Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: study saying Vit. C detrimental

Posted by Nancy S. on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017929)

Did anyone read about this study, which was reported in the newspapers about three weeks ago? Sorry, I've lost the article, but the results of the study, they said, showed that Vit. C in supplement form -- any form but food, I believe they said -- blocks arteries to the heart. The article said that people taking it in supplement form are more prone to heart attacks. I've been afraid to take it since then, not that I believe everything I read, but this little item put a scare into me. Has anyone heard any more news on this? --Nancy

Bob G. on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017932)

Yes, Nancy, early this morning I was listening to the medical talk show 'Here's to you health'. The subject you mentioned came up and after much discussion the bottom line was Vitamin C is not bad for your heart or arteries. While I was taking a stretch break I heard them say Vitamin C is good for you and does not hurt your heart.

This opinion came from the medical doctor hosting the show, I listen to the show often and think he knows.

I take Vitamin C, more than usual during these past 6 months and plan to continue taking it til I die - hopefully my demise will not be attributed to Vitamin C. LOL

Bob G. on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017933)

They must have been discussing Vitamin C in supplement form because they were disputing the recent negative publicity. If there is anything to it, I am sure we'll all hear more about it from the medical media.

Nancy S. on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017934)

I do hope your show was right, Bob! Thanks for responding. I want to keep taking it, but that article scared me. If medical people are disputing the study already, that's a good sign. I actually really hate reading about stuff like that -- I've tended in recent years to put it on the back burner in my mind, because if I believe everything I read, I won't leave the house, won't eat, want to crawl under a rock. I don't want to live in a perpetual state of health fear -- to me, that's no life. I hope your demise is in the unforeseeable future, and that vit. C has nothing to do with it! --Nancy

Bob G. on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017932)

Yes, Nancy, early this morning I was listening to the medical talk show 'Here's to you health'. The subject you mentioned came up and after much discussion the bottom line was Vitamin C is not bad for your heart or arteries. While I was taking a stretch break I heard them say Vitamin C is good for you and does not hurt your heart.

This opinion came from the medical doctor hosting the show, I listen to the show often and think he knows.

I take Vitamin C, more than usual during these past 6 months and plan to continue taking it til I die - hopefully my demise will not be attributed to Vitamin C. LOL

Bob G. on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017933)

They must have been discussing Vitamin C in supplement form because they were disputing the recent negative publicity. If there is anything to it, I am sure we'll all hear more about it from the medical media.

Nancy S. on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017934)

I do hope your show was right, Bob! Thanks for responding. I want to keep taking it, but that article scared me. If medical people are disputing the study already, that's a good sign. I actually really hate reading about stuff like that -- I've tended in recent years to put it on the back burner in my mind, because if I believe everything I read, I won't leave the house, won't eat, want to crawl under a rock. I don't want to live in a perpetual state of health fear -- to me, that's no life. I hope your demise is in the unforeseeable future, and that vit. C has nothing to do with it! --Nancy