Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

taping helps, birks???

Posted by hcow on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017941)

I had to go see my family doctor because of insurance protocol and he
did suggest taping the feet while at work. i have done that for two days and although there is still pain it isnt as unbearable as before.
I am glad to have just a little relief. I am new to this message board but have found it very helpful in the short time i have been reading. thanks all. do the birkenstock inserts really help???

Re: taping helps, birks???

salina on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017956)

Hi, What taping method do you use and what kind of tape?
Did your doctor show you how to tape? Or did you read it in the PF book on this site?
How easy is it for you to do it yourself? I am interested because I tried, and just had a mess of tape and hurt my foot. so I gave up, but it looks like it is something that would help. thank you in advance for ansering my questions.

wendyn on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017959)

Hi Salina, I am struggling to learn to tape too. My pod told me to use plain old white hockey tape. Get someone to help you tape, it will make it a lot easier! Preferably go to a podiatrist or PT and have them show you and your husband how to tape - then you can modify as you get the hang of it. It's a lot easier when you know how the tape should feel on your foot.

I think Scott's main page also may have taping instructions.

It can make a big difference when you're in a lot of pain and need to be on your feet.

Rick R on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017969)

Hey der,

Hockey tape, I would have never guessed. I still haven't done my photos of my taping, shame on me. I go from a virtual cripple to being able to run and catch 2 out of 3 of my kids when taped up. It could be that I'm the only one that will have such a profound benefit from this method but I suspect not.

Rick

salina on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017984)

Thanks Wendy,
Does the hockey tape come off easy? And do you get it at a sports store or just anywhere, and which section?
I go to the podiatrist this afternoon, and I am going to let him know I am interested in learning how to tape. I hope he is helpful in this. I am going to print out Scott's stuff on it too and get serious about it.
As to what Rick said, that is great that it makes such a difference for you when you tape. When I first got this, I thought I would be over it in a few weeks with rest. Now that this definately didn't happen, I have to get serious with at least trying to get on with life as much as possible. I hope when I figure it out, i can also report that it helps. My kids keep wanting mom to go on field trips and go skating, now they have added ice skating to the list. I wish they would think of something i can actually do. I did get my boys into playing chess recently. I would much rather be taped up and at the park though. Maybe one day soon.

wendyn on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017987)

Make sure you get _White_ hockey tape. It came off easily in one big chunk. I don't know how popular hockey is where you are, so I don't know where you may find it. We would find it anywhere like Walmart or at any place you'd find hockey equipment.

hcow on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018003)

The doctor did show me once but it took me about five times to tape both feet and it be comfortable in my shoes ( extra wide new balance 702 tennis shoes) but the method is very similar to the diagram on this website. I have just used white athletic tape. I also use a
foam pre-wrap so the tape doesnt irritate my feet.
I work 10 hour shifts and it has helped.
I have ordered the birkenstock arch supports and look forward to trying them. I will post after i try them hope this helps

salina on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017956)

Hi, What taping method do you use and what kind of tape?
Did your doctor show you how to tape? Or did you read it in the PF book on this site?
How easy is it for you to do it yourself? I am interested because I tried, and just had a mess of tape and hurt my foot. so I gave up, but it looks like it is something that would help. thank you in advance for ansering my questions.

wendyn on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017959)

Hi Salina, I am struggling to learn to tape too. My pod told me to use plain old white hockey tape. Get someone to help you tape, it will make it a lot easier! Preferably go to a podiatrist or PT and have them show you and your husband how to tape - then you can modify as you get the hang of it. It's a lot easier when you know how the tape should feel on your foot.

I think Scott's main page also may have taping instructions.

It can make a big difference when you're in a lot of pain and need to be on your feet.

Rick R on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017969)

Hey der,

Hockey tape, I would have never guessed. I still haven't done my photos of my taping, shame on me. I go from a virtual cripple to being able to run and catch 2 out of 3 of my kids when taped up. It could be that I'm the only one that will have such a profound benefit from this method but I suspect not.

Rick

salina on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017984)

Thanks Wendy,
Does the hockey tape come off easy? And do you get it at a sports store or just anywhere, and which section?
I go to the podiatrist this afternoon, and I am going to let him know I am interested in learning how to tape. I hope he is helpful in this. I am going to print out Scott's stuff on it too and get serious about it.
As to what Rick said, that is great that it makes such a difference for you when you tape. When I first got this, I thought I would be over it in a few weeks with rest. Now that this definately didn't happen, I have to get serious with at least trying to get on with life as much as possible. I hope when I figure it out, i can also report that it helps. My kids keep wanting mom to go on field trips and go skating, now they have added ice skating to the list. I wish they would think of something i can actually do. I did get my boys into playing chess recently. I would much rather be taped up and at the park though. Maybe one day soon.

wendyn on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017987)

Make sure you get _White_ hockey tape. It came off easily in one big chunk. I don't know how popular hockey is where you are, so I don't know where you may find it. We would find it anywhere like Walmart or at any place you'd find hockey equipment.

hcow on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (018003)

The doctor did show me once but it took me about five times to tape both feet and it be comfortable in my shoes ( extra wide new balance 702 tennis shoes) but the method is very similar to the diagram on this website. I have just used white athletic tape. I also use a
foam pre-wrap so the tape doesnt irritate my feet.
I work 10 hour shifts and it has helped.
I have ordered the birkenstock arch supports and look forward to trying them. I will post after i try them hope this helps