Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: It sounds your doc's ego does not like to listen to you

Posted by Pookie on 3/28/00 at 00:00 (017946)

My experience with docs is that if I a doc does not want to listen to what I think my body is telling me, then out the window he goes. I have shopped for docs, PTs, etc because I am 100% sure that as a patient, I live with my body, and therefore I know more about my body than they do. Docs only have head knowledge, and they can give you educated guesses, but you, you know your body and what it is telling you.

Pookie

FWS on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017962)

This is a response to Pookie, Cheryl and Laurie. I agree that I should probably get another doctor. My current doctor is a podiatrist and I was satisfied with him until recently. He is for trying expensive custom orthotics at this stage and doesn't seem amenable to even considering a cast. I'm not sure why. I may yet try the custom orthotics, but my experience with numerous orthotics is that they help a little, but are not the solution to my PF. I also read a study which found that custom orthotics are no more effective than regular ones.

I thought of trying a hard cast next for reasons similar to Lauries. - enforced rest of my foot, and because of reports that they are effective in healing PF. Until now, I have tried about everything else and I won't consider surgery, which seems to create more problems than It solves.

The problem is finding a doctor who will listen to me and try things which I haven't tried yet, whether it's a cast or something else.
Laurie, could you recommend your doctor. I saw in one of your earlier postings that you are from the Bay Area. I live in Northern California, not that far from you, depending on traffic, of course. I'm willing to drive for several hours to find the right doctor.

Thank you all for your interest. Good luck on Thursday, Laurie.

Re: It sounds your doc's ego does not like to listen to youFWS

Laurie R on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017978)

Hi FWS,
PLEASE e-mail me (email removed) Tell me where you live and who is your doctor.Laurie R

FWS on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017962)

This is a response to Pookie, Cheryl and Laurie. I agree that I should probably get another doctor. My current doctor is a podiatrist and I was satisfied with him until recently. He is for trying expensive custom orthotics at this stage and doesn't seem amenable to even considering a cast. I'm not sure why. I may yet try the custom orthotics, but my experience with numerous orthotics is that they help a little, but are not the solution to my PF. I also read a study which found that custom orthotics are no more effective than regular ones.

I thought of trying a hard cast next for reasons similar to Lauries. - enforced rest of my foot, and because of reports that they are effective in healing PF. Until now, I have tried about everything else and I won't consider surgery, which seems to create more problems than It solves.

The problem is finding a doctor who will listen to me and try things which I haven't tried yet, whether it's a cast or something else.
Laurie, could you recommend your doctor. I saw in one of your earlier postings that you are from the Bay Area. I live in Northern California, not that far from you, depending on traffic, of course. I'm willing to drive for several hours to find the right doctor.

Thank you all for your interest. Good luck on Thursday, Laurie.

Re: It sounds your doc's ego does not like to listen to youFWS

Laurie R on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017978)

Hi FWS,
PLEASE e-mail me (email removed) Tell me where you live and who is your doctor.Laurie R