new podiatrist in my office that orthotic patients will hate you if they don't work. This web site has proven my theory about orthosis. My profession gave orthosis to the world and now they will have to stand behind them. Do you think there is anything wrong with a money back return for orthosis??? I could go on about my feeling concerning orthosis but I think you get my point.

john h on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017916)

in recent months i have paid very particular attention to how people walk on the indoor track i frequent. some people so over pronate that it appears their ankle bone will almost touch the track and yet they walk fast and appear in no pain, some walk pigeon toed, some suppinate, it is amazing the different ways our feet strike the ground. if a guy has over pronated for a lifetime and develops PF for some other reason and then is put in orthotics to correct his over pronation it would appear he may develop a new problem.

Re: Opinions re/ orthotics/Dr. Zuckerman

Mary Ann S on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017930)

Too bad most other podiatrists aren't as 'interested' in their patients as you are. I wish I were able to go to a Dr. who was willing to discuss different things about a condition. Your web site is very good. And the way you fit orthotics makes sense.

When I first went to a poditrist many years ago, He did xrays from under the foot while standing. No one I have gone to has done anything like that. I think that shows more of the structure.

Keep up the good work.

Helene M on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017975)

I wish I could get my podiatrist to read what you just wrote, Dr. Zuckerman. Of course, he never will. I've paid $400.00 for orthotics which injured my arches & I've been suffering for several months ever since. I know he won't refund my money, either although I'm thinking of asking him.

john h on 3/27/00 at 00:00 (017886)

opinion only: most of us have multiple pairs of orthotics and keep on trying. i sometimes wonder if we do not do more damage than good by changing orthotics. our feet, it seems to me, need to get accustomed to something. each time we change orthotics we put new pressures on different muscles,fasca,tendons, etc. if you have a definite mechanical problem then orthotics seems to make a lot of sense. but if you cannot identify exactly what the problem is you could be making it worse. we probably need to strengthen our foot structure in most cases. orthotics has a place in the treatment of our problems but many doctors just want to sell orthotics.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/00 at 00:00 (017895)

Here my take on orthosis after twenty years of experience and four years on podiatric biomechanis. They can work if they fit into your shoe. They can helpl if your really do have excessive pronation, but if your foot needs the extra motion they will hurt the foot and cause more pain. They can cause corns hammer toe by takeing to much room in your shoe. In theory they are great in reality read what people are telling you. I once sat on the boardwalk at a podiatry seminar after a very long biomechanical lecture about orthosis. Every person that i watched walk have a different gait. So where is the normal gait, can you change a gait that you had have all of your life. I will probaby
have my DPM degree taken away but let's use comment sense when it comes to orthosis. In my office i alway have had a complete money back return policy which is if you are not satisfied after wearing the orthosis for 90 days please return them and i will give you your money back. I try to tell every new podiatrist in my office that orthotic patients will hate you if they don't work. This web site has proven my theory about orthosis. My profession gave orthosis to the world and now they will have to stand behind them. Do you think there is anything wrong with a money back return for orthosis??? I could go on about my feeling concerning orthosis but I think you get my point.

john h on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017916)

in recent months i have paid very particular attention to how people walk on the indoor track i frequent. some people so over pronate that it appears their ankle bone will almost touch the track and yet they walk fast and appear in no pain, some walk pigeon toed, some suppinate, it is amazing the different ways our feet strike the ground. if a guy has over pronated for a lifetime and develops PF for some other reason and then is put in orthotics to correct his over pronation it would appear he may develop a new problem.

Re: Opinions re/ orthotics/Dr. Zuckerman

Mary Ann S on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017930)

Too bad most other podiatrists aren't as 'interested' in their patients as you are. I wish I were able to go to a Dr. who was willing to discuss different things about a condition. Your web site is very good. And the way you fit orthotics makes sense.

When I first went to a poditrist many years ago, He did xrays from under the foot while standing. No one I have gone to has done anything like that. I think that shows more of the structure.

Keep up the good work.

Helene M on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017975)

I wish I could get my podiatrist to read what you just wrote, Dr. Zuckerman. Of course, he never will. I've paid $400.00 for orthotics which injured my arches & I've been suffering for several months ever since. I know he won't refund my money, either although I'm thinking of asking him.